PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot/Chokes Question

Sportdog
January 15, 2008, 11:21 AM
I have a Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge with all available Remington chokes. What choke would you use for deer hunting with 00 Buckshot? I'm thinking that my Xtra Full Turkey choke would hold a tighter pattern and give me maximum effective range. Is the use of 00 Buckshot a problem in that tight of choke? My hunting area is a mix of field, open woods, and some very thick swamp. I use my NEA 12 Rifled barrel with copper solids for the open areas but thought the bucksholt might do a better job in the thicker areas. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank You!

JBriggs
January 15, 2008, 11:28 AM
I've used my improved cylinder with buckshot for years and it seems to give me the patterns I need.

classic095
January 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
I am setting here with a box of Remington 00 Buck shells, says "may be used with any choke, but best reslults are with a Full Choke"

rem870hunter
January 15, 2008, 03:55 PM
i would not use full choke for buckshot larger than #4 . others may agree as well with this i patterend different sizes and brands at 25 yds. with my slug barrel and at 30 yds and 40 yds with my vent rib. using mod and full chokes. i know the remington boxes read best with full choke. idk why but they do. i would not use 00 anyhow. too few pellets. try #4 and #1 buckshot 2 and 3/4" and 3" if you have a magnum shotgun. shoot at a 9" paper plate see which buckshot sizes give you the most pellets inside the plate. and look to see where the other pellets go. this is important i guess look a some thread pages back in the shotgun area of TFL forums for a thread post titled. " patterend buckshot did better than the last time" those were my results. they may differ from yours. by all means pattern the gun with different choke constrictions at different distances and with different brands and sizes of buckshot.

john1911
January 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
Buy some buckshot and test for yourself. Best way.

ArizonaRick
January 15, 2008, 07:35 PM
I shoot alot of buckshot, both factory and reloads.
Federal rounds with flight control wad is the absolute best with Mod / Light Mod choke.

Most other factory buckshot rounds will shoot best with Mod or IC.

Lite reloads - 12ga (1250 fps with 8 - OO buck) patterns much better than than heavy mag loads. Use Unique and Rem 1-1/4 oz wad.

Good luck

Rigby1962
January 20, 2008, 04:24 AM
Unless you’re restricted by some ordnance or going into thick cover after a wounded leopard, I wouldn’t use buckshot.

bswiv
January 20, 2008, 05:08 AM
We use Buckshot for hogs in the thick stuff once our deer season ends and we are no longer allowed to use rifles.

I've tried a number of buckshot loads through both my IC and Full chokes and it seems that the Full keeps them tighter. That said I also get the feeling from the paterns I've examined that 40 yards is to far for my setup.

I just do not have any faith in it based on the spread I see at that range.

Like someone said though if I was VERY serious about it the best thing to do would be to borrow a number of different chokes, including at least a couple of the fancy Extra-Full Extended tubes and one Skeet tube and then go to the range. And I'd arrive at the range with a few boxes of different brands of buckshot. I'd try them all in the different barrels.

It's be a project taking some time, and as I shoot a short barreled ( 20 inch ) Mossberg that kicks like a mule with 3 inch shells, and I weigh only about 150 pounds, I'd also be carrying some aspirin.

One thought on buckshot size. I do understand the comment made about using small sizes to give better coverage. I've heard that all my life. And I'll admit to having used #1s for a couple of years becasue I kind of bought into the idea.

Here is what I found though, after cleaning a number of hogs.

The #1 pellets did not seem to penetrate enough. Yes they killed at short range but they also did more meat damage due to the increased numbers. At longer ranges, especially on hogs, they lack the mass to do it well.

And note that the genisis of this thread was to figure out how to extend the effective range/pattern with buckshot. If you find a choke that tosses buckshot well at 40 or 45 yards I think you would be much better served by having the bigger shot with it's better penetration............