PDA

View Full Version : Got my lever action last night... & an interesting feature...

Magnum Wheel Man
January 10, 2008, 08:28 AM
so I've been eyeing this IAC Lever action 12 Ga. for a long time ( you know the one... you may have seen it in Terminator 2... but with the stock bobbed off to a pistol grip for the movie )

they are made mostly for cowboy action shooting, but there was a special sheet of instructions included for "fast fire double shot"... appearently, you can put a shell in the chamber, & one on the loading fork, & be able to match the speed of a slide action with the 1st 2 shots, by a quick ( short stroke ) of the lever...

I have not shot the gun yet, but it does look kind of cool, & maybe I can talk one of my buddies into smoothing out some of the roughness from the action...

... anyway, curious how many own one, or have had the chance to play with one ???

here's what it looks like...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29377&stc=1&d=1199971661

rantingredneck
January 10, 2008, 09:16 AM
I've looked at them before and still would like to have one for the novelty factor. Never have fired one though.

pesta2
January 11, 2008, 01:11 PM
I always wondered why a U.S manufacture did not start producing these again. I would love to have one. I bet you already have tired to twirl it around to work the lever like Arnold did, didn’t you?;)

Magnum Wheel Man
January 11, 2008, 03:17 PM
In the movie, the stock was bobbed to a pistol grip... if I tried, I'd probably just smack myself in the face with the end of the barrel, or my luck, I'd break off the lever...:mad:

& yes, I'd have prefered even a larger more well known maker, or an American company... but it as so unique, that I had to get one...

Hawg
January 11, 2008, 04:30 PM
The drop two feature is because SASS only allows two rounds to be loaded and they have to be loaded on the clock. It's not a rapid fire feature and doesn't usually work right without some extra tuning. The carrier doesn't come all the way up without a full stroke on the lever, at least my original doesn't. IAC guns are usually a little rough out of the box and need an extended breaking in period or smoothing up by a gunsmith that knows these guns. I don't have an IAC 87 but I have an IAC 97 and after a few hundred round it's pretty slick. Don't mean to rub it in but IAC's don't have this.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/shotgun/Shotgun059.jpg :D

44capnball
January 11, 2008, 11:32 PM
Can you shoot hi brass smokeless loads in that IAC or just black powder?

Hawg
January 12, 2008, 12:03 AM
You can shoot heavy smokeless loads but it's chambered for 2 3/4 so you can't shoot 3 inchers in it.

SDBuckaroo
January 12, 2008, 12:48 PM
Had a guy (CASS shooter) who brought one of those to our trap shoot last weekend and embarrassed a bunch of us with it!

He was a crack shot with that stubby little thing.

Magnum Wheel Man
January 15, 2008, 05:42 PM
HAWG... I'm guessing from that pic, that your's is an original Browning Patent gun ???

I have a buddy that can smooth over the action if it's needed... wish this brutal cold weather would pass, so I can take it out & try a few shots with it...:D

rocinante
January 18, 2008, 09:46 PM
http://www.coyotecap.com/

This gunsmith specializes in slicking up that shotgun

Hawg
January 18, 2008, 09:54 PM
HAWG... I'm guessing from that pic, that your's is an original Browning Patent gun ???

Made in 1889.

Magnum Wheel Man
January 19, 2008, 02:00 PM
ROC... thanks for the link... my local guy can do some pretty amaizing work on the actions of this type of gun, but I have even been thinking about screw in chokes, ( which he can not do, & your link seems to indicate that they can ) & a rifled choke tube then on occasion using the gun for closer range deer hunting ???

HAWG... even though I've never seen an original... the patenia of the wood was a dead give away... is that one in 10 ga then ???

I'd like to be trying out my new gun, but with a high temp of -6* today / tomorrow... looks like the new shottie will have to wait yet another week for its break in...

Hawg
January 19, 2008, 02:45 PM
HAWG... even though I've never seen an original... the patenia of the wood was a dead give away... is that one in 10 ga then ???

12. The 87's came in 10 and 12. The 1901 came in 10 only.

Magnum Wheel Man
January 24, 2008, 03:12 PM
well -20* this morning... still have not shot the new toy... but I dropped it off with my gun building buddy, yesterday... we are both thinking that the action is very smooth for a new gun, & with all the ugly action comments I've heard about it...

( this guy is capable of building this shot gun, & has rebuilt many old & shot out rifles & pistols for the cowboy action shooting sport )... so he's going to take it all apart & snoop to it's construction ( outwardly, it appears very similar to the original... as per my buddy )... if anything looks rough or hokey on the inside, he'll touch it up while in there, but this one ( at least so far ) seems to be pretty well built...

thoughts of adding a screw in choke tube system, maybe a rifled choke ??? & looking at the possibility of extending the magazine to the end of the barrel for 2 more shells worth of capacity ???

Magnum Wheel Man
January 28, 2008, 09:27 AM
got my gun back from my buddy yesterday... he took it all apart, & thought the construction was ( at least ) very close to original... & commented that the insides were very "clean", even commented that the action was "cleaner" that the last 3 shotguns he's opened up from major manufacturers... :D don't know if they had some issues on the 1st ones recieved, or if my supplier either went through a pile of them, looking for the best, or if I just got lucky, but he called 2 other buddys of his that shoot CASS & had that gun, & all have been really happy, so maybe they have cleaned them up from the earlier releases ??? anyway... I'm pretty happy with mine...

I thought the action felt great... now to get out & shoot the thing...:cool: