PDA

View Full Version : Whining about the classified ad...

sdb777
December 26, 2007, 07:46 PM
How many of you have ever taken the time to send someone an email about there ad here?
How many of you that did the first question decided to tell the seller his item was priced to high, and you could get the item at your 'buddies place'(or where ever) for $X,XXX.XX?

You know whom you are....I've received your messages! Do you get a warm fuzzy feeling? Are your trying to overcome some kind of medical illness?

I've seen rifles/handguns that I thought could possibly be over priced but have always thought...."Seller wants X, hope they get it." Not...."Think I'll send that person a message telling them what I think they should sell it for!"
Grow up, if you can't afford it....keep looking, don't whine and moan!

Scott (rant over) B

CGSteve8718
December 26, 2007, 07:59 PM
I sometimes try to correct people's item info on GB.
I make offers if the prices are high, but I never whine to the seller about it. If they refuse my offer for a more reasonable price, then I do just like you say, move on.

Also, this isn't directed at you, but since there are so many different firearm platforms out there, and copies, and fakes, etc. many times sellers don't even know what they are selling, and are going by false info. This doesn't end up being good for buyers or sellers alike. Other times, the sellers actually KNOW they are LIARS and are out to just screw people over and make a buck, and this is REALLY not good for our entire community.

Therefore I feel it is completely acceptable to negotiate and have discussions over sales, and there is a big difference between that and "whining" like you say.

divemedic
December 26, 2007, 08:01 PM
well, I did see your AR50 post, and I passed it by without comment. Since you brought it to THIS forum, I feel like commenting:

The "Blue Book" values the rifle at $2,200 for a 98% rifle. I didn't bother to look at the other stuff that came with it, as that stuff didn't look like it would be worth another $2,600.

I thought $4,800 was way too steep. For what you were asking, you could get a Barrett 99.

BerettaCougar
December 26, 2007, 08:28 PM
I send people messages sometimes.

Example, on Ebay this guy had Iphones for $600.00, even listing them as "rare". I sent him a link to the ATT store and a little note.

"This link is the link I just used to buy my Iphone. $400.00 and a few thousand in stock"

His response was "Good for you".

Also some people that sell guns just try to pull a fast one over on people. This shop near me sells XD's with the package deal (case, extra mag, loader) for $600.00. And they sell new Glocks for $599.00

People need to wise up and stop being suckered. Spread the word as often as possible that the seller is a rip off.

Engloid
December 26, 2007, 08:44 PM
I try to mind my own business, but if the seller is WAY off base, or selling for more than average retail price, it's kind of doing people a favor to point it out.

You hate to do it to a seller, but if they're gouging buyers, they obviously don't have the highest morals...so why feel bad for them? It's like having sympathy for somebody that cheats retired people out of their homes.

sdb777
December 26, 2007, 10:34 PM
All true statements....

As divemedic states..."as that stuff didn't look like it would be worth another $2,600."
(sounds a little like whining), but it's in the open forum....so it's acceptable to me, as I asked the question. But without asking exactly what all the "stuff" is, you couldn't possibly know what it exactly worth...you assumed(we don't even need to define that word-everyone knows what it means already). For instance, what does match prepped 50BMG brass sell for per 100? Once fired is about $75/100, but then you need to make it all the same and labor isn't cheap(at least mine isn't).... That's just one piece of the many, many items.....but lets get to some of the other suggestions.

As Engloid states..."It's like having sympathy for somebody that cheats retired people out of their homes."
(not whining at all, but it's close), but it's in the open forum....so it is also acceptable to me. Have you seen the price of paintings by those dead guys? How about a 1955 Chevy that has like 50miles(I wish) and gets trailered every where it goes? Would you expect to pay fifty cents for the MonaLisa(after all that rotten wood and old paper can't be worth anything)? How about that car? Dang thing couldn't have cost more then $2,800.00 new in the show room.........but yet both are just like anything else ever posted for sale anywhere. Seller assigns a value, if it's too much for you-you can't have it(or you can attempt to make a reasonable offer and hope).

All in all, this is a great board! And I enjoy reading a lot of posts and looking at the classifieds to see where the firearm future is going. I probably spend more time looking then actually getting into discussions...but that's just me.
Long range shooting is what I like to do, and it is extremely fun.... Do I go to competitions? Nah, I shoot against myself...sometimes that's harder. Not like long range shooting is going to make anyone a billionaire....

