PDA

View Full Version : Someone at the door

cold dead hands
November 29, 2007, 01:31 AM
There is someone at the door and you aren't expecting company. Do you answer while holding a firearm (out of view) or just open up because you feel safe? Does daylight affect your decision?

I answer with a pistol out of view, day or night, if I am not expecting anyone, and sometimes with one at night even if I am expecting company.

Am I paranoid? How about you?

TexasSeaRay
November 29, 2007, 01:33 AM
You're definitely paranoid.

We just let one of our dogs answer the door (a German Shepherd and a Doberman).

Jeff

cold dead hands
November 29, 2007, 01:53 AM
Got no dog. Don't want a dog.

It is just me except for when my kids are here for the weekend.

Being single for 6 years has made me this way. Not having someone to call 911 for you while you are dealing with bad guys will adjust your tatics. People have been attacked at their doors. If I am paranoid, then so be it.

animal
November 29, 2007, 02:01 AM
Call me paranoid I guess ...
Open the door with pistol in right hand ... out of view(behind door) with foot as a stop for door in case they try to force their way in. I weigh 240 so I doubt they'll move my foot.

MTMilitiaman
November 29, 2007, 02:02 AM
I might not have a gun in hand, but there is one within one or two steps of the door.

At night, I would definitely have my Glock.

fivepaknh
November 29, 2007, 02:08 AM
I believe in profiling. Seldom do home invaders dress like Girl Scouts selling cookies. If the person at the door looks like a thug I’ll answer with a gun on me but not in view.

The two punks that killed those 2 Dartmouth professors several years back went to another house first. At the first house the guy answered with a .45 in hand and in plain view. The punks decided to move on. It’s good the guy with the .45 was “paranoid” or he would have been the victim that night.

Edward Nigma
November 29, 2007, 02:11 AM
It's just me and my fiance at my place. Only one good friend who would come around, and he'd call, I'd recognize him if he showed up unannounced. Other than that, just the parents and my fiance's family.

Bottom Line: We don't answer the door if someone knocks unless it's UPS or the post man. And then, yes, I have a pistol concealed on me just in case.

Wildalaska
November 29, 2007, 02:36 AM
I just yank the door open and stand there in the nude.

WildswmbohatesthatAlaska TM

oldbillthundercheif
November 29, 2007, 04:16 AM
If I'm not expecting company, I don't answer the door. If it's a friend in need of help or the cops they will just knock louder and identify themselves. That happened the other night. The cops were looking for my landlord (some kind of incident at one of his other properties or something).

I went to the door without a shotgun or rifle even though it could have been ninja zombies pretending they were cops. You roll the dice, I guess.

steveno
November 29, 2007, 04:58 AM
thanks for the warning Wildalaska

grey sky
November 29, 2007, 05:47 AM
No soliciting signs are quite effective. I put some up a few months ago I don't realy fear a home invasion just don't like being interupted. But I know a knock is not a salesman. And yes always have a plan.

Bud Helms
November 29, 2007, 06:10 AM
We have a "tactics" forum for these "what-if, self defense" threads.

Moving to T&T.

Billy Sparks
November 29, 2007, 07:33 AM

That is a image I did not need at 7:33am.

Spade Cooley
November 29, 2007, 09:56 AM
If you look outside and do not recognize the person at the door, why answer it? Ask them what they want and call help for them if they need it. I don't like drawing down on the Jehova's Wittnesses but they can leave the Watchtower on the porch.

During the daylight with people around, I am not this careful. I do have a gun at the ready.

markj
November 29, 2007, 10:39 AM
There is someone at the door and you aren't expecting company. Do you answer while holding a firearm

If this is your way of life, moving to a better location is my advise.

The outside light shows me who is there, the dogs let me know if they are friends or unknowns. Where I live we dont worry much about that kinda stuff. Paranoia is a disease, it can be cured. First off, quit watching violent shows...... TV will brainwash ya.

Dirty_Harry
November 29, 2007, 10:56 AM
Depends on the time of day, I never get people at my door unless I have invited friends over. When it is unexpected I answer the door with a concealed Glock 23.

Fremmer
November 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
You guys and your little handguns. :rolleyes:

I've upgraded to a flame-thrower. That way, I can instantly char the bg and any of his friends. I like 'em well-done. And it'll look pretty, too; kind of like the 4th of July!

Plus, it's too cold to stand in the doorway naked. Shrinkage, ya know....:eek:

Night Watch
November 29, 2007, 12:00 PM
:rolleyes: What's wrong with some of you people?

I never answer the door. I answer the window, instead! ;)

rampage841512
November 29, 2007, 12:03 PM
I usually have gun in holster, hand on gun, when I answer the door in such situations.

ragwd
November 29, 2007, 12:09 PM
Just because your paranoid, doen't mean they aren' out to get you:D

SundownRider
November 29, 2007, 12:12 PM
My problem right now is training my two little boys not to run to the door and stick their faces in the side window to see who is ringing the doorbell. More than once a little rear has been popped for not listening to daddy. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I argued that if a perp wants to start something, does she want her children in the immediate vicinity?
Hard to train 3 and 5 year-olds when they are as stubborn as their daddy, but they'll eventually get it, like I did with my dad.

I answer the door with my out of sight right arm ready to jack the door closed at the first sign of difficulty, like someone stepping on my porch. Stay on the walk, and we'll talk. Firearm within reach after that.

buzz_knox
November 29, 2007, 12:21 PM
Paranoia is a disease, it can be cured. First off, quit watching violent shows...... TV will brainwash ya.

I wonder if the doctor I know who ended up with a bullet in his brain when he answered the door (disgruntled employee the doc had held off duty) watched too much TV. I doubt it, since he wasn't paranoid enough to figure out who was at the door before openining.

