PDA

View Full Version : Who's Eaten Coot ???

samsmix
October 8, 2007, 04:09 PM
Here in "Montucky" there is a 15 bird daily bag limit on mud hens (coots), but nobody shoots them. Why are they considered a game bird? I shot one out of a flock of ducks by mistake, and being a good sport I tried to eat it!
WOW! Lets just say if I were as flexible as my dog, I'd lick my butt to get the taste out of my mouth! YUCK!

So the question is: Who eats Coots?

Mergansers?

Whistlers (Goldeye)?

CO@heart
October 8, 2007, 04:22 PM
I don't, but when I was 10 my grandfather would let me shoot them with my 410, in the duck blind with his hunting buddies, we would go back to the cabin to take a nap, and he would always leave them outside, so when I would wake up, the coots would be gone, my grandfather always blamed the missing birds on the coyotes. It took me a few years to realize that he would chunk them in the woods for the coyotes, I doubt they would eat them, but good luck and if you take any youngsters with you, those are good birds to start on in my opinion.

bswiv
October 8, 2007, 05:25 PM
Once, for the same reason you did. I've been much more careful about what I shoot sense...........................don't want to do it again!

castnblast
October 8, 2007, 05:29 PM
I did once too...NEVER, NEVER, AGAIN!!! they taste like:barf:...Or Barf+mud...If I were a starving coyote, I don't think I'd eat one...I'd eat a buzzard before I tried one again...

davlandrum
October 8, 2007, 05:59 PM
My mom's husband says they used to eat coot. Sounded like the most important thing was wrapped in bacon and slathered in onions. They were poor enough that taste was not the most important aspect of food.

He did one a few years ago to see if it was "as good as he remembered" and couldn't get more than one bite down.:barf:

Trapp
October 8, 2007, 06:35 PM
I've eaten plenty in my duck hunting days.....

Now I am out of Louisiana (by far the best duck hunting.....)

We would cook em in a gumbo or a stew. I didn't think they were half bad :confused:

Of course I am pretty sure them coonasses can make anything taste good!!

Nutria rat, possum, coon.......

Oh yeah... we always called em "Pool dou"

samsmix
October 8, 2007, 06:48 PM
If "coonasses" is a racist term, I would prefer your "Trapp" stay closed!

Trapp
October 8, 2007, 06:53 PM
Racist?

Not a bit...

Would you prefer southern Louisiana Redneck?

Swamp people?

Acadians?

Blah.........

samsmix
October 8, 2007, 06:58 PM
In that case I stand corrected, and you have my appology for the play on your name.

Sorry, but I worry about those who think we gun owners are all a bunch of Never-do-wells. I did not mean to be trigger happy in my respose.

MeekAndMild
October 8, 2007, 08:31 PM
Coonasses ain't Cajuns. They, or should I say we? were mostly Scots-Irish, as often as not Protestants, who settled just to the north of Cajun territory. But nowadays there are a lot of Catholics who speak French and are named Macthis or Macthat. Not that all the French speakers were Cajuns as a lot up Alexandria way were Belgian and considered themselves coonasses. Gets complicated.

Back on topic, you can make a pretty good gumbo with coots, squirrel heads and even possum if you spice it up. The spice is the important thing. I had my first Yankee-cooked mudbugs a couple of weeks ago and it took all I had in me to not just walk off from supper. Danged fools didn't put any pepper, no cloves, no garlic, no onions, no spice at all and it was like eating swamp mud!

cajun47
October 8, 2007, 08:54 PM
coonass used to be popular when i was very young. about 30 years ago. we used to call each other that all the time. i haven't heard that in a very long time though. its a silly name made by cajuns for cajuns as far as i know. personally i only had one person try to use "coonass" toward me as an insult. i laughed in his face so loud and close i kinda spit on his eyes and nose and laughed some more. im guessing the coonass thing faded away when the cajun thing became popular.

