PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg vs. FN semi auto shotguns

cold dead hands
December 19, 2007, 10:50 PM
I was hoping for some opinions about the Mossberg 930 with 18.5'' barrel 7+1 capacity and the FN SLP Mark 1 with a 22' barrel and 8+1 capacity.

The Mossy can be had for about 500 to 600 dollars and the FN seems to go around 750 to 800 dollars. This isn't enough of a price difference for me to automatically go with the Mossberg.

Which has the better quality?
Which has the most reliable action?
Which is likely to last the longest with regular use?
Which will have the best recoil control?
Anything you think I ought to know about either one?

Please help me make up my mind.

jaymce
December 19, 2007, 11:08 PM
I would guess the FN to be superior. I do not own either one but have seen both side by side and the FN offerings look to be quality.

I know that when I compared the Mossberg to the FP6 I bought (pump) it was like apples and oranges in quality.

I am not knocking Mossberg they meet a price point and are functionally reliable from every thing I have read, just depends on your needs I guess. After some bad experiences with cheaper firearms I now choose quality instead of quantity, or put off purchases until I can afford the higher end higher quality firearms.

cabbynate
December 26, 2007, 04:23 PM
You can get a Mossberg 930 SPX for $525.00-$550.00 and they are a hell of a shotgun. they run flawlessly. The 930 you are speaking of is just as good, it just has less capacity. I would save the money and get the Mossberg, heck I did.;)

Smitty in CT
December 26, 2007, 10:53 PM
When you ask about quality, what are you looking for??

The 930SPX is extremely reliable, do a search they are based on the Mossberg 930.

The FN SLP is based on the Winchester SX-2 which is a very good shotgun, but, I believe that Winchester has "moved on" and isn't making that model any more, they are making the SX-3.

The question comes down to are you getting $300 more value in the FN, for me the choice was easy, I had over 7,000 rounds through my field 930 and now I am over 14,000 between the two. Both the field gun and the SPX have performed flawlessly.

There are a few reports on the 930SPX here on TFL and over at ShotgunWorld:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=124758

Desert01
December 27, 2007, 10:26 AM
CT,

There is the Farnum report that I had heard about. I realy don't understand the crusier ready part. Based on what I think he said then the 11-87 is also unsuited for "social" use. At least for me I get both guns into cruiser ready the same way.

Altough, I would say that I seldom go to cruiser ready from a round in the chamber. If I have around in the chamber in other then a training enviroment, a whole lot of things are going to happen before I put it into cruiser ready.

Smitty in CT
December 27, 2007, 11:29 AM
There is the Farnum report that I had heard about. I realy don't understand the crusier ready part. Based on what I think he said then the 11-87 is also unsuited for "social" use. At least for me I get both guns into cruiser ready the same way.

Altough, I would say that I seldom go to cruiser ready from a round in the chamber. If I have around in the chamber in other then a training enviroment, a whole lot of things are going to happen before I put it into cruiser ready.

I tried not to get too much into the whole Farnham thing, the procedure to get a 930 into "cruiser ready" is identical to the Remington 870 that they supposedly used to finish the class...the article was a very anti-Mossberg article, I don't know, but I believe the writer had some preconceived notions from the start...

BTW, my "go to" condition isn't "cruiser ready" it is:
Empty (open) chamber (it hangs on the wall in a "Loc-Box" behind a curtain)
Magazine loaded with 7-shells (2-3/4" Federal Power-Shok #4 Buckshot)
I try to make sure I always keep room in the mag for one round in case I have to load a slug, I just pop it in and go.

johnbt
December 27, 2007, 10:14 PM
Winchester still sells some SX-2 models. The SX-3 only has only had a few changes made to make it lighter.

John