PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 311A bulge

rguest
September 20, 2007, 12:34 PM
I just had a Stevens Model 311A double barrell shotgun passed down to me from my father who is just turning 80. I noticed that about one inch down the left barrell or the choke barrell, a bulge. Is that something that this shotgun was manufactured with or has it been fired with something that caused the barrell to expand? It seems to be smooth on the inside.

ebutler462
September 21, 2007, 08:55 AM
Normally a gunsmith can repait this bulge. I would have it looked at by one before I shot it. They put a mandrel in the barrel and hammer it out. Then you can't tell it was there. For safety reasons, have it checked out by a gunsmith.

rguest
September 21, 2007, 12:00 PM
Thank You for the reply. I inspected the bulge closer and by looking in from the top I can see where it is forced towards the outside. I recall years ago when my father fired a couple of copper cased large buck shot 3" shells from the gun and I suspect that didn't help, especially when it only calls for 2 3/4. I will take your advice and get it professionally checked. I was hopeing to use it this weeken Partridge hunting.

BigJimP
September 21, 2007, 02:31 PM
Don't fire the gun until it's inspected by a competent gunsmith - that bulge might be a weakness in the barrel because of an obstruction or firing a shell that didn't fit the gun. Hopefully it's only cosmetic - but I wouldn't risk it.