PDA

View Full Version : Benelli or Beretta

Jseime
October 10, 2007, 09:34 PM
After hunting with some guys from Iowa who were up hunting geese and let me try their Beretta shotguns when my 500 mossberg had a minor hiccup and needed some attention, I have decided that I need a high end autoloader.

My dilemma is which to get, do I go for the Beretta Xtrema $1459 or a Benelli M2 Field $1459.

Both are offered in configurations i like and both look really nice, they are exactly the same price, is there a wrong way to go... maybe just buy the one that looks best to me?

Let me know what you think is this kind of a Benz or BMW decision or is one clearly better than the other.

Just to throw another kink into the system the Reminton 105 CTi is 40 bucks cheaper and looks really good too.

Hotbarrel
October 10, 2007, 09:48 PM
I've never seen a 105CTi in person, so I can't comment.
Benelli is part of Beretta Group, not that it makes a difference. Both are excellent guns.
The Benelli is recoil-operated, relying on the thump against your shoulder to initiate the cycling action. With lots of shells fired, like clays or doves, you'll feel the recoil more.
Berettas are gas-operated. Less recoil, and the 391 has an improved piston design that allows lots (some say thousands) of reliable shots between cleanings.
I guess it all depends on what you'll use it for, and how many shells you'll fire in a day. The most important thing is how it feels, and how you feel about it months after buying it.

zoomie
October 10, 2007, 09:55 PM
That sounds way too high for the M2 Field...

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=9935_13769_6057_6086

All at or below $1200.

The Xtrema is less, also.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=16630_16737

Not that $100-$200 makes that much difference at this level, but you did mention $40 difference, so maybe it does to you.

Jseime
October 10, 2007, 10:33 PM
Ha you raise a vaild point Zoomie but im buying in Canada and the prices of everything are higher here from trucks and sleds to guns and food especially tobacco and booze.

Those prices are about as cheap as you can get anywhere even remotely near to here.

What about Browning and Remington autos as well? How do they stack up against the higher end stuff?

zoomie
October 10, 2007, 11:46 PM
I think don't think you can pick a clear winner comparing the autos from Browning, Remington, Beretta, or Benelli, especially among their "Field" class guns.

Figure out if you want recoil operated, gas operated, wood, synthetic, 24", 26", 28", American, foreign... Then pick the brand that has the most of your ideals.

The M2 Field and Xtrema have the no-frills black synthetic look. The 105cti has a little more "classic" look. Tell ya what, buy all 4, and give me the 3 you like least. :D

Scorch
October 10, 2007, 11:58 PM
I would go with the Benelli. I have fired one, and it is the next shotgun I will buy. No gas-operated auto will shoot with a Benelli. They shoot softer, but will need cleaning pretty soon. You could shoot a Benelli for years and never clean it.

T-Mac
October 11, 2007, 04:20 PM
I have both. My Beretta is gas operated.
In tough conditions, the Beretta never jambs if I keep it clean.
The Benelli never jambs, period.

FrontSight
October 11, 2007, 04:49 PM
I've been having jamming problems with by Benelli SBE II with 3.5" shells. I think I have to send it in for service to see what's up...

I have a Beretta A303 that has not jammed one single time in 17 years!

BigJimP
October 11, 2007, 06:19 PM
The Benelli shoots a lot cleaner than a gas gun / and it cycles faster. I like the Benelli if you choose it with the "comfort tech" recoil supression system - and I think the comfort tech makes it a softer shooting gun than the gas guns.

The semi-auto I prefer is the super sport / carbon fibre and the comfort tech system but its more money. If you want the field gun - I'd recommend a model with the comfort tech system. My super sport will easily cycle any round, even 7/8 oz, as long as it is 1200 fps or faster.

The Benelli is a lot quicker to break down and clean than any of the gas guns - but if you're set on a gas gun I think the Beretta or the Remington are good options.

Jseime
October 12, 2007, 11:41 PM
Ok I think I'm cutting the Benelli out of the race and going to gas only guns.

I like the idea of a softer shooter I like to shoot a lot and not have the bruises to prove it so its now, Beretta, Remington, or Browning semi-automatics.

Do I get spendy and go for the Beretta or will the Browning or Remington keep up for less money?

ebutler462
October 13, 2007, 09:06 AM
My opinion FWIW is, buy a reliable inexpensive gun like the 930 for most upland use. A 935 for waterfowl. If everyone would go for reliability instead of name, the other name brands would not be so expensive. IMO, if the gun is reliable and goes bang, I don't really care what brand is stamped on it.

You can buy a lot of ammo and hunting gear for the difference in price.

ebutler462
October 13, 2007, 09:12 AM
I forgot to add that I have a Remington 11-87 and a Stoeger M2000 for heavy duty use (whatever kind of shooting that is) and a Franchi 48 20 gauge for uplands. Never a problem with either of them. Since I bought the M2000, the other guns are getting a much needed rest. If you don't really need the 3.5" loads, the M2000 is the only gun you will ever need.

timinkc
October 13, 2007, 08:34 PM
I shoot my teknys gold much better than i did my 1187, but it's probably just mental... I really like my brothers benelli SBEII it's one of the newer ones with all the comfortech stuff, seems like a first class gun... I wouldn't count it out, I think there are some people on the board who talk out of school a little...

I've never meet anyone who said "boy I really wish I wouldn't have bought a Beretta".

Neanderthal
October 21, 2007, 03:13 AM
I shoot a Stoeger 2000 which has the same operating system design as the Benelli. Recoil was an issue when it was new. I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad and added 13 0z. of weight to the stock and reduced felt recoil by a huge percentage. It shoots so soft now. The difference is unbelievable. These guns are SO simple and easy to take apart-put together that you have to do it to believe it. My 2000 functions flawlessly in ANY hunting situation. My friend's Extrema jammed on me when I shot it. My 2000 has just been perfect for me. I'd buy the Benelli!