I wonder if the family of my aunt's neighbors watched TV. Again, I doubt it, since if they had, the husband would have been too paranoid to open the door and end up being murdered by the thief who had knocked.

There are many such "knock and robs" and similar home invasions in this country every year. It's not paranoia to prepare for something that has real chance of occurring.

fivepaknh
November 29, 2007, 12:46 PM
If this is your way of life, moving to a better location is my advise.

The outside light shows me who is there, the dogs let me know if they are friends or unknowns. Where I live we dont worry much about that kinda stuff. Paranoia is a disease, it can be cured. First off, quit watching violent shows...... TV will brainwash ya.

The Dartmouth professors lived in a very nice neighborhood. Nice and "safe".
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/young/dartmouth_murders/1.html

This is from page 15 of that story. It's the guy they had first intended as their victim. It's a good thing he was paranoid.
The suspicious homeowner told Rob he could not use the phone and Rob saw the man through a window standing in the doorway and holding a gun.

No one is saying you have to stand in the doorway and be confrontational with all visitors. If you think something is odd then answer the door in a friendly manner, but be comforted that you have a tool on you to defend yourself should things go bad.

spacemanspiff
November 29, 2007, 01:14 PM
That is a image I did not need at 7:33am
That implicityly implies that there is a time of day when you need that image. :eek:

Wildalaska
November 29, 2007, 01:51 PM
That implicityly implies that there is a time of day when you need that image.

Yikes :)

WildbillystopwearebothmarriedAlaska ™

Billy Sparks
November 29, 2007, 02:12 PM
Stopping.....

jabotinsky
November 29, 2007, 02:16 PM
We answer our door by opening it and delivering a hailstorm of lead, just in case. We've also trained our kids to run and hide under their steel-reinforced beds whenever the front door bell rings, to heck with childlike curiosity and friendliness, best they learn early, we pop 'em in the buttcheeks with a .22 as a reminder, that's how it's done in Eastern, PA.

revance
November 29, 2007, 02:51 PM
My wife made fun of me for installing a peep-hole in our front door. She gives me a hard time for being "paranoid" (aka: I lock the doors and turn on the alarm at night). Compared to most people on this forum, I am living dangerously... to her I'm a paranoid freak.

At the time, either her or her mother was home alone with the baby during the day (yup, thats right... the mother-in-law comes to OUR house and babysits! It rocks). I don't understand how taking easy precautions is paranoid. I don't lose sleep over worrying. I don't see why they should answer the door for someone they don't know while they are home alone with the baby. Best case scenario is its a door-to-door solicitor and I try avoiding them anyway.

So to answer the question... I don't answer the door for people I don't know unless its UPS and I am expecting a package.

Kruniac
November 29, 2007, 02:53 PM
I believe I've mentioned my paranoia on another thread, but whenever I answer the door, I have my Mossy leaning behind a door frame which is within 9 feet or so of my door.

Once I get a stub-nosed, ill start opening the door all the way for people I dont know.

You know, mostly its about awareness. If I look out my window and see three unmarked black sedans, im probably going to have to shoot it out with someone. Likewise, if I see the telephone van, I get less paranoid.

grymster2007
November 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
Some of you ought to be arrested! I think my psyche has been permanently scarred through viewing this thread.:eek:

From my current house, I can see anyone at the front door without them seeing me and if I don’t know them, I just don’t answer the door. They usually just go away.

In the old days, in some of the old neighborhoods, it got a little more exciting.

Wildalaska
November 29, 2007, 03:21 PM
My wife made fun of me for installing a peep-hole in our front door.

using the peep hole is dangerous, bad guys have been known to shoot through them.

OK seriously, why worry...if your infrared surveillance system is working properly, you will know who is approaching before the bell is even rung...if it is a BG (who are usually disguised in Girls Scout uniforms), just blow the claymores before she (he) even gets to the porch...then just relax, crack a cold one, and post here about your experience

WildhoneywhyistheirhamburgerwrappedinauniformonthewalkAlaska ™

BillCA
November 29, 2007, 05:39 PM
Wild,

You're correct in that BG's have been known to watch the peep hole and fire thru the door when the "light goes out".

So the trick is to put a 3M Post-it Note sheet over the inside of the peephole to keep it dark. Or even tape a 3x5 card there. Once your shadow covers the hole, lift & look. From outside they can't tell.

I'm in a townhome complex and around me, all but one family are off at work during the day. So I always answer the door with some kind of defensive tool (day or night) out of sight.

Like someone else said, open the door partially and keep a foot behind it to delay any forced entry. If the person at the door appears to be a potential threat (like those magazine salesmen who look like ex-cons) the weapon is in my hand behind my thigh.

lockedcj7
November 29, 2007, 05:45 PM
My house is 600 feet from the road and there are houses closer in all directions. If they come up my driveway, there's a reason. I have a driveway bell and a loud dog that alert us that someone is coming. If it's the UPS or FedEx truck, I usually go outside unarmed :eek: If it's a car I don't recognize, I'll be packing under an un-tucked shirt or light jacket and I'll meet them outside. This is partly so they won't go to the wrong door. Our house looks like it's been added onto several times and nobody seems to ever go the the front door. It's also to put more distance between them and my family.

If someone comes looking sketchy, I usually exit a back door and approach them from an unexpected angle. That way, I see them before they see me. I can usually figure out how many people there are and what they want before I give away who I am. I could always tell them that I'm just the guy who cuts the hay and that I don't have access to the house if my spidey-sense is going crazy. This also allows my family to keep the house locked up and observe what happens from relative safety. If everything goes south, they would be able to get into a better defensive position, arm themselves and call 911. I might also be able to retreat to one of several outbuildings and hide (if the family wasn't home). There are also some heavier weapons in some of the outbuildings should the need arise.

