PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Quickly Deploy A HD Shotgun?

dad23honu
October 6, 2007, 05:06 AM
I have children in the house, so having a loaded shotgun in the house for home defense is out of the question.

I have two pistols in quick-access pistol safes. I can be armed in a matter of seconds, in two different places in my home. All of my long guns are in a long gun safe (dial type combination lock).

I'd be interested in ideas on how to be able to quickly present a loaded shotgun, if/when the need arises (God forbid).

I have two Mossberg 500's. One is a 20" with a 7 round mag, and the other is an 18.5" with a 5 round mag. I have a pistol grip that I'll put on one. The other will have a 12" length of pull stock, so my wife will be able to handle it.

Thanks!

Hawg
October 6, 2007, 11:31 AM
If your intruders are armed and in the room with you you'll be dead before you get to your guns in your safe. If I'm in bed all I've got to do is reach over and grab a shotgun, click off the safety, point and shoot. Aywhere else in the house I'm never more than two steps away from a locked and loaded something. I grew up in house full of loaded guns. I was taught better than to touch them and would have gotten a severe whipping if I did.

chris in va
October 6, 2007, 11:54 AM
That's a tough one. Maybe something like this?

http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/TechSupport/Cornerlocktech.htm

Requires keys though, which I'm not a big fan of.

zoomie
October 6, 2007, 12:04 PM
Spendy, but here's the best I've seen for long gun quick access:
http://www.vlineind.com/html/long_gun_case.html
http://www.vlineind.com/assets/images/rifle.jpg

BillCA
October 6, 2007, 12:05 PM
Or something like this;

LifeJacket Locking Shotgun Safety Case
http://www.letargets.com/html/storage3.html

Or you can do what I do, which is unlock the large safe at night and keep the shotgun in there, with an empty chamber.

Slopemeno
October 6, 2007, 02:28 PM
Ditch the pistol grip, and spend more effort keeping the bad guys outside, i.e., locks, security lights, alarm, etc. Distance and time are your friend.

I think the pistol safes are a great idea for people with kids, though.

Smitty in CT
October 6, 2007, 03:45 PM
Since you have Mossbergs, you can easily use the Loc-Box.

I have one set up "hidden" behind one of the curtains in the bedroom.

When locked up, the shotgun has the bolt open and the magtube full. All I have to do is hit the bolt release button (Mossberg 930SPX) and I have 7 rounds available if I need them....

http://www.mossberg.com/prodimages/L95092med.jpg

http://www.mossberg.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=95092

Good inurance, it keeps the kids from "being kids"...

Double Naught Spy
October 6, 2007, 07:08 PM
If your intruders are armed and in the room with you you'll be dead before you get to your guns in your safe. If I'm in bed all I've got to do is reach over and grab a shotgun, click off the safety, point and shoot. Aywhere else in the house I'm never more than two steps away from a locked and loaded something. I grew up in house full of loaded guns. I was taught better than to touch them and would have gotten a severe whipping if I did.

If they are in the room with you, you are already pretty screwed, whether the gun is next to the bed or not.

Jseime
October 6, 2007, 08:12 PM
Drag a dead monte carlo onto your front lawn, set it up on blocks and pop the hood... maybe break the windshield out and pull the motor out with an engine lift and leave it sitting there. Then get some NRA bumper stickers for the back window

Nothin says "I am fully armed and will shoot at the first thing I see" like a hillbilly style yard. No one will ever break in to your house for fear that you are better armed than they are.

HDTVSELLER
October 6, 2007, 10:32 PM
the gun lock behind the curtains sounds sweet to me .and a belt of bird shot under the bed for a little extra until you can reach the safe...

Stan_TheGunNut
October 7, 2007, 12:45 AM
How old are your kids? Maybe you can take them shooting and teach them how to handle a gun. I would also suggest good locks, good lighting, an alarm system, and a dog.

Neanderthal
October 21, 2007, 03:50 AM
If you can't keep a defense gun loaded and within easy reach, you're screwed. You can try to convince yourself otherwise, but it's a fact. I grew up in a house full of guns and ammo. Education is the key with children.

WIN71
October 21, 2007, 10:59 AM
You been hanging around my neighborhood again haven't you.

chris in va
October 21, 2007, 05:03 PM
Word of caution, you DON'T want a lock with keys. You may keep them on your person 24/7... but how about when you're gone and your SO doesn't have them? Or someone forgets to leave the keys.

