PDA

View Full Version : What pump shotgun?

wakerider017
December 25, 2007, 01:34 PM
What pump shotgun would you buy?

Remington 870, Browning BPS, Mossberg, etc?

Looking for a reasonable priced all purpose 12GA 24-28" barrel.

Ruger4570
December 25, 2007, 02:03 PM
I would throw an Ithaca Model 37/87 in the mix too. :D

jhansman
December 25, 2007, 03:21 PM
I'm looking at th Rem 870 Express in 20ga. Price is right, reputation is solid, company should be around for a few more years. :D

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/jhansman/lgsil_870expsyn7.jpg

Can't choke it, but then, this ain't for birds. ;)

hogdogs
December 25, 2007, 03:41 PM
I am a die hard Mossberg man. it is low cost, has an exceptional safety position on top of reciever and the slide release is in the perfect spot at the left rear of the trigger guard. i can bring the gun up ready to fire than take it off safe mode if I choose. I can also dump rounds from the RTF position if I have a variety in the tube. As a hunting gun I think it is fully suited... for HD I don't think it can be beat. Not pretty and might have a bit more rattles than another but plenty reliable and durable.
Brent

Ranger Al
December 25, 2007, 04:39 PM
All are great guns...

Personally, I have the Moss 500 and the Win 1300 and have friends who own the 870 express. If I was to get another shotgun, I would complete my collection and get the 870 express cause they have all sort of after market stuffs for it and very nicely priced...

wakerider017
December 25, 2007, 07:09 PM
I think I will be going to Dick's tomorrow to see what they have.

Maybe I can catch a good after x-mas sale.

2afreedom
December 25, 2007, 07:43 PM
If you can find one used a Winchester 1300 is a good choice as well. They should be priced at about what the 870 Express is but they have a "smoother" and quicker shuck and a shorter shuck for all of us with short arms like me. Accessories are plentiful althought probably not as much as the 870. The only downside is of course they are not made anymore but for the price they are a smooth shooting pump.

wakerider017
December 25, 2007, 08:16 PM
I think I am going to go with the 870 Wingmaster. Looks like a pretty nice gun!

Ranger Al
December 26, 2007, 12:26 PM
Great choice, the Wingmaster is the Mercedes version of the 870. You will not go wrong. I too like my Win 1300 and will not let it go for any amount of money cause it is such a smooth shooting gun.

wakerider017
December 26, 2007, 02:42 PM
Got the 870 Wingmaster 12GA 28" at Dicks today.

Only paid 569! I am happy. They had to order so I will have to wait 4-6 weeks though.

kiwicrusaders
December 26, 2007, 06:56 PM
If I may make a suggestion, I was all set to get the Remington until I saw and handled the Browning BPS. I did a whole lot (months) of weighing up between the two.

What pushed it Browning's way was the smoothness of the action (muche better than Remington's), it was more than the express but less than the Wingmaster. It comes with more and better chokes ... I have been told by numerous peopel that the Browning patterns way better than anything else in a similar price and up to double the amount in $.

The finish on the shotty is outstanding, oh yes did I mention how smooth the action was, take a piece of silk and rub it along a piece of steel... very similar.

wakerider017
December 26, 2007, 08:48 PM
If I may make a suggestion, I was all set to get the Remington until I saw and handled the Browning BPS. I did a whole lot (months) of weighing up between the two.

What pushed it Browning's way was the smoothness of the action (muche better than Remington's), it was more than the express but less than the Wingmaster. It comes with more and better chokes ... I have been told by numerous peopel that the Browning patterns way better than anything else in a similar price and up to double the amount in $.

The finish on the shotty is outstanding, oh yes did I mention how smooth the action was, take a piece of silk and rub it along a piece of steel... very similar.

Browning BPS was a strong contender. Probably my next choice if 870 did not exist.

I would just rather have the 870. Tested and proven for over 50 years. Hundreds and hundreds of rave reviews on the internet. Lots of aftermarket parts. Half a pound lighter than the BPS. Wingmaster has the ivory front sight and steel middle bead. Also being the worlds most popular shotgun says something to me. Doesn't hurt that it is made in America over Japan either.

Didn't particularly like the bottom ejection on the BPS... Might be cool for a lefty though.
There also some reports of the BPS jamming. Don't have any first hand experience though...

