PDA

View Full Version : remington 1100

Daniel BOON
September 28, 2007, 09:38 PM
I'm considering buying a used mdl 1100; do these shotguns have any problems of jamming or parts breaking? any input is appreciated.

ebutler462
September 28, 2007, 10:04 PM
It is one of the better gas guns and has a great reputation. Trust it. I think it will give you a lifetime of service with minimal care. Many hundreds of thousand of these 1100s are serving the shooting public quite well and have been for around 40 years or so. To mean mouth a 1100 is a sacrilige. It holds a sacred spot in many homes, gun ranges, and hunting clubs.

It is a very favorite shotgun that has given great service.

JWT
September 28, 2007, 11:56 PM
The 1100 is a very solid gun. See quite a few of them being used as trap guns by some excellent shooters. Very reliable gas gun with well deserved good reputation.

Need to keep them clean to have them function properly, especially if shooting lots of rounds (trap, sporting clays, etc.). Not difficult to strip for cleaning or to put back together.

ghettoestl
September 29, 2007, 12:51 AM
It is one of the better gas guns and has a great reputation. Trust it. I think it will give you a lifetime of service with minimal care. Many hundreds of thousand of these 1100s are serving the shooting public quite well and have been for around 40 years or so. To mean mouth a 1100 is a sacrilige. It holds a sacred spot in many homes, gun ranges, and hunting clubs.

It is a very favorite shotgun that has given great service.

I concur!

hoytinak
September 29, 2007, 02:06 AM
I've got a Classic Trap 1100 that I use for trap and hunting and it fills both rolls perfect for me. The only problem I've ever with it over many rounds was my own fault. I used too much oil to lube it on a hunt and it kept jamming up on me. Took it apart wiped the excess oil off and it worked great after that. Just keep it clean and lightly oiled and it'll last a lifetime.

jrfoxx
September 29, 2007, 04:50 AM
I have my dad's 1100 12 ga, and we've both put TONS of shells hru it back n the day shooing skeet and trap all dy long ever weekend.I honestly don't recall either of us having an trouble with it at all. Nice gun. Only thing I've ever heard of was someone getting an older used one that sat round a long time without any oil and the seal had dry rotted and needed to be replaced, but thats it.

b.thomas
September 29, 2007, 07:09 AM
My nephew has his grandfathers (my dad) 1100 from the early '70's, darn thing still pluggin' along on the original "O" ring. I've had a 1187 skeet gun for the last seventeen years, same thing.......just keep em clean and they last forever!:D:cool:

ebutler462
September 29, 2007, 09:53 AM
If you buy this gun, get a local hardware to get you a couple of Viton #2-021 O-rings for spares. Cost less than a dollar. Keep them in your kit while shooting. Some of these guns go forever without burning throughan O-ring. Others every year or so. These are the same rings that gunsmiths sell for $5.00 apeice. Be sure they are Viton #2-021, not the regular plumbers O-ring. I bought a half dozen for my hunting club for less tha $3.00.

The only problem you should have is replacing an O-ring every decade or two.

Daniel BOON
September 29, 2007, 01:43 PM
I have heard the only good things about these shotguns; thanks to all of you, I appreciate it.
the gun shop owner did tell me the gas rings sometimes dry rot, but its easily fixed. thanks again. DB

ebutler462
September 29, 2007, 02:45 PM
FWIW, some of the 1100s will function without the O-ring. Their tolerances are that close. I don't want to take that chance, though. Not for a .35 cent O-ring.

Shell Shucker
October 1, 2007, 08:24 PM
1100's are great guns (at least the old ones)! They are reliable but may need to be run a little "cleaner and wetter" than some others. They are easy to clean. I like the way they point. They seem to have less recoil than most other autos.
I have never needed to replace an O-ring. I recently bought a spare from Brownell's and it was closer to $5 than 35 cents....... wish I'd read this post first!
I recently bought an old standard weight 20 ga (12 ga frame) to shoot skeet with. I'm very happy with it. It grinds target with MINIMAL recoil. It is 100% reliable up to @400 rounds with minimal cleaning, then it drops to around 98% and needs to be stripped. Not a bad trade off for it's low recoil with $3 a box (on sale, bought 12 cases) shells. Did I mention that it GRINDS targets?

Ruger4570
October 1, 2007, 09:11 PM
You will really never go wrong with an 1100. It is also true, they will in fact work without the gas ring, but as posted, they are so cheap there is no reason to do that.

dchi
October 1, 2007, 11:51 PM
Like the others said, some new o rings, seal and new spring is all the'll every need. about $20 for all three keep you going for 20 years. Me any my bud have 4 between us. 2 are 20 years old. had some problems in one, the mag spring rusted so bad that it broke in the tube. Change all 3 parts above, working great now. That gun gave good service for 10 years of heavy use. Side note if you chop one down for a home protection gun, they will not aways shoot every ammo. The gas port and barrel length was designed for birdshot a factory length barrel. The HD models I think are set up for magnum buckshot.:)

GuateShooter
October 23, 2007, 03:45 PM
Remington its ..... Remington !!!

ebutler462
October 23, 2007, 06:49 PM
The o-ring number for the 20 gauge is viton #19. Do not use buna or plumber's rubber. Make sure it is made of viton rubber. You can get a dozen for a couple of bucks. As stated earlier, the number for the 12 gauge is #21. Same thing the company sells for 4-5.00 each.

TheShootist1894
October 23, 2007, 09:48 PM
The 1100 is TOP SHELF!
I love mine, and with minimal cleaning and maintance is has yet to fail me. . .
I actually have two listed for sale on Gunbroker, I would keep them but I don't NEED 3 1100 12 Gauges,
I will go out on a limb here and say it is the BEST Value in autoloading hunting shotguns:D

nutty ned
October 25, 2007, 09:19 PM
Extractors, firing pin springs, action bar sleeve, feed latch, piston, piston seal,
barrel seal[o-ring] all break and can be easily replaced do it yourself. I've had it all happen.
However, mine is still going strong.

Brad Clodfelter
October 25, 2007, 09:55 PM
These are one of the best automatic shotguns ever made especially for the money. I'm pretty certain they were the most popular and best selling as well. I have a Rem 1100 that I bought back in 1984. I still have it. It works flawlessly. I think it has hung 2 shells from not ejecting properly in all the 1000's upon 1000's of rounds I have shot through it. One was probably a bad condition older hull that I reloaded and probably should have pitched. But the gun will shoot light, and I do mean light loads, and spit them out easily. A lot of autos won't do this. I used to do a lot of dove hunting with mine. It's still my favorite shotgun even though I don't hardly ever use it much anymore. The gun shoots perfectly centered patterns to what your aiming at. I never ever had to fix anything on the gun.

Brad