Call me paranoid if you wish but I have friends who have been victimized because they lived life in condition white. I live in condition yellow. Pilots call it "situational awareness" and it's a good habit to get into.

OJ
November 29, 2007, 06:04 PM
We installed a bay window just to the right and 1/2 level up from the front door and always answer the door through the side window by the bay window. The outside is brick so cover is automatic - don't have to show much of ourselves and it would be an awkward angle to shoot upwards to the left from the front door.

If it's someone we know, we let them in. All others are spoken to only through the window - lots of advantages especially with sales persons or those who would "save our souls" because I frequently have to tell them to speak up to be heard over the barking dogs. They usually just throw up their hands and leave.

Here's wife Bonnie and the welcoming committee answering the door -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/P1100001_edited-2.jpg

It also gives an answer if any one is "casing" the house for a later visit and I don't worry over the "Castle Doctrine" - well, I don't worry about that anyway.;)

:D

1911 fan
November 29, 2007, 06:25 PM
I generally answer the door with my RIA 1911 conceiled. Alot easier than trying to open the door with my AR15 in my hands.:D

Jay1958
November 29, 2007, 06:30 PM
I almost always carry at home, so chances are my carry weapon du jour will be on my hip anytime I answer the door.

If I'm sitting on the couch and the 'home invastion crew' kicks my front door or my back door in, I want to know -exactly- where my pistol is and approximately how long (+/- 2 sec) it will take me to draw it and put a round on target.

alizeefan
November 29, 2007, 06:37 PM
In my opinion the BG's can and do count on human nature to aid them in their crimes. Just because someone at your door is in decent clothes means nothing. A gun kept for defense has to be with you to be of any use.

revance
November 29, 2007, 07:09 PM
I think he was kidding about the peephole, but I do have that covered...

The porch light is on a timer so its always on when its dark out. The inside light is never turned on by the door, so it is always light outside and dark inside. This is purposefully so they don't know someone is checking on the door.

cold dead hands
November 29, 2007, 07:32 PM
Don't watch t.v. says he.

I haven't watched broadcast t.v. since March '01. That's right, no antenna, no cable and no satelite. I don't miss t.v. in the least...well...maybe the educational stuff.

I am guilty of watching movies from time to time. I prefer crime and professional killer movies. :D

However, I started this thread because I was burning time at TFL and I get a knock at the door. I am not expecting anybody and all it takes is to screw up once to die before you plan on it. So I answer with a pistol hidden behind my back and my body against the door in case I have to slam it shut.

I am not a social, people person and I don't want uninvited persons at my door to start with.

Perldog007
November 29, 2007, 08:01 PM
My apologies to the OP but I think you are too trusting. Suspicious knocks 'round here are answered with a revolver.

Pistols can be pushed out of battery at across the doorjam range. A revolver becomes more effective when fired at contact range.

Given the rise of home invasions I don't think it is paranoid in the least. On one occasion a process server at the wrong address ( I live on North she was looking for South..) almost went bad.

She must have been an ex-cop or something because she "read" my hand behind the back and started to reach under her coat as if going for a strongside rig. Apparently she thought better of it and told me what she was doing.

As she was dressed rather rough, it could have gone bad. I have learned from that encounter to take pains to expose as little as possible when asnwering unscheduled callers at the door.

walter in florida
November 29, 2007, 08:30 PM
About 2 weeks ago my dog went wild and I said good job, he keep it up, so I got my revolver and answered the door, checked my car a Neon and my wife's brother's car a MG. Every thing seemed OK. The next day a Sheriff dep. from down the street asked me if I seen anything because some one stold her son's pick-up truck. I told her what my dog did and went out looking with my revolver. I will answer the door in the same way in the future.

Walter
November 29, 2007, 10:36 PM
I turn on my TV. Flip it to "Video 2" channel, and lo and behold,
there is a video feed of whoever may be standing outside my front
door.
It really is cheap security, but it works. A motion-activated porch
light, 29 bucks at Home Depot, and a "wired" B/W camera (w/mike)
from Fry's Electronics, 39 bucks. I can see who's at my front door
from the kitchen, day or night.

Walter

Benzene
November 30, 2007, 12:20 AM
Almost everytime I hear the post-attack statement, "This NEVER happened in this area/subdivision," I feel compelled to respond, "Hey, idiot, it is not yet on earth as it is in heaven!" And even "heaven" is not quite perfect for once uponn a time the devil dwelt there.

Then there is this what I consider "nonsense" about "Would you shoot a person just for theft of property?" HOw many times did the burglar/invader sign a contract that s/he will ONLY take such and such of THE HOME OWNER'S property and NOT violate the sanctity of the home?

Perhaps this story shoud illustrate the point:
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou071129_jj_intrudershotmontgomerycounty.4f7f3fd3.html

rantingredneck
November 30, 2007, 12:20 AM
I wake up in the morning, shower, dress, put on my carry weapon. I go to bed at night I take off my carry weapon. I'm always armed even at home, therefore when I answer my door I'm always armed. If I have to get up in the middle of the night to answer the door it will probably be with shotgun in hand.

Since it's 12:15 am and I can't sleep and I'm sitting in the living room in my boxers (hows that for a visual nobody needed?) I have one of my 870's sitting beside the couch, or is it my one of my Mossbergs, hell I don't know it was dark when I picked it up and headed in here. They all go bang and throw lots of lead when needed.

Sigma 40 Blaster
November 30, 2007, 01:22 AM
I might be paranoid...I don't get many unannounced visitors so usually the PX4 or P95 is in my back pocket. I look through the window, it comes out if I don't know who is at my door...we actually had a few guys come by our house thinking the former residents were still here. Apparently they didn't like each other very much, nothing happened it was just a little weird.

bosshog
November 30, 2007, 07:30 AM
The "no soliciting" sign has worked wonders for us. If a stranger knocks then I know they're not "selling" something.

rb4browns
November 30, 2007, 07:34 AM
At night I always have a pistol in hand when someone knocks, which is rare. Daytime if I am expecting company no, but I'll have my 642 in my pocket.