"Pool dou" man i love that! the ones i kill and eat come out of a lake 4 or 5 feet deep. their gizzards(the best) are always full of grass(sea weed). maybe they dont mess with the mud at my lake that much or maybe its cause im a swamp person and im used to the mud taste lol?

i eat lots of crawfish, catfish, turtle and bull frogs. eating nutria rats isn't that popular in my area of the swamp land but my buddies and i gave it a shot not long ago. we killed 3, cleaned them and filled my huge black iron pot to the top with nutria and onions. one case of beer later we ate. taste like rabbit. i love it but i admit killing and cleaning them big old rats with a snake tail is a turn off. on the other hand they live in the water and eat grass. very clean animal. i never tried or ever will try possium unless im starving to death. never tried coon but i guess i would.

cajun47
October 8, 2007, 09:00 PM
"Coonasses ain't Cajuns. They, or should I say we? were mostly Scots-Irish"

didn't know that. i guess i really don't know where "coonass" came from. all i know it was a fad in my little cajun town about 30 years ago.

about that mud taste most of you speak of, it may be what i call "wild taste". i love that. i don't even soak deer meat to get the blood out. i want all the blood in the pot. i grew tired of store bought cow, pig, chicken long ago.

Scorch
October 8, 2007, 09:13 PM
We used to have this old guy around that would tell you recipes for just about anything. Possum, raccoon, rockchucks, you name it. My hunting buddy and I got a recipe from him for coot. We shot a limit of coot, washed them in milk, marinated them in a wine sauce for 24 hours, slow roasted them in the oven, and when they came out they tasted . . . awful, just awful. Imagine mud and coot poop mixed with milk and wine marinade, and you might get the idea.

geezer in NH
October 8, 2007, 10:54 PM
:barf: shooting one the penalty is eating what you shoot. Yuk BTDTNA

Dirty_Harry
October 9, 2007, 08:30 AM
I don't even know what a coot is, I guess I am a northern fellow.:D

davlandrum
October 9, 2007, 11:03 AM
DH - we have coots in Oregon. They have a distinctive white bill and are mud ducks. There used to be a lot of them on the lake where my Grandpa lived, but we don't see the huge rafts of them as much anymore. Might have something to do with the increase in eagles, osprey, and hawks since then. Maybe...that is a straight out made up guess...:p

arizona hunter
October 9, 2007, 11:27 AM
My brother said he tried one just to see what they taste like-mud! Never again. They should be listed as a pest like crows or coyotes.

JWT
October 9, 2007, 11:36 AM
Shot them occasionally as a kid growing up in Wisconsin. Always tossed them away, or let them float away.

Dad always said don't bring them home they're not edible - taste like mud - and that was unusual since he always said " if you shoot it you clean it and and it."

Smokey Joe
October 9, 2007, 12:08 PM
As is often the case, those who don't like eating coot never had one prepared properly.

Coot breast, parboiled, then fried in butter with garlic, is heaven on a plate. I once won a bet with a friend who said I couldn't prepare a coot to his taste--I added that I'd do it in 10 minutes, bird to plate. He conceded that it was delicious.

And gizzards! Just a big hunk of muscle! My duck hunting buds wouldn't take them home but I'm too Scotch not to. Remove the tough inner sac and the 2 ligaments, and nothing left but muscle. My wife worked up a recipie for curried coot, duck, and goose gizzards that had me asking other hunters for their unwanted gizzards please.

BTW, coots don't eat mud, or anything unpleasant. They are water weed eaters just like that prized duck, the canvasback. Leastways 'round where I hunted them.

Dirty_Harry
October 9, 2007, 12:13 PM
Smokey Joe must have had some choice USDA, black dangus Coot :D

K80Geoff
October 9, 2007, 03:22 PM
Not being a regular poster here in the hunting forum I am curious about the term "Coot".

I know of the bird in the rail family properly called a Coot by ornithologists. http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/American_Coot.html

However on my native Long Island, where waterfowl hunting (Before Hilly and Chucky) was once common, old timers who hunted ducks referred to any sea duck as a "Coot" and avoided them like they would a game warden.

"Hey boy, you shoot one of them coots ya gotta eat it". They also refer to someone as an "Ol Coot" as a mild pejorative.

So just what are you folks discussing here? Coots or coots?:p

davlandrum
October 9, 2007, 05:35 PM
As is often the case, those who don't like eating coot never had one prepared properly.

