PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca M37 or Winchester Defender?

Kermit
September 21, 2007, 11:44 PM
I have a Defender but recently shot a M37 that was just soooo smooth that it's go me thinking....hmmm...Plus, since I shoot lefty, the bottom eject of the Ithaca is kinda nice too....
I have seen alot of M37's as police trade ins and I could probably sell off my Winchester for about enough so I'm not out of pocket in the whole thing...but is it worth it?
TIA

RedneckFur
September 21, 2007, 11:49 PM
I grew up hunting with an Ithaca 37 in 20ga. Smooth, sweet handling little shotgun. I personally love the bottom eject too.

I've got my eye out for one in 12ga now. I prefer them to Remington shotguns (and around here, that seems to be a curse word) But I think if you keep your eyes peeled for one in good condition, you'll have a freind for life.

jrothWA
September 22, 2007, 01:14 AM
YES!!!

As a southpaw you can get a aftermarket safety for your operation.

Keep the Winchester too.

lockedcj7
September 22, 2007, 07:21 AM
The older Ithacas were great guns. My hunting buddy growing up had a lightweight 20ga. which was a near-perfect upland bird gun. I'd love to have one myself if I see one for a decent price. They've changed hands a few time and undergone some corporate re-structuring. As such, quality control has varied widely over the last few years. I handled a recent example and it was pretty rough.

Dave McC
September 22, 2007, 12:54 PM
The Winchester's a darn good shotgun.

So's the Ithaca.

37s are my second favorite pump and the Winchester's the third with no large gap between.

Either, with a modicum of TLC and PM, will last generations and perform a variety of missions.

If you only want one, get the one that feels best.

But, there's no Tablet Of Stone in The Temple Of The Shotgun Gods saying. that "Thou shalt love only one brand"....