Tanzer
November 30, 2007, 08:18 AM
I guess I have a rare advantage. I have a total of four doors, two of which are near each other. While my two rather large dogs are barking at the most common door, I can go to the other. I use this tactic when my sister-in-law comes over, too:D. I wear my sidearm right up 'til bedtime, so it's there, but unless the situation seemed "hinkey" (to quote Wild Alaska), I leave it holstered. Something about pulling out my .45 with my wife and two teenagers sitting in the den just because the doorbell rings seems a bit cheesy at 8:00. Now at 11:00, I might do things a bit differently.

grymster2007
November 30, 2007, 08:19 AM
The "no soliciting" sign has worked wonders for us. If a stranger knocks then I know they're not "selling" something.

That didn’t work so well for us in the past. Had a lot of idiots that either couldn’t read or somehow figured the sign didn’t apply to them. That’s when I developed my “you have exactly eight seconds to get off my porch… and you just burned three of them” routine. Generally worked well... but there were the occasional people that would call the bluff and had to be dealt with differently.

My current neighborhood seems to be too steep and far between doors for most solicitors. Surprisingly too much work for even the Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses. Or maybe they know I can't be saved now!:)

MaineColt
November 30, 2007, 09:08 AM
I have the greatest peep-hole ever. My cop buddy used to run a glass business.
He gave this peep-hole that is about 3" in diameter. Supposedly it was designed by the KGB. You can see out of it from across the kitchen, 16' away. Honest.
BUT, the BG can't see in, can't even see light. I doubted that so one dark night I stepped out on the porch and had my son shine a Streamlite into the Peep-hole. All other lights inside and out were off. NOthing could be seen through this thing. It's great.

I also have two dogs. One is a tiny Jack Russell Terrier. Believe it or not, the best "watch dog" I've ever had. NOTHING gets by this little dog. (I'm talking noises outside.) If anything or anybody needs to get bitten, the big dog will take over.:D

Also have 3 different motion detector lights with Spot llight bulbs in them that will come onn and blind you. They are pointed AWAY from the house like they're supposed to be. (Ever go by a house and see spot light lit up pointed AT the house?:rolleyes:) What a joke.

I live in the country and shoot often inn front yard. Anything I want, AR, AK, shotgun, handgun.........most of the neighbors think I'm crazy, but they still like me. They tell me that they like the idea of gun noise because it scares the BG's away.:cool:

Kev

markj
November 30, 2007, 04:09 PM
I've upgraded to a flame-thrower

:) I modified the door knob so it runs a million volts and 30 amps right thru em. Easy t osweep off the stoop after they have been converted to dust...

Wild Alaska, you get my vote for best answer. Used to answer the door that way when them well dressed up religious folk knocked on the door.

Sure am glad I live where we just dont have these kinds of problems. All of my neighbors and myself are well armed and all of us hunt. We are bikers too so that may havfe something to do with it. A 2 mile road full of bikers. House every 1/4 mile or so. We shoot a lot too so we keep in shape and on target. But then again I am not a spring chicken, seen a lot of crap that blew my mind a bit. Folks will do just about anything to each other it seems. Move to where "they" are not. Worked for me :)

Edward Nigma
November 30, 2007, 04:52 PM
That is a image I did not need at 7:33am.

That's an image I don't think I ever want to see!

NGIB
November 30, 2007, 07:12 PM
This thread reminds me of something that always made me a bit nervous. On Halloween (back when it was safe to take the kids trick or treating), there were a lot of unlocked doors on every street and it always seemed like the perfect day for bad folks to have their way. About 15 years ago on this day, I placed my .357 on a little table near the door within quick reach. My wife looked at me like I was crazy until I explained it to her. Never had a problem but I sure felt better and did the same thing every year...

Edward429451
November 30, 2007, 07:54 PM
Answer the door with a gun all the time? Sure why not. It's only paranoia if nothing ever happens, if it does then I guess you'd be a tactical expert for being prepared.

There is no de-militarized zone (aka good neighbrohood) so I'll go armed to the door, thanks.

Thunderhawk88
December 1, 2007, 01:14 AM

ADW? Assault with a Dangling Weapon? :eek:

C Carman
December 1, 2007, 04:34 PM
Maybe everyone already has one of these so no one mentioned it, every house i've lived in here in So Cal has had one. Maybe its just a Kali thing. These security doors are pretty nice. I always keep the deadbolt locked so i can open my door and see out but still have something between me and whoever's outside.

They are also really hard to seen in thru, another nice bonus.

jheitertusa
December 1, 2007, 07:16 PM
I look through the peephole to see who it is. Usually just the Mormons, Jehovahs Witnesses, or neighbors selling girlscout cookies.

my neighborhood is about as quiet as it gets. Still, if someone is knocking late at night, I'd be prepared.

oldbillthundercheif
December 1, 2007, 07:40 PM
It's not just a CA thing, carman. Just about everyone down here has one unless they have a wall and gate out front.

Those are popular in Chicago as well.

superfast61821
December 1, 2007, 07:44 PM
I have a sticker on my door that clearly warns... life, liberty and property will all be defended by an armmed homeowner.
Any one unexpected gets greeted with glock and if the hour is really awkward it's a holstered Glock and a mossberg 500. And I live in a "quiet" neighborhood.
However I have what I call Creepy Neighbor Guy. 4 years ago he assualted and stabbed his wife. He went to Jail she got a divorce and Order of protection. Now he's out OP has expired and guess who is back living next door to me. I called the cops the first time I saw him not knowing the op expired, turned out though he had a warrant for FTA so they picked him up on that. Needless to say he wasn't happy when he got back home and made several threats. I told the police but nothing was done.
Bottom line beter to have it and not need it than Vica-versa.

