PDA

View Full Version : Buying ammo through the mail

Tony Lagio
November 7, 2007, 10:59 AM
I'm sure the answer is somewhere, I just haven't seen it.

I'm told we can buy ammo through the mail as long as we contact the delivery people and let them know. Like UPS or whatever. Is this all there is? http://bestsmileys.com/shooting1/20.gif

Unregistered
November 7, 2007, 11:05 AM
You don't have to contact anyone to UPS or Fedex ammo. Just order it from the store, and they will ship to you. I don't think the US Mail will ship ammo, but not sure.

rellascout
November 7, 2007, 11:08 AM
I mail order/ online order ammo all time. Just received 1000 round of M885 today. All the shipper has to do is notify the carrier that there in ammo in the box. Most do this by placing this sticker on the box.

http://www.labelmaster.com/images/products/200x200/orm-d.jpg

Tony Lagio
November 7, 2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks Unregistered and rellascout, that sure makes it easy. :D

rellascout
November 7, 2007, 11:28 AM
Are you looking for something in particular?

Its hard to find good deals these days. Prices are going up!!!!!

Tony Lagio
November 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
Yes, I want to buy some stuff from Buffalo Bore. They have the .38 Specials in the FBI load, 158gr LSWCHP that I've been looking for and they have a gas check behind each bullet which is supposed to do away with most of the lead fouling. There is no good deal though, I expect to pay top dollar but that's okay as they're not for the range, they're strictly self defense ammo.

EOD Guy
November 7, 2007, 01:24 PM
I mail order/ online order ammo all time. Just received 1000 round of M885 today. All the shipper has to do is notify the carrier that there in ammo in the box. Most do this by placing this sticker on the box.
That would be the wrong marking. Small arms ammunition is not considered a Consumer Commodity.

rellascout
November 7, 2007, 04:38 PM
Interesting because that is the sticker that is on the box of M885 62 grain 556 I received today :eek:

It doesn't matter anyway th point is that ordering ammo online or mail order is painless.

Te Anau
November 7, 2007, 04:43 PM
Buying ammo through the mail
A lot of retailers require you to send in a copy of your drivers license to verify age.:mad:

rellascout
November 7, 2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah I don't order from them.

SOSARMS
November 7, 2007, 06:51 PM
The ORM-D label is correct ( other regulated material class D ), and the label shown should work OK, even if not truely correct......Mainly insures that the shipper will not use air freight to deliver it....Post office regularly ships mail via air, that's why i believe they will not ship it. I think the CORRECT label that ships from my distributor states ......ORM-D small arms ammunition....Just a FYI...

EOD Guy
November 7, 2007, 09:15 PM
The ORM-D label is correct ( other regulated material class D ), and the label shown should work OK, even if not truely correct......Mainly insures that the shipper will not use air freight to deliver it....Post office regularly ships mail via air, that's why i believe they will not ship it. I think the CORRECT label that ships from my distributor states ......ORM-D small arms ammunition....Just a FYI...

No, it is not. The proper shipping name is ammunition small arms, not consumer commodity. Shipping ammunition as a consumer commodity is a violation of DOT regulations and subject to a civil fine of $5,000 per day for each day the shipment is in commerce.

There is no almost correct in shipping hazardous materials. DOT regulations state that the proper shipping name must be written EXACTLY as writen in the regulation.

In a case like this, DOT would most likely tell the shipper to shape up and only issue a finding with no fine. It is also unlikely that it would even be brought to their attention.

rellascout
November 7, 2007, 09:26 PM
EOD,

Did a bug crawl up your butt and die? You are getting all worked up over nothing.

You really need to chill out.

Tony Lagio
November 7, 2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. The company I will buy the ammo from does mail order all the time so I guess they will know just what to do and not get themselves into any trouble with incorrect labeling.

Cheers... :)

rellascout
November 7, 2007, 09:35 PM
Exactly it is not your issue. It is the shippers.

Enjoy your ammo. :)

EOD Guy
November 8, 2007, 10:33 AM
EOD,

Did a bug crawl up your butt and die? You are getting all worked up over nothing.

You really need to chill out.

Sorry, but I've been shipping hazardous materials for a long time and I'm anal (maybe it's the bug:p) about everything being correct. I'm also proud of the fact that I've never been written up in a DOT compliance inspection.

Also, I was wrong out the $5,000 fine. I looked it up and it's only $800 for marking a wrong shipping name. :o

rellascout
November 8, 2007, 10:44 AM
No problem. I understand taking pride in ones work. :)

I just did not understand why you where lashing out.

Is this better?

http://www.mavericklabel.com/images/sm_artwork/thumbnails/orm101c.gif

CGSteve8718
November 8, 2007, 04:32 PM
It's super easy for PA residents Lagio, no silly rules to abide by. I have seen both kinds of stickers placed on my packages, some say ORM - D with "small arms" also on the sticker, I'm not positive but I'm sure just said ORM-D.

I'm not questioningly your occupation/expertise EOD, just stating what I've seen.

Anyway, as for retailers who ask for age verification, I have no problem with it, I'm willing to go out of the way for a sale. A couple of great places to buy ammo online,

midwayusa.com
ammunitiontogo.com

stephpd
November 8, 2007, 06:44 PM
Ordered ammo a few times. Never noticed any stickers. Never give ID,never told UPS.
UPS guy is like Santa, just shows up more often.:D

gvf
November 9, 2007, 04:52 AM
Not even notify carrier. I've ordered a couple of times from Sportsman's Guide. They just ship and it's sitting by my front door after a little while. They take care of any necessary notifications - if they're needed. So, it's just like getting anything else in the mail. No sweat.