The Wingmaster comes with 3 just as the BPS does.

Not sure about the difference in patterns, but I can tell you my dad's 870 shoots some pretty damn good patterns!

One thing I did like about the BPS better than the 870 is the safety.

BPS and 870 are both excellent shotguns. It really comes down to personal preference.

marks655
December 27, 2007, 11:44 PM
BPS or Benelli Super Nova

YukonKid
December 28, 2007, 01:00 AM
i think i have said this about 100 times :)...Remington 870. any model depending on use, unless your use is trap/skeet in which case go browning doubles.

wakerider017
December 28, 2007, 09:21 AM
i think i have said this about 100 times ...Remington 870. any model depending on use, unless your use is trap/skeet in which case go browning doubles.

Browning O/U's start at like 1700 haha.

This shotgun will double as my hunting/clay gun.

10-96
December 28, 2007, 02:35 PM
Since they quit making my beloved 1300's- the Browning BPS 16ga's are sure looking mighty spiffy.

Leif
December 28, 2007, 02:40 PM
Another vote for the BPS here. My 28" barrel BPS 12 gauge works well for my purposes. However, if you don't like the bottom eject, then it may not be the best choice.

kiwicrusaders
December 28, 2007, 02:44 PM
My Browning BPS was ordered on AbleAmmo a day or two ago. Just got the dreaded ... your item is on back order, with no ETA on how long I could wait.

Does anyone have any experince with this, and how long I could end up waiting ... my trigger finger is starting to itch, I really want to take the pump out for a shoot ! :mad: :mad:

dgludwig
December 28, 2007, 07:27 PM
It's hard to go really wrong with any of the pump guns available today. I prefer the BPS (mostly due to the smoothness of the action and the location of the safety) but it is a tad heavy and pricey. Nothing wrong with the 870 (or the 1300, Nova, Mossberg or Ithaca for that matter).

BigJimP
December 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
I think the BPS is smoother - and a better long term gun / better used value down the road than the others you mention.

rem870hunter
December 28, 2007, 08:31 PM
is the browning bps lefthanded and righthanded user friendly? my oldest boy is a lefty and i am a righty. so unless i buy a double barrel. he'll only have 1 shot.

dgludwig
December 29, 2007, 02:27 PM
The BPS is probably the best pump shotgun available for ambidextrous use due to the safety being located on the tang and the bottom ejection feature.

Stetson 33
December 29, 2007, 02:40 PM
I have remington 870,winchester and mossberg.

Tatsumi67
January 3, 2008, 03:07 PM
I am a Winchester man for life. I have a 120 (12 gauge, pump, mod choke) and a 1300 (20 guage, pump, full choke) and plan on expanding my collection. They have never failed me, ever, and both of them are are at least 10 years old.:p

sparkysteve
January 5, 2008, 09:27 PM
Ever since I bought my BPS, my 870 has collected dust. I love that gun.

SD_Chop
January 6, 2008, 03:15 PM
good choice. 870 imo is the best pump there is. Even voted 2nd best shotgun of all time. i own 2 of them-the marine mag and turkey express supermag with 3 chokes. Also our duty shotgun is a 870P. they are super simple to clean/disassemble and i never had an issue with them in anyway. Just the avaible parts/mods/upgrades are over top, anything you want its made practically. I have shot slugs, bucks, birdshot and always been accurate. My marine mag is my home defender/carry gun if im going camping/boating, anything for that purpose. I use the Express supermag for deer hunting, bird hunting, skeet shooing, turkey hunting. they have just been so reliable and down right get the job done

WacosSon
January 6, 2008, 03:24 PM
If you're like me, and never get rid of your guns, one thing to remember is quality and warranty. Mossbergs are sturdy as hell and the Remington is too, but Mossberg does all their repair in house, where Remington you have to send it to their "authorized repair center." May not be a big deal, but I'd rather have Mossberg guys working on my Mossberg, rather than a "gun tech."

Both shoot well (Mossberg vs. Remington). More options for Remington as it is clearly more geared for hunting where the Moss is more for HD. I like the safety on the Moss better - easy one handed release and for me more intuitive. Also, Moss has got scope drills already, your Remington will have to be taken to a smith. Both great guns, somewhat apples to apples - neither one is bad, just preference.

That's my $0.02.