That sentence gave me terrible flashbacks of every one of my relatives telling me that I would like liver "the way they made it"...:barf:

No offense to those that eat it, but I would rather eat my rubber boots after mucking the barn........

FirstFreedom
October 9, 2007, 05:55 PM
Since I don't believe this is a reference to my crazy college days, I'll say no, have not eaten coot.

davlandrum - ditto on liver. I've heard people say "I hate cow liver but love deer liver" - well acting on that info, I tried some of my deer's liver a couple months ago, fried in butter, and while not as offensive as cow liver, it was highly offensive. Dog's enjoyed it immensely though. :)

Davis
October 9, 2007, 06:05 PM
An eatery in Shreveport called Bubba's and Budreaux's speciallizes in cajun and coonass cuisine. Nah, coonass isn't racist. Most coonasses refer to themselves as such. I know quite a few coonasses, as well as cajuns.

Davis

Eghad
October 9, 2007, 06:21 PM
When I forst moved to SE Texas in 1976 the old timers used to refer to armadillos as 'Hoover Hogs"....lol.

SavageSniper
October 9, 2007, 06:56 PM
I have never tried coot, but I have learned while raising 3 daughters that with enough ketchup and beer, anything can be made ok to eat:D

MeekAndMild
October 9, 2007, 07:56 PM
Imagine mud and coot poop mixed with milk and wine marinade, and you might get the idea. I tell you Scorch, you've got to put spice in it. By spice I mean cayanne peppers. :eek:

Smokey Joe
October 9, 2007, 08:35 PM
K 80 Jeff--Not being a regular poster here in the hunting forum I am curious about the term "Coot".I know of the bird in the rail family properly called a Coot by ornithologists.Not being a sea duck hunter, I was referring to the rail-family bird, Fulica americana. Assumed (perhaps erroneously,) that everybody else was as well.

Have heard the term "old coot" all my life to slightly pejoratively reference an elderly, perhaps crotchety, gentleman. May I live long enough to qualify as an old coot myself!

And BTW, Davlandrum and First Freedom, the secret to cooking liver is to fry it in butter--or bacon fat--until it is just barely done and not one second more. Most people cook the stuff to death, whereupon it becomes tough and inedible. Liver and bacon and onions...I'm salivating just typing it!

Couple of my hunting buds hate liver, so I always have a supply in the freezer. And that is a Good Thing! (The same ones also hate mushrooms in any cooked dish. There is just no accounting for taste.)

Wolf Lies Down
October 9, 2007, 11:10 PM
--
-Coonasses? Did you say Coonasses?? Why, boy, some of my best friends is coonasses!!

I would like to know the origin of that name. I lost the web address for a site that listed every conceiveable racial, ethnic or otherwise slur along with the origin of the name. Many were commonly used terms that were not thought of as derogatory until the term fell from common use. Generally by that time the origin and the original meaning was lost or not commonly known.

It is interesting and useful to know and understand this stuff.

Wolf Lies Down

davlandrum
October 10, 2007, 11:33 AM
Smokey Joe - apparently I am like your hunting buddies - no way, not now, not then, not even after several helpings of adult beverages...

samsmix
October 12, 2007, 05:14 PM
No, SavageSniper, you are not in error, we are speaking of the non-seagiong member of the rail family.

This is great stuff guys! I am also enjoying the history of the term "Coonass". It has been a learning experience.

Also, here in Montana the catfish we have is mostly Channel Cats, and they too taste like poop no matter how you fix 'em. It tastes bad like the farm raised commercial variety tastes bad.

Jseime
October 12, 2007, 11:51 PM
I think the only reason that they let you hunt them is to control the population. I have a golden lab and some cats that might eat them but they are kind of welfare critters theyll eat anything.

oldironman
October 13, 2007, 12:20 AM
Also, here in Montana the catfish we have is mostly Channel Cats, and they too taste like poop no matter how you fix 'em. It tastes bad like the farm raised commercial variety tastes bad.

samsmix, you guys are just plain sick up there. The channel cat is one of the best fish there is. You sure you aren't talking about the mud-cat? They look similar to the channel (yellow-bellied), but smaller. They are nasty.

