PDA

View Full Version : Changing Bead Site on Mossberg 590

ghanson
January 11, 2008, 06:14 PM
This is my first shotgun so be gentle:

I want to replace the front bead site with a TruGlo bead. Before I go digging at it with a pair of Vise-Grips I thought I should check here.

Is there anything special involved in removing the standard bead site? I'm assuming it's a standard screw-in situation and I can simply wrap the site with a thin towel (to protect from scratching) and use pliers to unscrew. Am I correct or is there something different that I need to know?

Thanks for helping the new guy...

hogdogs
January 11, 2008, 07:44 PM
I would invest in some nut drivers that go down that small... that is if it a threaded bead which I think it may be. A piece of electrical tape will suffice on the nut driver or side of visegrip jaws to protect the gun.
Lemme know what you think of the new sight...
Brent

ghanson
January 11, 2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Brent. According to TruGlo the Mossberg plain barrel is a screw-in with 5-40 threads. I'll try using electrical tape.

Rob96
January 12, 2008, 06:00 AM
the Mossberg plain barrel is a screw-in with 5-40 threads.

You got it. But I don't know if they use a little loctite in there. I want to switch mine out to a Marble's Bead night sight.

rantingredneck
January 12, 2008, 06:19 AM
I use a small crescent wrench to remove mine. Works better and doesn't fudge things up like pliers can (been there, done that too).

rantingredneck
January 12, 2008, 06:20 AM
As to loctite, maybe, maybe not. I've taken some off that I think were and some that were definitely not loctited. If there is any loctite there and you feel resistance, heat the area around the bead slightly to release the loctite.

ghanson
January 12, 2008, 02:17 PM
Done.

I used electrical tape to protect the barrel and a crescent wrench to unscrew the site. It came off easily and the TruGlo Starbrite Deluxe bead went on just as easily.

The TruGlo does light up and provides a dot that's easy to pick up. It's not like a beacon or anything but it does help. I haven't shot with it yet but will report back after I get to the range.

Thanks for the help, y'all.

APS
January 12, 2008, 10:49 PM
ghanson, thanks for the update. Nice to know it came off easily. I will most likely be buying an 18.5" 20 gauge M500 tomorrow for HD and will be replacing the bead with a tritium one like Brownells sells. Also, your post provided me with the proper screw thread type.

When you installed the new sight, did the shaft/screw part just happen to be the right length so that when you screwed it in the sight was pointing in the right direction and still be tight? Or did you need to remove some threads to get it to line up?

Thanks again.
Adam

ghanson
January 13, 2008, 12:06 PM
Adam,
It went on and lined up well - no adjustment necessary. I don't know if I got lucky or their machining is that right on.

I couldn't find a shotgun bead site in Tritium when I was looking for the replacement. Do you have a model number or link to one that will fit onto a plain barrel?

ghanson
January 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
Uggh. I just realized I've been using "site" instead of "sight." Too much time on websites, I guess. Please excuse the error...:confused:

APS
January 13, 2008, 03:41 PM
ghanson, thanks for the info. This is what I've found so far with respect to tritium beads.

This thread measurement might not work:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6846&title=TRU-DOT%20DAY/NIGHT%20SHOTGUN%20BEAD

This one has a model with the thread type you mentioned:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=19914

This is a stick on model. Given XS's reputation I guess if you use the right epoxy it won't come off. But I think it costs a bit much considering it's stick on.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24532&title=SHOTGUN%20BIG%20DOT%20TRITIUM%20FRONT%20SIGHT#specs

Adam

ghanson
January 13, 2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the links. Let me know if you go with a tritium sight and how you like it.

Nemsis
January 13, 2008, 07:44 PM
I have the XS epoxy on sight on my 870 bead and pedistal sight it's great a major improvement, I have atleast 300 rounds through the gun since then and it hasn't moved.