Just waiting to see what anyone else wants to throw in? Your factual information is welcomed, 'feelings' will be answered........

Scott (why try to belittle a seller?) B

john1911
December 26, 2007, 11:37 PM
I would think the "seller" would get over it. Bringing it here is the ultimate in "whining" IMO.

johnbt
December 27, 2007, 12:33 AM
"How many of you have ever taken the time to send someone an email about there ad here?"

Not me. I don't care how overpriced or underpriced it is. Of course, there aren't too many that are underpriced.

John

Lurch37
December 27, 2007, 12:33 AM
If the item in the ad interests me, and I am "serious" about possibly trying to buy it, I will respond to the ad, either in the open or by a private email. I have and will continue to ask their best price for a given item if I think it's a little high. I have on occasion explained to said person that his/her particular item is priced at this or that price on say GB or AA in an attempt to let them know that I am very interested and hopefully let them know in a nice way, that I think their item may be overpriced.

I don't consider it whining at all, I consider it good business. If the guy/gal doesn't want to come down in price and I don't want to pay that much I say thanks for your time and then I move on. If I respond to any ad it's because I'm serious about buying whatever that person is selling, and I'm going to try and buy it and a price that I think is fair to me.

jbrown
December 27, 2007, 01:47 AM
I had someone pm me and say my gun was way overpriced,he could buy them all day for 1/2 what I was asking.I pm'ed him back the next day and told him it had sold for my price,and they were happy to pay,and he should start buying.
he posted some for sale shortly after,bubba'ed up , drilled and tapped,montecarlo aftermarket stock,etc.No wonder they were half price.:rolleyes:

WeedWacker
December 27, 2007, 02:04 AM
Here would be my examplse as a seller. I have a WPG trilogy Pro Autococker I want to sell. It's fairly new with 2 inserts for the barrel, one at .689 and one at .691. I paid 250 for it and installed a dropforward and macro line on it, 45 and 15 respectively plus labor. If i didn't alter it I would ask about 200 and hope for 115. With all the stuff on I would ask for 250 and hope for 175. If you list somthing high, expect people to come down in their offers. After dealing with my parents and selling a house I can see how some people don't seem to see the value of your time, money, and effort you spend to make something nice then try to sell. People want the best money for whatever they buy, it's just smart. Unfortunately some people want a steal that they can brag to their buds about. Some people want a good deal for what they sell, honest or not. If a price doesn't suit you move on and find someone with a more reasonable (in your mind) price. For the seller, heck if you want to get rid of it you just might need to bend over backwards to touch your toes. (Probably depends on the pressure from your wife :p)

elrod
December 27, 2007, 03:27 PM
If it's priced higher over what you think it's worth, don't buy it!
If he's got the only one ever made, then take it or do without! :rolleyes:
If he dosen't have the only one ever made, then go buy the other one!
If his price is 10X normal, then he won't sell many! (But he won't have to sell as many.)
If somebody else wants to pay the sellers price, how will you sending the seller an email change anything? :confused:

Generally, the market self-corrects. Rarely does an overpriced item sell 10 minutes after it's posted!

RickB
December 27, 2007, 05:42 PM
I have sent helpful emails to sellers on ebay and gunbroker, when they have misidentified something. It's for the mutual benefit of the buyer and seller, since it would be a hassle for both if the buyer finds out, later, that the part was misrepresented. Such as the "rare, left-handed cavalry holster" (they were all 'left-handed'). The last time, it was a guy on gunbroker, selling a stainless Colt that "sat in a gun store for seven or eight years before they went out of business". The gun could have been no older than 2003, since that's when the model was introduced. He was asking $1000 for the gun, when they can be found - on gunbroker - for $750. He probably wasn't going to get many bids, and any buyer would be disappointed when he found out the gun was a current-production model, and not some rare, 8yo heirloom. :) Complaining about the asking price is sort of silly. If the price is too high, nobody will buy it.

TheBluesMan
December 27, 2007, 09:49 PM
RickB said it best:
Complaining about the asking price is sort of silly. If the price is too high, nobody will buy it.

Closed.