samsmix
October 25, 2007, 08:34 PM
Nope. We have honest to goodness channel cats, but I'd rather eat trout, walleye, bluegill, bass, salmon, ling (burbot), sauger, perch, crappies, whitefish, sucker, carp, or even lick me own bum than eat one.

nutty ned
October 26, 2007, 07:44 PM
I ate them in the old days. No more!
There right in there with artichokes, water moccasins, and scrambled snapping turtle eggs as something I do not eat anymore.

castnblast
October 27, 2007, 10:04 PM
davlandrum - ditto on liver. I've heard people say "I hate cow liver but love deer liver" - well acting on that info, I tried some of my deer's liver a couple months ago, fried in butter, and while not as offensive as cow liver, it was highly offensive. Dog's enjoyed it immensely though.

FF, that's down right hilarious...ever see a dog eat poo...I guess if they'll eat poo, then they'll eat coot, poo, or liver for that matter...:barf: Just another $#@% eating dog...LOL...

Ranger Al
October 28, 2007, 12:23 AM
Doesn't taste like chicken, huh???

BillCA
October 28, 2007, 07:50 AM
Coot recipe for two;

2 skinless coot breast fillets
1 medium yellow onion
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1 garlic clove
1 cup bread crumbs
2 cups of cut green beans
1 slice of soft-cooked bacon
1 cup of white rice
2 cups of white wine

In a pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add rice. Stir and return to a boil. Remove from heat, cover. Stir before serving. In another pot, bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil with the slice of cooked bacon in it. Add cut green beans, cover and reduce heat to medium-low for 3 minutes. Drain water and add about 1/2 tsp butter, stir until melted.

Rinse coot breast in cold running water and then cut into 1" x 1/2" strips. Combine spices and bread crumbs in a bag, then add cut strips to bag. Shake for 30 seconds to coat. Dice onion and garlic clove.

Add a little oil to a skillet and heat to medium heat, add onion, garlic and coot breast. Cook approximately 4 minutes, stirring occasionally or until golden brown.

To serve, spread rice on the plate, top with buttered green beans and chopped bacon. Pour a cup of wine into glasses, serve the coot to the dogs then eat the rice and green beans with the wine.

iudoug
October 28, 2007, 11:57 AM
I have ate tons of waterfowl and my mother was an excellent cook. We breasted some of the coots and soaked them for 2 days before cooking. When mom cooked them we could barely stand to go in the house!!! HOWEVER, An oldtimer brought some into a marina where I worked as a boy and they were delicious.....it took him 3 weeks to convince me they were coots. To this day I always have regretted not getting that recipe. All I know is that he breaded them and deep fried them. Doug

Ranger Al
October 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
Bill..

I was wondering who is going to be the second person eating your cooking. It look very good from the begining. Told me exwife about it and she was really into it until the very end. LMAO! heheheh

model70fan
October 28, 2007, 02:04 PM
I eat coot all the time, good filler when the ducks aren't flying. Wrap them in good thick bacon and grill them, or bake with cream of mushroom. My dad never would shoot or eat them because he didn't know how to cook them, and he didn't like how their feet look like a chicken's, not a ducks. I started when my grampa told me our family would have huge duck roasts and they would fill in with coot. Now I always shoot them whenever there aren't any ducks around.

Jseime
October 28, 2007, 10:59 PM
I think I'm gonna try out the golden lab on them he is about 6 and was never trained to retrieve but the instinct is there for sure so I'm gonna take him out and shoot a couple coots and just see if I can get him to work as a duck dog.

The absolute worst that could happen is that the dog eats a coot or two. They arent wasted, the dog is happy cuz he got a bird to eat and go swimming no harm no foul.

samsmix
November 3, 2007, 04:33 PM
AH!...no harm, no ''foul''...but ''fowl''?

...Unless you eat 'em yourself. That would indeed be Foul!

wayneinFL
November 3, 2007, 05:59 PM
When I forst moved to SE Texas in 1976 the old timers used to refer to armadillos as 'Hoover Hogs"....lol.

An old man from Alabama I used to work with steadfastly refused to eat chicken because that's all they ate during the depression. Best fried chicken in the world and he wouldn't eat it. I can't imagine having to eat armadillo.

Kentucky Deer Hunter
November 14, 2007, 04:33 PM
:rolleyes: - enough said...