PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Shells

michael word
October 4, 2007, 12:30 AM
I was wondering if the people here use regular shotshells for turkey or if anyone buys the expensive turkey specfic shotshells for hunting and if they have any measurable improvement over the regular shotshells? And would the option of 2 3/4" or 3" change which type you use?

Smitty in CT
October 4, 2007, 09:56 AM
I think its all marketing hype!!

My son shot 20GA Fiocchi "Golden Pheasant" shells for Turkey hunting last season, it's a good thing the Turkeys didn't know.

More important than what they're called is how they perform, I like Federal #6 3" Mag-Shok lead with flight control, they are 1150 fps and give me the tightest, evenly spread pattern at 40 yards.

The key to finding what works best is patterning the shells with the gun / choke combo you plan on hunting with. I my particular gun, I get better patterns with a little slower 3" shell than I do with the 3-1/2" "Turkey Load", so that's what I use... plus those 3-1/2" shells HURT too much!!

crowbeaner
October 4, 2007, 04:57 PM
I load mine with 1 3/8 oz. of copper plated #5 Lawrence shot in a Fed. GM 2 3/4 hull. WW 209, WAA12R wad, 34.0 of IMR SR 4756. Right out of the IMR/DuPont handbook. Beats the heck out of what they are charging for similar stuff at Gander Mtn. Try the same load with unplated Lawrence Magnum shot in #4 if your gun doesn't pattern well with #5s. Enjoy. CB.

HDTVSELLER
October 6, 2007, 06:20 PM
well i am alittle crazy but i use well it alittle over kill but it was given to me as a gift. so i use Supreme® Double-X® Magnum and High Velocity Turkey Load
Gauge: 12
Shell Length: 3-1/2
Velocity (in.): 1150
Powder Dram Equiv: MAX
Shot Size: 6
with 2 1/4 oz
in a benelli super nova.. and i havent ever tried anything else .. i guess i just like the look of the massive shell ..