CZ for HD
December 2, 2007, 08:21 PM
Being single for 6 years has made me this way. Not having someone to call 911 for you while you are dealing with bad guys will adjust your tatics. People have been attacked at their doors. If I am paranoid, then so be it.Sheesh, you ask for our opinion, someone gives it to you and you take offense. Relax guy

cold dead hands
December 3, 2007, 12:23 AM
That's odd. I don't recall being offended.

markj
December 3, 2007, 02:00 PM
I have a sticker on my door that clearly warns

Mine says "Contents inside protected by Jesus" :) I dont fear. I dont answer the door armed. I dont think everyone is a bad guy out to get me. Been living that way since the late 50s and it has done me well. Now some of the younger crowd? Seem to fear everything and want to shoot anything scares em. I heartily recommend classes, lots of classes. A relative or two in LEO work to question is also a good idea.

AdamSean
December 7, 2007, 04:31 PM
I don't usually answer the door with it in hand, but it is within reach if I need it. The door makes for a good leverage point to break an intruders arm if they stick it in.

JBriggs
December 7, 2007, 04:35 PM
I always bring one to the door with me if I am not expecting someone, but I keep it out of view. Once, I freaked out my preacher by answering the door at nigth with a shotgun. I have learned that it is better to be low key but ready.

blueridge
December 7, 2007, 07:44 PM
I answered the door last night with a Glock 17 holstered on my side. It was the UPS guy, I don't think he even noticed.

Eghad
December 7, 2007, 07:50 PM

How many ordinances and federal regulations does that violate :confused:

grymster2007
December 7, 2007, 08:13 PM
“How many ordinances and federal regulations does that violate”?

Maybe AK is an open carry state, but there damn well ought to be some limits.:eek:

Regardless, it takes some serious stones to answer the door that way…. Ahhh hell, I give up!

dralarms
December 7, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'm always armed so that's the answer. Depends on how I'm "dressed" as to how I'm amred and that all I'm going to say about that.:rolleyes:

Thunderhawk88
December 7, 2007, 10:24 PM
I have 2 good size dogs that'll wake the dead when anyone, friend or foe, comes to the door. During the day I'm not all that concerned but at night, if I am not expecting someone, then I'll have a gun in my right hand as I open the door with my left.

T. O'Heir
December 8, 2007, 02:01 AM
"...and you aren't expecting company..." Who could be vacuum cleaner salesmen, Girl Guides selling cookies, assorted religious missionaries, etc, etc. Look out the friggin' window and assess the threat. If you can't assess a threat, you have no business having a firearm for defense.
'No Soliciting' stickers on doors mean absolutely nothing. Door to door sales types are trained to ignore them. So are missionaries.

TheNatureBoy
December 8, 2007, 03:05 AM
"Look out the friggin' window and assess the threat." Sounds like good advice to me. I'm surprised at the number of posts that recommend opening the door day or night without checking to see who is there.

Answering the door in the nude! Whats up with that?

Thunderhawk88
December 8, 2007, 09:19 AM
"Look out the friggin' window and assess the threat." Sounds like good advice to me. I'm surprised at the number of posts that recommend opening the door day or night without checking to see who is there.

Look out the window, what a concept. If there is a window to look out. And no, at night I doubt if a Girl Scout selling cookies (haven't had one come to the door in years), or a Vacuum Cleaner Salesman will be at my door.

If you can't assess a threat, you have no business having a firearm for defense.

That statement I think is just arrogant.

Capt Charlie
December 8, 2007, 12:55 PM
All right, folks; let's tone it down a bit, shall we?

Not everyone can look out a window to see who's there. I have a split entry home with a somewhat recessed front door, making that impossible.

I solved the problem in several ways.

Surveillance camera above and just to the side of the door. They're dirt cheap today and there are a host of wireless cameras so you don't have to drill, run wire, etc. I have a second one on the corner of my house that's mounted on a cheap Radio Shack antenna rotor so I can pan 270 degrees. It's also great when I'm watching TV & too engrossed in a good show to go to the door :D. Mine is set up with an infrared remote A-B switch so I can hit a button on my remote to switch to the camera, and back to my show.

Second. An iron barred security storm door. When I open my main door, I can converse through the bars with absolutely no chance of anyone forcing entry.

Third. On the off chance that I really do have a bad guy at my door, I have a holster velcroed to the inside of my main door, just above the doorknob. The gun is usually my Colt Det. Special. No one can see it from the outside, and while my hand's on the doorknob, it's only inches from the butt of the gun.

And finally, my 206 pound English Mastiff's bark is sufficient to make salesmen peddle their wares elsewhere ;).

BikerRN
December 9, 2007, 02:01 AM
I usually have gun in holster, hand on gun, when I answer the door in such situations.

I do the same thing. :)

Alex45ACP
December 9, 2007, 03:53 AM
If I'm not expecting anyone, I usually walk to the door (quietly) and look out the peephole. I decide what to do from there, if it's not someone I know I usually don't even bother answering the door. The only time I don't have a gun on me is when I'm asleep or in the shower, and in those cases it is nearby.

This is one reason I really hated my old house, the front door had windows, so the person on the porch could see you walking up to the door.