They really need to come up with a decent corner lock that is quick access if something is trying to bust through the window.

Case in point, I do residential window cleaning for a living. In some of the more upscale houses I've done, the windows have these locks that shoot a bolt through the wood. Good idea, except a family died one year when a fast fire swept through the house and they couldn't find the keys, or that silly thing that looks like a lugnut wrench. Multiple panes of glass too.

I tell them just stick an eyebolt in the hole and be done. Same concept, you want something the adults can unlock without hunting for keys.

Hawg
October 21, 2007, 05:13 PM
If they are in the room with you, you are already pretty screwed, whether the gun is next to the bed or not.

Not if it's dark and they don't know the layout. Sides they'd never get past the dogs in the yard.

rdks
October 29, 2007, 04:03 PM
I use a combination trigger lock. The numbers are always set one off on the last two digits. This allows me to quickly unlock the device, even in the dark.
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Club-Brand-3-Pack-Combination-Gun-Trigger-Lock-NEW_W0QQitemZ120174988781QQihZ002QQcategoryZ73941QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No fumbling for keys for me

The only downside to this system is that the firearms can be easily stolen. That's not really a concern for me as I prefer quick access.

GoGo
October 29, 2007, 05:08 PM
The problem is if the kids get a hold of a loaded weapon and turn the safety off and bam, YOU go to jail.

Having a loaded weapon anywhere a kid or teen can get to it is just plain stupid and child endangerment. No matter how you threaten the kids, they are curious.

You just have to think of a way of locking one up and having fast access to it.

I have 2 boys, I sleep with one ear listening to the sounds of the house.:) And a quick access to a .38 under my bed.

I have a 2 story house, by the the time they force thier way into the bottom floor I'll be up with the .38 and on my way to the closet with the shotguns and pistols.

Hawg
October 29, 2007, 05:17 PM
Having a loaded weapon anywhere a kid or teen can get to it is just plain stupid and child endangerment. No matter how you threaten the kids, they are curious.

Not if you teach them right. My daughter is 15 and has owned her own guns since she was 12. Knows how to use them too.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/Summer/Summer010.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/Summer/Summer005.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/Summer/Summer009.jpg

chris in va
October 29, 2007, 08:59 PM
Having a loaded weapon anywhere a kid or teen can get to it is just plain stupid and child endangerment. No matter how you threaten the kids, they are curious

Sorry, not entirely true. Many times the kid just isn't interested, or gets to shoot it at the range a fair amount and the novelty wears out.

'75Scout
October 29, 2007, 09:52 PM
Not IMO. My father didn't have loaded guns, but the ammo was siiting right next to the guns and I could have loaded them up myself if I had relly wanted. I was into everything as a child and constantly getting into trouble, however my father said that I did have to sneak around to see his guns. he said all I had to do was ask and he would let me see them any time I wanted. But if I played with them without his permission there would be big problems. And I never did. I plan to take a similar route with any children that I might have in the future. Only I want to take them shooting alot more than my fahter did. It wasn't until my teens that I started shooting with my uncle.

As far as the shotgun storage goes I keep my Rem 870 loaded with the tube full and the chamber is empty and saftey off. I keep it dry fired so all I have to do is rack the slide. Simple and easy. My wife's interest in guns is slowly growing and I wanted to keep it simple for her too.

MyGunsJammed
October 29, 2007, 10:20 PM
My advice for home defense is to layer your home defense system....

one, a good fence with barbed wire surrounding your property, some pit bull guard dogs, flood lights, laser sensors, landmines, trap doors, bear traps, and last but not least I'll sleep with my loaded gun underneath my bed, ready to go in case the burglar gets thru all that

curmudgeon1
October 30, 2007, 12:03 AM
Coupla machine gun towers on the perimeter......

Jason607
October 30, 2007, 02:01 AM
Keep it locked up by day, and at night, close your door and lock it. It might prevent them from seeing anything else "damaging". Nothing like catching your mom and dad having latenight wrestling matches under the covers.

DesertDawg
October 30, 2007, 07:42 AM
That Mossberg "Loc Box" looks like a good idea! Instead of mounting it on the wall, it could probably be welded to the steel frame of a bed, and covered with a "dust ruffle".

