PDA

View Full Version : Browning BPS Advice ?

Gigas-VII
September 24, 2007, 09:26 AM
I recently purchased a Browning BPS. I absolutely love the feel of the weapon, especially the smoothness of the action. I have used it mostly for shooting trap so far, but I intend it to be a general purpose shotgun in the long run.

I'm looking for some advice, though. The barrel included with my BPS was a 26" field barrel, not exactly the best choice for trap. I've currently installed a Modified choke (Invector Plus with 3 notches), and patterned it. The shot hits in a solid distribution about the center of where I am. I'm told that for trap, one generally wants the pattern to be a bit high.

If I would like to improve this weapon for trap purposes, what should I replace? I've considered getting a new choke or two to try, particularly a "skeet" choke, though I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. Alternatively, I could replace the barrel, but Browning barrels are notoriously expensive.

Eventually, I intend to get a roughly 20" unrifled barrel with rifle sights, and another one rifled with a scope mount. Sadly, each of these barrels is almost the cost of weapon in the first place.

Smitty in CT
September 24, 2007, 10:11 AM
First off, congrats on the new gun, the BPS is a great shotgun.

The "easiest" way to get the gun to shoot high would be to add a cheek pad to the comb of the stock. There are a number of aftermarket ones, from the neoprene stick-on pads to the leather lace-up models. These can later be removed for general purpose hunting.

As far as barrel length, keep practicing with the 26" and you will get used to the "swing of it", or lack there of. If you feel you need additional length Hastings sells "long" extended choke tubes that can add quite a bit of length and weight to your barrel. Generally speaking you don't want to open up your chokes fro trap, as the target tend to be shot farther distances and going away from you...

Gigas-VII
September 24, 2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks. I'm very happy with it.

I've always been told not to aim a shotgun, but I can't help but try to line the bead up with where I want my shot to go. I feel like I'd have a harder time doing that with a higher cheekrest.

I think practicing with it will help a lot. Oddly, I'm great with it in the handthrow environment. It is only real Trap from a mechanical launcher where I have trouble.

williamd
September 25, 2007, 12:23 AM
Don't Shoot In Shower Shoes.

Leif
September 25, 2007, 10:37 PM
I use my 28" barrel BPS for trap .. works well enough for my skill level (not that I'm saying much about my skill level). :o

I believe 30" barrels are available as well. BPS is a fine shotgun, though - congratulations!

BigJimP
September 26, 2007, 02:30 PM
It's a nice gun ( I have a couple of older ones in 12 & 20 ) - the standard field barrel used to be 28" ... but I wouldn't fuss with the barrel you have on there. The only reason to change barrels would be to increase the length of your sight plane - but a 26" barrel on a pump gun is the same overall length (butt pad - to end of barrel ) as a 28" over under.

That gun should shoot a 50/50 pattern - so when you shoot trap, skeet or sporting - just cover the bird, keep the gun moving, and your fine. Yes, most of us do want our trap guns to shoot high like a 70/30 or 60/40 pattern because in trap you're shooting a rising bird and we float the barrel above the rib vs covering the bird. But if you like to shoot all 3 games - and you don't want to float the bird for trap / go back to skeet where you don't want to shoot high - just shoot the one gun for all the games. The BPS is a very good and versatile gun - even if you go to a true trap gun like the Browning XT or BT99 don't sell that pump gun or you'll be sad someday. I've kept mine ......even though other guns have come and gone .....they're all still there too. By the way a Modified choke is perfect for 16 yard trap ( even out to 20 yards ) beyond 20 yards go to an Imp Mod or Full. For trap I like a 1oz shell, 8's at about 1225 fps. It's a good versatile load.