If you have to answer the door for some reason, one tip I heard that I thought was really clever is to shout "I'll get it" even (especially) if you're the only one home. If the person is a criminal, they will know/think there is more than one person in the house, and may be more inclined to leave you alone.

armoredman
December 9, 2007, 09:51 AM
Never could figure out what to do with this photo, fits well here.

rem870hunter
December 9, 2007, 12:47 PM
i sleep with the doors locked and the windows shut. if i am home alone day or night i keep within reach my 870 loaded mag. empty chamber. knock on the door . i don't answer unless i know who they are or i am expecting someone. when i am not home alone at night the 870 is loaded mag. empty chamber within reach of my bedside. the kids don't go in my room unless they absolutely have to wake me. and they knock first, if i hear door open without a knock. i yell who is it while reaching over. my g/f and kids think i may be nuts. but i try to teach them basic safety. my mom and dad don't answer unless they know it is. or they are expecting company. door is locked day and night. home or not. floodlights illuminating the whole exterior of the house. a few on motion sensors.

Captain38
December 9, 2007, 01:07 PM
PROBABLY are NOT a good idea. They'd sure simplify things for a would-be burglar trying to decide WHICH home to hit after once determining no one is home! An alarm company sign near your exterior doors, however, MIGHT act as a minimal deterrent!

Creature
December 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
armoredman wrote: Never could figure out what to do with this photo, fits well here.

http://www.spygadgets.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PEEP&Category_Code

bikerbill
December 9, 2007, 01:36 PM
I can see my front porch from two sets of front windows, and also through a glass pane in the door ... we don't get too many uninvited guests out here in the hinterlands of Texas; if it's late, I take my 1911 to the door ... just in case ... love the idea of yelling, "I'll get it!" Am adding that to my repertoire ...

----

when they kick at your front door,
how you gonna come?
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun?

Zombie Steve
December 9, 2007, 01:57 PM
If someone knocks and I'm not expecting anyone, I don't usually answer. I don't care if they hear my TV, me walking around... I just don't care. People who know me will call.
That said, if I do, I have a handgun out of view.

Paranoid? I'm the one with the loaded .45 that has training and practices frequently, as well as a safe full of other goodies on turf I'm familiar with. What the heck do I have to be paranoid about?

Manedwolf
December 10, 2007, 12:20 PM
FYI.

Why I've never opened the door for any, ever.

Door-to-Door Salesmen Charged in Death of New Mexico Couple

Monday , December 10, 2007

AP
ADVERTISEMENT

ALBUQUERQUE —
Two traveling salesmen robbed an elderly Albuquerque couple before beating and suffocating the wife and stomping on the husband's head, according to criminal complaints.

Michael Lee, 21, who was born in Boston, and Travis Rowley, 23, a native of Glendora, Calif., have been charged with two open counts of murder and tampering with evidence in the killings.

Korean immigrants Tak Yi, 79, and his 69-year-old wife, Pung Yi, were killed in their home Tuesday.

Lee and Rowley worked for IntegrityPGM, a Las Vegas, Nev.-based company that contracts young people to sell magazine and book subscriptions nationwide.

The two men, who were booked as transients, arrived in Albuquerque Dec. 2 with about 15 salesmen, who have since left town. They are being held on a $2 million bond.

Family members told investigators that jewelry, several cameras and credit cards were missing from the home, the complaints showed.

According to the criminal complaints, Rowley and Lee were dropped off in the Yis' neighborhood to sell the subscriptions when they saw Tak Yi working in his backyard. Rowley told police that Lee said he was going to "steal an item from the home."

Lee allegedly punched an elderly woman who fell to the floor, and Rowley reportedly dragged her into the home. Then Tak Yi entered the home and tried to call police, Rowley told police.

After punching the man twice, Rowley said Lee suffocated the woman and then walked over to the man and stomped his foot on his head, the complaint said. Rowley said he believed the "blow was fatal."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316308,00.html

rantingredneck
December 10, 2007, 12:25 PM
It's a bit of a stretch to call them legit when they were transients dropped off in the town to sell subscriptions. Seems like robbery was their intent all along. Wonder if the company will be held liable in any civil proceedings for their recruitment practices. Yikes......

I just say "No thanks" through a closed door, or if the door is open there's a gun just out of their view.

Capt Charlie
December 10, 2007, 12:28 PM
Manedwolf, interesting article, but it's more in line with this existing thread than a stand-alone, new thread.

Threads merged.

GalilARM
December 10, 2007, 12:40 PM
This happened to me not too long ago...pretty scary, I dont know if I would do the same thing again, but hindsight is always 20/20 so who knows......

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233719
I am a graduate student in Waco TX, known for high crime rates/poverty/etc so I have heard my fair share of robbery/break in/theft stories from other students in my area.

I was sitting at home the other day, around lunchtime, when someone knocks at the door. I looked out the window and couldnt quite make out who it was, but I definately didnt recognize the guy. He was a black guy and was pacing around outside the door. Not that race should be an issue here, but I live in an area that is 99.9% college students, so someone like that is usually out of place and often suspicious. I thought he may have been one of the apartment maintenance guys though....So I took my .45 to the door with me, looked through the peep hole only to see him waving at me, like he knew I was eyeing him. I opened the door and the guy starts into one of those "hey Im trying to sell magazines so that I can blah blah blah" routines. I listened until he paused long enough for me to say no thanks, but when I did, he started to step inside the apartment. I said again that I wasnt interested in what he had to offer but he kept trying to persuade me, all the while he had one of his feet in the door to where I couldnt close it. I backed up and let the door open on its own, my hand on the .45, and I told him that he had one more chance to leave before I called the police. I think it was fairly obvious that I was armed. He STILL kept trying to persuade me, but he backed out of the doorway and I closed it behind him. I thought about calling the police so that they could watch out for the guy, but I was swamped with schoolwork and didnt bother. I should have....

