PDA

View Full Version : Iver Johnson 16 ga double-barrel hercules grade

HDTVSELLER
September 20, 2007, 11:46 AM
i have this shotgun in great shape and was my great grandfathers gun. im just looking into how old it is and some info on it. i have some great stories that go with the gun and just wanted to know alittle more about it. like worth and maybe a few parts to fix the stock. i plan on keeping it to pass on to my kids and their kids. if anyone could help i would be very thankfull. thanks

it is blued with i belive walnut stock and some great art on the receiver. thanks

johnbt
September 20, 2007, 01:45 PM
"According to my records the Hercules Grade Iver Johnson was made in 12, 16, 20, 28, or .410 ga, is a double barrel 26-32" barrels, hammerless, boxlock with various chokes, extractors and double triggers were standard. Checkered pistol grip or straight stock. It was Mfg's from 1918-1943."
- Harley Nolden

I found another site that said they dropped the Hercules name in the late 1930s.

I was going to say $100 or $200, but I did a little web surfing and found asking prices of $400 to $600. Of course, those are asking prices.

And this one: www.gunsamerica.com/976901305/Guns/Shotguns/Iver-Johnson-Shotguns/Iver_johnson_hercules_grade_410.htm

A .410, as new (with a little crack), asking $900.

John

HDTVSELLER
September 20, 2007, 06:28 PM
do you know a site or a place where i can trace the numbers of the gun to find out dates or places and to maybe a place where i caould check on parts for one

johnbt
September 20, 2007, 07:47 PM
I don't offhand, but I'll start looking sometime tomorrow when I return from Charlottesville.

The Blue Book, now that I'm back at home briefly, says the Hercules name was dropped in 1936 and the model was then called the Hammerless.

Add $200 for auto ejectors.
Add $200 for Miller single selective trigger.
Add 10% for 16 ga.
Add 200% for rare factory engraved specimens.

johnbt
September 20, 2007, 07:59 PM
Places to try for parts:

www.jackfirstgun.com/catalog-gtoi.html

www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=126

I don't recall ever having seen a list of Iver Johnson serial numbers.

John

HDTVSELLER
September 22, 2007, 04:49 PM
thank you man it has auto ejectors, engravings, a double trigger. maybe i can get a pic on here . and thanks for the site links