PDA

View Full Version : Win 1300 Vented Rib Barrel Scope Mount??

RickInTampa
December 29, 2007, 10:47 PM
Santa just brought me a Winchester 1300 .12 gauge shotgun with a "standard ventilated rib barrel".

I was wondering if it was possible to mount a scope to this barrel, and if so, how?

What would you recommend I purchase and from where?

This is my first foray into shotguns. From what I've read so far, with sabot slugs this thing can be very accurate from 100+ yards. But in order for that to be true, I need to be able to SEE 100 yards! So I'm assuming there's a scope option out there for me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rick

rem870hunter
January 1, 2008, 10:22 PM
i don't know if a scope mount is made for a vent rib barrel. but there a few companies that sell a bracket that mounts on the receiver. some have to be drilled some don't they used existing screws. on the receiver you can install and remove the mounts and not lose scope zero. i have a mount on my 870 express and 1 on each of my 2 870 wingmasters. the brand i have is made by b square.

try cheaperthandirt.com. maybe natchezss too, i think i spelled it right.

look in scope mounts ,bases and rings. they sell a few types for mossberg remington and winchester. i would go with a 2.5x20 scope for rifled slugs. otherwise a 3-9x40 or 3-9x50 for sabots. i don't know how much distance you will get accurately from a vent rib smoothbore.
do you have a fixed choke barrel? or screw in choke type? if it has screw in chokes you may be able to get a rifled tube and shoot sabots to 100 yards.

try and see what happens you may get good results.

RickInTampa
January 3, 2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the tips. I checked out cheaperthandirt.com as well as midway and found a few options. Both are b-square products. Even they are confused about what will/will not work on my gun!

To answer your question about barrel type... Mine uses the "winchoke" system. So it has screw on choke tubes. It came with a "modified" tube only. But I have an "improved" tube and "full" tube on the way. I'm told the improved tube is the best for slugs.

We'll see...

Thanks again for your help!