Later on that day, probably 3 hours later or so, I was going over to a girl friends house to pick her up for church. I was on the phone with her as I was driving to her house. I heard the doorbell in the background and she told me that there was someone at the door. She answered it while still on the phone with me, and sure enough, it was that same guy who I had dealt with earlier. I recognized his voice from my end of the line. She didnt even let him begin his sales pitch and told him that she wasnt interested in what he had to sell. She said "oh my God theres a guy at my door and he is trying to come into my house". She was more concerned with the fact that there was a big scary man at her door, and didnt even hear the "magazine subscriptions" part, so as far as she knew this guy was a rapist or robber. (I can hear everything going on over the phone at this point). I was about 45 seconds away from her house at this point, fortunately. I hurried as fast as I could to get there, even though I knew she was probably in less danger than she thought, but either way, no girl should be subjected to that kind of treatment.

I get to her house and the door is open and I see no signs of the magazine guy. (she had hung up the phone at this point) I started to worry, and took my pistol and went into the house. She was backed into the kitchen and he was standing there in the living room trying to convince her that she needed a subscription to Ebony or something like that. I was furious at this point, it was definately the same guy that was at my home earlier, and this time he was INSIDE her house, UNWANTED, AFTER being asked to leave. Now I'm no expert on the law, but I felt like I had every right to present my pistol to this guy and demand that he leave immediately. I was nervous also, but this guy recogized me and his reaction was pretty funny actually. He was probably shocked to see the same guy who he had harrassed earlier in the day. I told him to stay put (the gun was visible) while I called the police. I do volunteer work and have been actively involved with the local police force for the past couple of years, so I dialed them and asked for one of the guys who I knew would be on duty. It turned out that they had actually had a few people complain about the same guy, but the police couldnt locate him in time I guess. We were already late, so we left after the officer took a brief statement. They had the guy out on the curb cuffed, but that was the last I saw. I haven't had a chance yet to ask them what exactly he was charged with if anything.

It was a pretty nerve wracking experience, for me and her, and I think that I acted reasonably and accordingly given the situation. The officers apparently thought so too, because I didnt recieve any criticism for my actions. One officer actually told me that he liked my USP hehe

I know I probably shouldnt have opened the door in the very first place, but in a way I'm glad I did because I was more prepared for the situation at my girl friends house.

^^Basically magazine salesman uses intimidation to sell magazines, then forces his way into my girlfriends apartment after being told no several times. He earned a gun drawn and a long talk with the police.

Perldog007
December 10, 2007, 06:38 PM
One dark rainy night my van broke down and I had no cell phone. I also had long hair and a beard, I stand 5'10" and weigh 300 or so.

Most people would not answer their doors, and I did not blame them. One door was opened by a very old man with impeccable posture. He invited me into his home before he knew what I wanted.

Once inside I was offered hospitality. I gratefully accepted a cup of coffee and told them I needed a phone. The gentleman offered to try and fix my van in the rain and his wife wanted to feed me.

I called my rescue driver and was invited to wait inside where it was warm and dry.

While I was wondering how these nice people could be so trusting I had noticed that the man moved like a thirty year old, not like an eighty year old.

Then I started noticing plaques on the wall. The man was a WWII and Korean War vet, a ranger, a boxer. I admired a Garand in his gun cabinet and we discussed our common interest in shooting and guns. He had other weapons nearby.

I think he let me in because he correctly believed he was up to it if I got out of line. If you ain't this guy - take your weapon to the door. He had one near the door but apparently looked outside and figured the fat guy could be dealt with without it.

I am not a ranger or a boxer so I will answer my door accordingly.

My neighbors were playing cards with another couple Halloween before last. Four armed men yelling "POLICE!!" broke into his home, terrorized all four of them and killed my friend. This was not on TV. He was actually shot on my doorstep looking for help after running away from his tormentors. I was 40 miles away in a Dart tournament.

That kind of stuff never happened in this neighborhood either, not in the 40 years there have been homes here. But it happened that night. My job is to make sure it doesn't happen again if I can prevent it.

My friend died, one day I will too. A gun won't change that. Responsible people well armed can save our way of life though, and we should.

You can't make an appointment for an emergency. Answer your door armed, naked whatever. I am not going to fault you for it. Would that it were everyone cut the same slack.

P.S. armoredman +1 on that pic - If everyone did that home invasions would decline rapidly I am sure.

grymster2007
December 10, 2007, 08:47 PM
P.S. armoredman +1 on that pic - If everyone did that home invasions would decline rapidly I am sure.

True, but I’d probably rather knock on armoredman’s door than WA’s. Now that has serious deterrence value!:eek:

OJ
December 11, 2007, 12:10 AM
We answer the door -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/DOGS/P9110028AB.jpg

Well, we have grown some -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/DOGS/P2240001.jpg

;)

Perldog007
December 11, 2007, 01:21 AM
True, but I’d probably rather knock on armoredman’s door than WA’s. Now that has serious deterrence value!:eek:

Yah I was living in the mountains and some folks were looking for trouble but had the wrong damn trailer (apparently a common happenstance under such circumstances).

It was 230 in the am and I had to get up at four to work, so I was not happy to be awake. When I realized the loud voices on the porch had awakened me it turned to fear.

We had just moved in and had no phone. I grabbed a Mosin Nagant and opened the door and racked the bolt. I forgot to put some clothes on.

Those rough men were suddenly scared on several levels. The encounter ended up with apologies and handshakes all around.

Moral : there is more than one way to scare an intruder, and sometimes multiple methods can be combined for maximum effect.

Moral #2 : pulling a stunt like that is a great way to have your war department mandate pajamas.

tegemu
December 11, 2007, 05:13 PM
I do as you do.

oldbillthundercheif
December 11, 2007, 09:39 PM
I grabbed a Mosin Nagant and opened the door and racked the bolt. I forgot to put some clothes on.

Ha!

A naked man with a rifle is probably the worst-case scenario if you choose to mess with strangers!

They probably needed a change of shorts after that, I know I would.

