PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Mags: Adventure Line MFG. ?

CrazyIvan007
December 22, 2007, 11:45 AM
Anyone know anything about this company? Good? Bad?

Adventure Line MFG.
Parsons, KS, USA

My local gun shop here has 30-round magazines from this company for $20 each. Most inexpensive non-internet buy I have found.

They are Aluminum with polycarbonate followers.

This is all the info I could find:

Adventure Line was one of the early magazine contractors, making both 20 and 30-round magazines. Adventure Line was aquired by Parsons, and eventually by Center. Adventure Line mags had gold-colored anodizing, black followers, and have especially long-lasting moly finish. Made from late 1960s-early 1970s. Floorplates stamped:
ADVENTURE LINE MFG. CO.
PARSONS, KS. U.S.A.

The magazines don't look 30 years old though, they appear to be brand new...

Thanks.

Denny Hansen
December 22, 2007, 12:12 PM
They made good mags. Barring dents or damaged feed lips they should be good to go. If they still have black followers, replace them with the green followers, or better yet the Magpul anti-tilt followers.

Denny

HappyGunner
December 22, 2007, 12:18 PM
http://midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=108

I have a bunch of the C-Products Mags I bought from Midwest Ind. and they all have worked great.:)

boltgun71
December 22, 2007, 01:16 PM
USGI Adventure Line magazines are my persoanl favorite for my AR's. They are known for having one of the longest lasting finishes of the USGI manufacturers as your research pointed out. I use mainly the 20rd mags but have had no issue with the 30rd mags either. I would say that they are good to go as is, but Denny's advice of changing the black follower out on the 30rd mags is good also if you wanted to maximize the reliability out of them.

RockyMtnTactical
December 22, 2007, 01:33 PM
I've had about a dozen Adventure Line mags. They are very good magazines, on par with any other USGI mags.

USMCGrunt
December 22, 2007, 04:37 PM
When it came to the older 30 rounders, Adventrure Line as well as quite a few others were considered good-to-go. What wasn't a good magazine brand to have (if you had a malfunction on the range and were caught with one of these, you didn't get an alabi) were either Sanchez or Cooper brand magazines. Everybody knew they were unreliable magazines and were avoided like the plauge.

Samuel_Hoggson
December 22, 2007, 05:37 PM
"The magazines don't look 30 years old though, they appear to be brand new..." - CrazyIvan007

Sometimes folks will take baseplates from old mags and use them with new mag bodies. Just a thought.

Sam

Wildalaska
December 22, 2007, 05:44 PM
Adventure Lines always worked for me.

Cant remember if the crap ones were Coopers or OKs

WildbraindeadAlaska ™

HappyGunner
December 22, 2007, 05:47 PM
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21225

Not the cheapest but they are quality. Brownell's is Mfg. their own Mags.:)

chuckles
December 22, 2007, 08:52 PM
www.44mag.com

Everything in mags! Fast service too.

USMCGrunt
December 23, 2007, 12:19 AM
Nope, Okay was well, OK. :D It was the Sanchez and Coopers that sucked. If you ever have problems remembering which ones were the ones to avoid, just think of the "dirty Sanchez" and the "Poopers" both of which are best to avoid.:barf:

Mach II Sailor
December 23, 2007, 09:41 AM
The magazines don't look 30 years old though, they appear to be brand new...

i have an original mil-spec 20 rnd. box full (7) of them AND they are brand new but still 40 years old :D

bennnn
December 24, 2007, 12:40 PM
Damn, you need to sell that to me.

Dfariswheel
December 24, 2007, 07:18 PM
SOME of the Copper's were bad.
The bad one's had too few welds on the seams.
The rest were good to go.

Okay Industries were top of the line, and they made Colt's factory-marked magazines.

triman95
August 10, 2011, 01:10 PM
Adventure Line Manufacturing Company was founded and operated by my Grandfather, Chester Charles "C.C." John. He moved it to Parsons KS from Olathe KS in the early 60's. Though he originally made camping equipment, from stoves to slide in camper shells for pickups, he soon realized the money to be made from Government Contracts and began manufacturing cast Bomb Casings. From there he soon began making the Magazines of which you are speaking. I have several of them myself, along with a few of the bomb casings. We used them as ash trays.. lol
He sold the company in the mid 70's and retired. He passed away just a few years ago, its nice to read that his products are still appreciated.

chack
August 10, 2011, 02:11 PM
they are M16 mags, not AR 15 mags. The difference is sall, but magazines made on government contracts that are made to military specifications are made for M16s. They will of course wprk great in an AR 15.

A civilian magazine made for a civilian rifle doesn't have to be made to military specification, so they may or may not be fully reliable. The rare occasions when a lot of GI mags are unreliable NIW results in that lot being destroyed and the contract not being renewed.

I now it's just semantics, but I think it's a more significant differentiation than 5.56x45 and .223 rem.

Ridge_Runner_5
August 11, 2011, 08:59 PM
$20 is too expensive for an aluminum AR mag unless you are in a ban state.

Hell, you can get a mil-spec Pmag for $14.

blacksky
August 13, 2011, 12:11 AM
There is nothing else IMO but Pmags, they rule! :eek:

Fishbed77
August 13, 2011, 10:37 PM
Hell, you can get a mil-spec Pmag for $14.
There is nothing else IMO but Pmags, they rule!

Yep - what he said.
After using Pmags, nothing else really makes much sense to to me.