PDA

View Full Version : patterned buckshot.did better than last time.

rem870hunter
December 20, 2007, 11:22 PM
i went to the range yesterday to get an idea what buckshot will do at 25 yards. remington express magnum 12 gauge using a 20" rifle sighted slug barrel . sighted in with slugs to 50 yards.

shooting at a 9" paper plate at 25 yards. sights on the center of the plate.
it had the following results: all shells are 2 and 3/4" except the last one.

2 out of 20 pellets. #1 federal classic "short" magnum.
3 out of 16 pellets #1 remington.
1 out of 16 pellets #1 winchester super x.

4 out of 27 pellets #4 remington.
2 out of 27 pellets #4 winchester super x.
2 out of 27 pellets #4 federal power shok.

1 out of 12 pellets 0 buck federal classic.
2 out of 12 pellets 0 buck remington.

2 out of 9 pellets 00 buck winchester super x.

2 out of 24 pellets 3" mag. shell. #1 winchester super x.

went to the range today to test using the same shotgun. but with the 28" vent rib rem. choked barrel. shooting at a 9" paper plate poa is center of plate.

following results were with using the mod. tube at 30 yards and with 2 and 3/4" shells unless otherwise noted:

0 out of 20 pellets #1 federal classic "short" magnum.
4 out of 16 pellets #1 remington.
2 out of 16 pellets #1 winchester super x.

4 out of 27 pellets #4 federal power shok.
1 out of 27 pellets #4 remington.
4 out of 27 pellets #4 winchester super x.

0 out of 12 pellets 0 buck federal classic.
2 of out 12 pellets 0 buck remington.

1 out of 9 pellets 00 buck winchester super x.

8 out of 24 pellets #1 3" shell winchester super x.
5 out of 15 pellets 00 3" shell remington.

then 30 yards with the 28" vent rib with full choke tube. 2 and 3/4" shells unless otherwise noted.

5 out of 27 pellets #4 federal power shok.

1 out of 16 pellets #1 remington.
3 out of 16 pellets #1 winchester super x.
6 out of 20 pellets #1 federal classic "short" magnum.

7 out of 24 pellets #1 3" shell winchester super x.
3 out of 15 pellets 00 3" shell remington.

40 yards with full choke tube 2 and 3/4" shells only :

3 out of 27 pellets #4 federal power shok.
1 out of 34 pellets #4 federal classic "short" magnum.

did not continue 40 yards full choke test with larger buckshot sizes. last test with #1, 0 and 00 did not satisfy. tried 40 yards with the mod tube. did too poor to report test results. maybe i will try another test at 35 yards with the larger sizes using mod. and or full tubes.

Hawg
December 21, 2007, 04:24 AM
Get some poster board and find out where the rest of your shot is going.

FL-Flinter
December 21, 2007, 05:26 AM
Go to a cylinder or improved cylinder, buckshot doesn't like chokes. If you want to use some serious buckshot, try the Dixie Tri-ball.

hogdogs
December 21, 2007, 09:13 AM
I am with HH on this one for sure! I ain't about to knock anything but I sure would want to know where all that shot went! I expect and get better results out of my smooth cyl. 18.5 inch mossberg. I only have a barrel bead and put slugs within 4-6 inches of POA at 50 yards consistently. I use those corrugated plastic yard signs and at 50-60 yards I devastate them in just a few shots with any size shot.
Let us know what you find...
Brent

rem870hunter
December 21, 2007, 10:45 AM
the rest of the shot is going high,low,left,and right of the plate. the plate was on a piece of cardboard. like a 24 beverage can pack. i think it was corona taped sideways to a yard sign.

should i maybe use a 12"x12" piece of cardboard? or something like the beverage can package. i think that measures like 12"x16". put that sideways and shoot that? or just use the 9" paper plate. obviously i would get more pellets into a 12"x12" or 12"x16" area than a 9" plate. but i would rather the area of target be smaller. because the vitals of most deer here that i've seen don't measure 12"x12" or 12"x16"
i know i am getting pellets to the left and right of my poa and the plate. i am not sure as to how many exactly.
should i want to know that? should i get a straight rifled choke? or maybe a looser or tighter type by another manufacturer?
like patternmaster or trulock?
i didn't try the imp. cyl. choke yet.
i don't think that will give me the best results at 30-40 yards
maybe 25 maximum. i will try it just for kicks. and get a box of federal "classic" 16 pellet #1 buck to try too . remington and winchester are the only ones making it new anymore that i can find.
should i maybe try a different poa? like level left,level right. high left, high
right. low left ,low right ? would that make a difference

when i was there patterning with the slug barrel there was a guy that shot a round of #1 buck through his extra full turkey choke. he put 8 out 16 pellets high into a 8"x8" area at 40 yards. the rest didn't hit anywhere visible.

i didn't think to ask what type of shotgun it was.

hogdogs
December 21, 2007, 10:53 AM
I think you should use a 48 inch square with the paper plate in center... this gives you knowledge of where to aim to place the most pellets on the plate. For MY gun I put the entire plate above the barrel out to 50 yards with big shot and slug. For clay birds I only have a hand thrower slinging them so range is less than a hotrod machine but I put the bead at the bottom of the clay for best result. I used to think I needed to raise the barrel at distance but found I was shooting over the target. Unless it is well past 60 yards I do not raise much at all. At 60-75 yards I put top 1/3rd of the barrel at POA for a slug.
Brent