PDA

View Full Version : 10 gauge

max12
December 21, 2007, 02:53 PM
hi, new member here. Im looking in to a singal shot 10 gauge. Anny one own one? Is it a good gun?

Zombie Steve
December 21, 2007, 06:45 PM
Hi and welcome.

I think the usual question you'll encounter here is... what are you going to use it for? The single shot has me wondering. Nothing wrong with it, but I'm trying to give it a practical application. Almost exclusively a waterfoul gauge. Maybe you want one because you just want one - that's cool.

My humble opinion - if I wanted something that stout, I'd look at a 3-1/2" chambered 12 gauge. I don't think many manufacturers do the 10 gauge anymore. Ammo will be tougher to find, more expensive, et cetera.

Rem makes an auto: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_SP-10.asp

Here's a break action for you:
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerTurkey.aspx

I don't have personal experience, but they seem to have a good reputation.

I hope this helps.

WeedWacker
December 21, 2007, 11:41 PM
Hope there are elephants where you live...

Yeah a 10 ga...ouch, that's all I gotta say. A 12 ga w/extra full choke or one of those 4'barrel extensions will get the same perfoemance as a 10 ga for high geese/ducks or for the occasional tiger escaped from the zoo. IMHO the 12 ga will be perfect for whatever you need.

banditt007
December 22, 2007, 05:34 PM
h&r makes a single shot 10 gauge. cheap too! i bought my 12 gauge for $125 out the door brand new. very plain jane but built like a tank. no problems except depending on how you open it sometimes the ejector will spit the spent shell 80% of the way out and it will kind of 'ring around' in the chamber and not fully come out. remember a 10 gauge does not give you any longer RANGE. thats what different shot sizes do (energy on target to do the job) its that the 10 gauge has a higher PAYLOAD.

hogdogs
December 22, 2007, 06:32 PM
Also remember that a 10 gauge in "magnum" will hurt the bejeezis outta you and not be much more game dropper than a 12ga magnum. I would suggest a 12 or even 20ga gun capable of 3 1/2 shells since you can tone it down to field loads that are quite shootable all day long...
I personally would pass on shooting even one round of 10 gauge from an NEF/H&R single! Juniors single 20 kicks worse than his 12ga pump! Too light weight for my taste!
Brent

Sgt.Fathead
December 23, 2007, 02:31 AM
I just got the H&R Pardner in 12 (Turkey) and 10 (Turkey) because, you know, former Marine and the big boom and WOW! Yeah, that sucker kicks good. I added a Limbsaver to it and like it just fine. I'm probably young enough that I'm still stupid enough to actually enjoy the recoil a bit, ya know?

What did I get it for? I got it because I wanted it and I guess maybe I'll use it for turkey but right now I'm mainly using it to wallop things down the range.

max12
December 23, 2007, 09:53 PM
would this 10 be capable of shooting a 3 1/2 in 12 gauge round too
I think it says you can..Just want to make sure.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerTurkey.aspx

banditt007
December 24, 2007, 08:42 AM
no its availbe in two models... 3.5" 12 OR 3.5" 10 gauge.

know this... for shotguns... you can use any ammo that is the 'rated' length or SHORTER, NOT longer, and you MUST stick w/ the exact same gauge.

here is something to know too.

if you buy an h&r shotgun all you have to do is send the reciever back to the factory and they will mate up ANY shotgun barrel to it. if you buy their single shot rifle, you can send it back and get any rifle OR shotgun barrel fitted to it. the rifle is about 100 bucks more. the difference is the reciever on the rifle can take the much higher pressures, whereas shotguns work at much lower pressures.

o yes thats another thing. my (relatively light for what it is) synthetic winchester 1300 with x-coil recoil pad, kicks like a BABY, compared to the single shot w/ the same loads. just for sh!its and giggles i want to fire some 3" something out of it. it def kicks pretty good w/ even milder range ammo, but not bad at all. but no way would i shoot 200+ rounds out of it like my pump gun. more like 50 max.

PT111
December 24, 2007, 08:54 AM
What did I get it for? I got it because I wanted it

Sometimes that is the only reason and is good enough. Never try to justify something like a 10 ga because the cons outweigh the pros by a long ways but if you want the dang thing get it.

Sgt.Fathead
December 24, 2007, 01:22 PM
I don't buy many things 'just because' and when I do, well, I just do. For someone who researched each and every major purchase to the nth degree, it's nice to just buy a gun for the gun. That said, I don't buy anything super expensive 'just because'! The 10 gauge was all of $250.00 with the shipping and paperwork.

max12
December 24, 2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I would like to have a 10 gauge to hunt duck and to blow holes in things too. I think I will just settel for the 3 1/2 in 12 because of the price of ammo, but I have a pawn shop around the corner that sells 10 rounds if I do decide to get one when I can afford the ammo.

banditt007
December 25, 2007, 10:11 AM
also if i recall correctly, the 10 gauge currently only has one slug available from federal. not like you would want to shoot one of those out of a single shot, that would have to be nothing short of brutal.

max12
December 25, 2007, 11:38 AM
damn right, like shootin a cannon from the sholder

JWT
December 25, 2007, 07:41 PM
Great gun for chipmonks...