PDA

View Full Version : Which to buy.

ljhj
September 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
Here in Central Alabama, Academy is running a sale for Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 at the same price, $199. They seem to be base models. The 500 has synthetic stocks and the 870 wood. Both are advertised as holding three 2-3" shells. I am wanting a sg for home defense, and thought one of these would be a good starting point for adding things on later. The only things I want to add on are and extended 7 shot tube, full pistol grip shoulder stock and a flashlight. Some of the local gun shops have guns set up like that, but they cost in the $400-500 range. Should I by one of the base guns and add things on, or just buy a fully kitted gun off the shelf? Which, of the 500 or 870, is easier to modify for someone with "handy man" skills?

perazzimx14
September 20, 2007, 06:15 PM
A "kitted up" gun may be cheaper in the long run. The only way to tell is search the net and see what add on's you want and what they are going to cost. Also if you are not comfortably installing parts on your gun add in gunsmith costs.

As far as the two guns you are looking at I personally lean towards the 870.

T-Ray
September 20, 2007, 08:24 PM
like i said, mossberg vs. remington is ford vs. chevy. there is no clear winner. some tests like the 870, while others like the 500. if you want to replace the stock you might just want to go ahead and get one with the stock you want. also, take in mind that the 500 has an ambidexterous safety while the 870 has two different modes: right and left handed. for your case, you might want to look at police or home defense models- they will have your style stock and some other upgrades already on them which might be cheaper than souping up one of the above guns