PDA

View Full Version : ammo durability question...

teriyakisaki
October 2, 2007, 01:18 AM
...so usually when i go shooting, i pick up whatevers cheap and decent when it comes to ammo i could use (basically to stock pile). well since its mostly super walmarts, the ammo comes with some grocerys. long story short, i didn't notice the bag in the back of the truck until today, and was suprised it hadn't flown away. i open it up to see a full box (10 shells) of Federal Ultra Shock 12ga Rifled slugs (2 3/4", it says "magnum" on the box, but i didnt know they made a 2 3/4 mag). this wouldnt be THAT big of a deal if it didn't lightly rain/snow off and on for the last week or so, but it did. i pulled the box out and it was soaking wet, but the shells look unharmed (and were dry to the touch). they were wrapped in a white plastic bag and were in the box, so im not really worried about UV rays, mostly just the water. should i just toss these things, or if i was to load them, how badly (if at all) would it affect my 590?

DWARREN123
October 2, 2007, 02:32 AM
With modern ammo it should be okay to shoot, Don't want to store them that way for long.

SpectreBlofeld
October 3, 2007, 03:03 AM
If water did seep into a shell, the worst I would expect to happen is that it just wouldn't fire. Watch out for delayed hangfires, is all.

BigJimP
October 3, 2007, 10:49 AM
with modern plastic hulls I wouldn't worry too much about it - especially since you said they were dry to the touch. I'd testfire one just to make sure it performs the way it should - and if you have any doubt cut them open and toss them out.