PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun care.

George1965
December 26, 2007, 09:22 AM
i have a older Model 31 Remington pump. I can see this gun still has some heavy old black looking grease in the top of the action should i get this out of the gun and if so what should i put back in it. Is oil ok and no grease or should i grease it again..:confused:

George1965
December 26, 2007, 09:15 PM
I guess no one knows. well i will just ask on one of the other forums i am sure i can get a answer there. 38 ppl have looked at the post and not one post. HUMMM :mad:

madcratebuilder
December 26, 2007, 11:41 PM
I like grease for my pump shotguns, Tetra or usgi, some guys like a quality wheelbearing grease. Your choice.

George1965
December 29, 2007, 08:17 AM
So I need to take the gun apart and grease all the moving parts. I have seen some old looking grease up in the top but the slides don't have any on them at all.

ronto
December 29, 2007, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't use grease. Just give it a good cleaning and oil it with a quality gun oil.

classic095
December 29, 2007, 11:30 AM
Remove all the old grease as it could contain some corrosive powder residue. I use GUN SLICK grease on all my shotguns internal parts. not globs but enough to keep the actions working smoothly..:cool:

BigJimP
January 2, 2008, 08:24 PM
Take the gun apart - strip it down completely - take the trigger group as a unit (don't take that down 100% ) - but everything else needs to come out / and clean all that grease off.

"Lightly lube it" - maybe with a little spray oil - like Rig Oil or Rem Oil - but just lightly. If you don't have any spray oil - I'd use Break Free - and just wipe off the excess.

There should not be any grease left in a pump shotgun / the only grease I would recommend on a pump is under the nut to secure the barrel to the receiver ( lube the threads with a light coat of grease ).

In my opinion, a pump gun, like all shotguns, should be cleaned and lubed after every use - that grease build up means it hasn't been cleaned in a long while ........and it will last longer and perform more fluidly if it is cleaned and lubed properly.