PDA

View Full Version : Worst quality control and customer service ever: Kickin' A Bags

kamerer
January 11, 2008, 02:24 AM
After hearing good things about Kickiin' A Packs aka Tommy's gun packs, I thought I'd give a go at their higher-line MD range bag.

A nicely designed bag, but really cheaply made in China, and really poor quality control. I had a few zippers that flat didn't work, and of course missed the details on their web site that says flat out "If you but it it's yours and their are no returns."

This was buried lines down from their reassuring "We guarantee all our products for life." I figured that a guarantee was a guarantee - at least that it would work when you opened the box!

Another shocker was all their products I bought said "Made in China." I ordered because I was led to believe they were US made, but again, it was their tricky wording "we are right here in Simi Valley, CA." It took it to mean made there, but I guess what they meant was that was where they mailed the checks to China from!

Pretty tricky ethics there. When I got all but one zipper working after over an hour of repair. I had the bag working and the only non-functional part was on one of the pistol "rugs" I bought, I contacted them to ask if I could return that one and get a replacement.

I was told, and i have the emails to prove it, that they told me I was "being ridiculous" and that wasn't a reasonable request for them to repair/replace a new item they sent defective. They said they would, I'd pay to mail it back and they'd charge me "only" the cost of a new pouch and return postage. They quite literally told me to "buy a new one and they'd ship it quickly."

Wow, what a sleazy and dishonest bunch. This product was new out of the box. I really recommend going with a Midway or Dillon product and avoiding them.

I'm not the whining type, and indeed this is my first ever post on any forum ever about "watch these bozos" - but these guys deserve it.

BlkHawk73
January 11, 2008, 10:10 PM
To me, just the corny name would been enough for m to stay clear. may sound silly but a LOT is said about what a company names thier product and themselevs. Just look at the silly TV infomercials and all the crap them sell and it's names.
As for the trickery, it's all aboutleading the customer to believe what they;re reading is what they want to see not what actually is written.

4V50 Gary
January 12, 2008, 11:00 AM
The pack comes with Kickin' A Packs and Stuff's® lifetime warranty on all material and workmanship (zippers do not fall into either category and are not guaranteed - sorry folks).

Kamerer - I just cut & pasted that from their website. Was that "zipper" clause originally there when you bought your PoS or did they add that subsequently?

Adrian
January 12, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty sure they're editing their site on the fly. This morning when I checked in on it, it looked like this:

OUR WARRANTY: Every single Kickin' A product is manufactured to the highest possible standards to ensure that every product we sell is to our personal satisfaction - both in terms of the durability of the fabric and the efficiency of the item's functionality. We won't ever offer anything to our customers that we do not ourselves believe in or would hesitate to take into the field - period. To demonstrate our desire to stand by everything that we sell, all of our products come with a LIFETIME GUARANTEE on all material and workmanship.
The only thing we DO NOT guarantee for life are the zippers. Kickin' A Packs 'N Stuff® uses only the finest heavy-duty number 10 coil zippers. These zippers are rugged and their mechanisms work beautifully - they are truly the very best you can buy. But we do not manufacture these zippers and thus do not exercise the same amount of control over them as we do the rest of our packs' constituent parts and, therefore, cannot place any sort of a guarantee on them.

Personally, if I'm going for the "very best I can buy", I'm going for a brass-toothed zipper, not a plastic coil, but maybe their definition is different from mine. I can't personally see how you could make an exception for the zipper on those grounds, though; I doubt they weave their own nylon straps, either, for example. You find a supplier you can trust and you stand behind it same as anything else. It's a "material".

kamerer, just to satisfy my curiosity, could you take a look at the zipper tabs and tell me what they're using? I'd believe them more (and just chalk it up to bad support) if they were using YKKs or Pryms, but given all the defensive posturing my first guess is that they aren't.

4V50 Gary
January 12, 2008, 02:43 PM
Adrian, you're right. I went this morning and did a cut & paste. Now it's different from when I looked at it earlier. I'd stay away from any of their products.

Jay1958
January 12, 2008, 03:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I know nothing about Kickin A or Tommys, but my Uncle Mike's Concealment Pack has served me well for a long time. Never had a problem with the zippers, or anything else. Picked it up on sale a few years ago for about $20. I think the regular price is up to around $40 now.

A check of their website shows that they are called "Uncle Mike's GunRunner Fanny Pack Holster", but actually they are not holsters per se, unless anything that contains a handgun is referred to as a "holster".

I am not affiliated with Uncle Mike's in any way, except as a satisfied customer. Their stuff isn't the best available, nor the cheapest available, but in my experience some of their stuff is about the best you can get for the least money - especially when you catch it on sale or at a discount.

BillCA
January 12, 2008, 04:52 PM
I have a similar bag, made by Everest, that I picked up at a gunshow. My guess is that the seller used the Everest bag and either made or purchased five inner sleeves and packaged them as a unit for $29.99.

The Everest bag is $16.99 without the inner "gun pouches".
http://everestbags.com/item--Everest-Multiple-Pocket-Utility-Bag--1010.html

And yes, it's made in China and has a plastic zipper... but it works.

kamerer
January 14, 2008, 09:51 PM
Guys,

Thanks a lot for actually making me stop thinking I'm crazy. I mean, I don't get in fights or have bad experiences with people - you can ask a ton of guys at the S&W forum I trade guns and accessories with (just as a hobby - I love old S&Ws).

The zippers are just plastic, and they come mis-installed and non-functional out of the box.

The irrational folks there actually said I "wasn't worthy of using his productis" and that "whiners like you make me sick" or about those words. I have the emails - they are completely unbelievable.

I think meth may be a bigger problem in this country than we think! (Wink)

M3 Pilot
January 16, 2008, 12:19 AM
I wish you'd seen my old post from Dec. 12,2006. These crooks have been at it for some time. They sent me an email about their great sale for former customers recently. I replied to them that I'd carry my stuff in a used ostomy bag before I'd buy anything else from them. When I had a problem with the bag I bought from them, they wouldn't even reply to my emails. Poor quality,non-existant customer service,run by *******s.