PDA

View Full Version : sabot slugs

moss-695
December 21, 2007, 12:45 AM
anyone shot the new winchester xp3 sabot slugs i wonder how they shoot i have always shot the winchester super x bri sabot or the supreme just like it i have tried a lot of other sabots none fly like those that i have shot i have always went back to the winchester super x bri or the supreme just like it. one thing that i have noticed is that the sabot on them are in two pieces other sabots are one solid piece . what do yall think

okiewita40
December 21, 2007, 11:47 AM
I just read an article on them yesterday. They are saying they are good out to 200 yards. IIRC they had about a 6.4" drop at 200 from a 140 yrd zero.

kayakersteve
December 21, 2007, 11:59 AM
They are supposed to be very good, however, I tried them with my Ithaca Deerslayer 20 guage and found them to tumble and key hole at targets ranging form 40-70 yards. As a result, the effectiveness and accuracy was not good. I thought it was me at first, then I heard on other discussion threads, that other people had also experienced that with the deerslayer (Yes, the barrel is rifled!). I find the Old BRI's work great and this year I also tried and liked the new Hornady version of sabots. they not only work great, but looks super cool with the red tip.

BigV
December 22, 2007, 07:01 PM
Speaking of Sabots, what’s the deal with the price?? Last year I paid $9.99 for a box of 5, 2 ¾ “ 1oz Federal sabots. This year they are $19.99 a box. That’s a huge increase in just a year!!!

kayakersteve
December 23, 2007, 08:20 AM
Sportsman Guide and Midway were both around 10.00-11.00 per box. As I'm sure you've noticed, all ammo prices have increased

kgpcr
December 23, 2007, 11:16 PM
Big V ammo is sky high right now and its not pretty at all! Lead shot is up to 50.00 a bag up from 17.00 or so. Its getting insane!

soonershooter
January 3, 2008, 05:06 PM
Seeing the high prices for the factory sabot shotgun loads, seems reloading would be a good idea. Reloading with component bullets would be a cheaper alternative and would allow development of alternative loads. Anyway, does anybody know if anyone is offering the sabot compatible wads for sale? Thanks