Oneofsix
December 11, 2007, 11:05 PM
I have a very curious malamute/husky mix, he always goes to the door when he's in. One hand on the collar, loosely-those who don't like dogs don't usually hang around too much longer. When he's out, a .40 or .357 go to the door with me to greet the unknown folks, behind the back. Door's never opened without a good look-see first. Wife and the kids also are onboard, no one opens the door until I give the ok.

SamHouston
December 14, 2007, 10:37 PM
Early this week a local 67 YO lady was killed when she opened her door to a stranger. Initiation for a gang banger?

http://www.kellercitizen.com/101/story/8363.html

MyGunsJammed
December 14, 2007, 11:57 PM
wow..... this is really sad with these elderly people being picked on and killed.....

I find it as totally offensive as there are some gangs, if i'm not mistaken, that wont lay a hand on women, children, or the elderly.....

EastSideRich
December 15, 2007, 12:14 AM
If you asked me a couple of years ago, I would have said I occasionally grabbed a pistol or decent knife if the doorbell rang after dark.

About a year or a year and a half ago the bell rang at about 11:00 at night. The dogs were barking and I didn't want the kids to wake up, so I ran to open the door without even thinking about it to shut the dogs up.
When I opened the door there was two of the creepiest guys I've run across in a long while on my doorstep.
Long story short - they were at the wrong house, they were looking for my neighbor ( I watched out the window and they did go inside); but in that split second when I opened the door, saw these guys and thought "Oh no, this isn't good", the other thought going through my head (then and after the fact) was "I really wish I would have grabbed a gun". Even afterwards, when I was sure they were just at the wrong house, it still kind of freaked me out.

Now if someone is at the door at night, which rarely happens, I automatically get a pistol. I don't generally do so during the day, the thought doesn't even occur to me.
As an aside, we really need to install a peep-hole.

KyleH
December 15, 2007, 07:10 AM
I set my shotgun 2 steps of way out of sight, then look through the glass and ask how I can help them without unlocking the door. If I had a pistol I might open it, but otherwise I don't open it.

STS3_SSN705
December 15, 2007, 07:30 AM
I have a doorphone tied into my phone system. Person outside pushes the call button, and phones ring. My family or I can then have a conversation with the person before deciding to open the door. As for whether or not I carry while opening the door, that's a yes, simply because I always carry.

armoredman
December 15, 2007, 09:58 AM
...as there are some gangs, if i'm not mistaken, that wont lay a hand on women, children, or the elderly.....
Nope. Depraved souls all. I knew ONE guy who wouldn't hit a female officer, would wait for male staff to come by to take out his anger. 99% of gangbangers I have met inside could care less who or what you are. If you have what they want, they will hurt you to get it. and if you die, that's YOUR fault. Only things that stop them is the threat of pure naked force.
To a lot of these guys, old people and kids are simply easier targets, and women have the added attraction of potential rape targets.

MeekAndMild
December 15, 2007, 10:21 AM
Naked is more menacing if you dye your skin blue. Its a little inconvenient but very tactical.

Oh yes, answer the question...sorry...I just go to the door and try to keep the dogs from eating whoever it is.

ssilicon
December 15, 2007, 05:37 PM
Day or night, expecting or not expecting. If I do not recognize someone then I keep my "insurance" on hand out of sight. I have installed security lights and also a peep hole so I can get a look without unlocking the dead bolt.

Perldog007
December 15, 2007, 09:03 PM
Only things that stop them is the threat of pure naked force.

That's already been covered :D or uncovered depending on your point of view.

I agree though. There is no rule for dealing with violent criminals today. Think John Gotti would still trust Omerta?

Here in my 'hood we know that there are scumbags, crackheads, outlaw bikers, and murderers. We also know that local LEO can fall short with astounding dependability.

But it was the only house I could buy. And they just put in municipal sewer, the prices are a goin up.

Seriously, when my friend was gunned down the side of my house was riddled too. They told me to call them if I found a slug they didn't bother to pull. (anybody else seeing a chain of custody issue here?.. "Well your honor this slug was recovered by a fat guy who is a really well trained security guard and he has watched CSI...")

Even if you think you are safe, be careful. Too many people have trustingly opened their doors and some did not live long enough to fully regret it.

In the case of my neighbor and friend, locking the screen door and keeping a weapon near could have made the difference. I might still be able to walk across my yard to visit him, instead of going to his resting place.

I would like to be able to continue to play keyboard commando with you folks for a spell. Stay safe, stay in the game.

Stevie-Ray
December 17, 2007, 09:48 PM
Naked is more menacing if you dye your skin blue. Its a little inconvenient but very tactical.Menacing? Tactical? More like hilarious. I saw the Blue Man Group a couple years ago.;)

I always have a gun on me when I answer the door. Whether or not it's out depends on the situation, time of day, etc. At troubled times I will answer with a full-sized .45 and not care if it's seen.

kgpcr
December 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
I would know who it is before i open the door. if i dont know them i dont open it. I dont need a gun to open the door when i know who it is

JustSteve
January 3, 2008, 10:25 PM
A few years ago I was polishing the brass hilt of a decorative sword ,the doorbell rang and I didn't have any place to set it down(it was covered with polish).I went to the door ,sword in hand, it was a councilman looking to drum up some votes.He said hello,noticed the sword,handed me some notepads and pens and left without saying anything else.
To answer the OP inever go to the door empty handed,gun knife,phone,fruitcake or whatever else is handy when someone knocks.

feel free to make your own "polishing the sword" jokes :D

Steve

MSgtUSMC
January 3, 2008, 11:36 PM
I answered the door once. When I found it didn't have much to say I shut it.

Capt Charlie
January 5, 2008, 01:00 AM
Um... how in hades I missed this thread, I'll never know. :o It's exactly what I was talking about here! (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270787) :rolleyes:

CLOSED!!!!!