I bought a surplussed steel shotgun rack several years ago. It's the type that are used to floor mount and secure shotguns in police vehicles, and uses a key to unlock the "push/pull" device. You can lock it without using the key by simply pushing the "push/pull" device down, but you insert the key, twist and pull the device to unlock it. It's bolted to the floorboard of my truck, and covered by a towel.

GATMOG
October 31, 2007, 02:13 PM
the gun cabinet by my bed is open at night so i can reach in and grab my mossy..

mossy is kept 5 in mag, chamber empty, safety off :)

garymb
October 31, 2007, 05:02 PM
The vast majority of break-ins happen during the day, when people are at work and the house is empty. Plus, robbers usually scout out the neighborhood prior to breaking in, to see when people are routinely gone, and which houses will be the easiest to get in and out of w/o encountering 1) the resident 2) an alarm system and/or the police. There have been a number of break ins around my neighborhood lately, and with each one it was during a time that the resident was often gone (including one where the guy worked at night, and the robbery happened at night). This means that you have a higher chance of the intruder finding/stealing an unlocked gun than you do using it against him. Plus, as several of you mentioned, you have kids...even if they are safe with firearms, I doubt their friends are. Why I believe no one has broken into my house despite the high crime rate: I have an old rusted Jeep in the driveway on jack stands (I almost have it working now I swear), an un-mowed lawn, a couple beer bottles by the porch swing, a 4x4 pickup parked next to the Jeep, and it's pretty obvious that a bunch of guys live in the house. When potential robbers walk by, they KNOW a gun lives here, and simply go on to the next house. While I fully understand the desire to have quick access to a firearm to use in self defense, and would really like to, I keep each one of them locked securely in a gun safe. If need be, I have pocket knives near by, a baseball bat in the closet, and have training in martial arts. The only reason I have ever needed to get to my guns at night was when I lived in the countryside and the dogs had cornered a skunk that was making an awful ruckus. And if you still want to keep a gun on hand...when I was a kid my father used to keep a 410 behind his desk that was hidden so well no one would have any idea it was there. Just my 2 cents.

45Marlin carbine
October 31, 2007, 05:42 PM
after I had my Makarov in hand if I had to step outside I would grab my 12 ga. 'coach' SXS or my Marlin Camp .45 w/10 rd mag. I's awful skeered of the dark. I also have 3-d Maglite on headbord shelf.

hogdogs
October 31, 2007, 07:35 PM
Redneck lookin' yard is a deterrent! Ya'll forgot the part about leaving empty rifle brass and shotgun hulls strewn around thick enuff to trip over! I have a 17 year old son and 16 year old daughter... neither has ever done anything with my guns to get themselves or me in to any trouble! I too was raised in a house with loaded guns and shown which single shot 12 was always loaded and ready to defend my sisters if mom and dad were not home to protect us. If you forbid children (and some adults) from something it is like saying "HEY CHECK THIS COOL THING OUT!!!" If you introduce them to the rules of safgety than shooting as a pastime and way of life the odds of children playing with the guns is drastically reduced. My son has bought his own guns since last year as well! I have a mossberg 20 gauge 18 inch barrel loaded most of the time leaning on any ol' wall in my house... some times a shell is in the chamber sometimes not and rarely is it on safety. No one in my house goofs around with guns and EVERYONE living here treats ALL my guns as LOADED!
If my daughter is going to babysit a child I am asked to "childproof" my stuff...
Brent

gopher0
October 31, 2007, 09:59 PM
Why is it out of the Queston
I learnd one thing in the Corps
KISS......

Hang it up high
where the kids cant reach it

Damm !!!

Double Naught Spy
November 1, 2007, 08:09 AM

Not if it's dark and they don't know the layout. Sides they'd never get past the dogs in the yard.

And there is the rub. If they have gotten past your dogs and are in your room, then obviously they have something working in their favor and you are pretty much screwed. How says they don't know the layout of your house?

Not if you teach them right. My daughter is 15 and has owned her own guns since she was 12. Knows how to use them too.

Glad you are teaching your daughter. You might want to take things a step further and teach her proper shooting positions/stance/back alignment.

Gotta love it, a rifle in her hands, a pistol on her hip, and socks on her feet.

Mannlicher
November 1, 2007, 01:09 PM
Train your kids to keep their hands off the gun. That worked for me.