PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of a Marlin 550,12gauge Goose Gun?

Mr.XD9mm
September 14, 2007, 05:15 AM
I just recently recieved a new gun from my father in law and it is a bolt action Marlin model 550 in 12gauge. I have looked on the internet for information on this shotgun , but haven't found anything on it.

Wanted to know if anyone on here has one or knew anything about this gun.
The only thing I found about it once was that it was refered to as a goose gun and that Marlin does not make them anymore. Anyone know how old this shotgun is, the gun is in really good shape.:cool:

SpookBoy
September 14, 2007, 05:19 AM
my buddy has one a 3 1'2 in. if memory serves,i believe production started in the 60's.reliable,sturdy and can reach about 60 or so yards for those high flying geese or low flying buzzards!:D

Gbro
September 14, 2007, 06:09 AM
Ya they are usually in realy good shape just like mine. As it just seems to stay home in favor of the 870.
Pain to reload, hard to find case to fit.
Dadburn good jack handle!

Black Fly
September 14, 2007, 09:52 AM
Killed my first goose with one. It had the really long 36 inch barrel. That was back when steel first came out. I borrowed it from my brother in law. It pointed nice and that long barrel kept me from stopping my swing, something that has plagued me forever. It's not slick, it's not fancy, it's a lot slower than a pump or semi, but it was a lot of fun, it will get comments from other hunters. Have fun with it.
Bfly

45Marlin carbine
September 14, 2007, 09:56 AM
a buddy has one, I've never seen him shoot it. long barrel thing. bolt action.

Mr.XD9mm
September 16, 2007, 12:26 AM
I haven't shot it yet but it has a box clip that has 2 shells and bolt action.
The shell size isn't stamped on the barrel but 2 3/4 shells just fit inside the clip, and chamber easily inside and eject like they should. I don't think 3 inches would fit. What kind of results do you think using Remington Heavy Dove Shur Shot would result in? The round like I said is 12gauge length is 2 3/4, velocity says 1255FPS, it has 1 1/8oz shot, and is a #6shot.

What kind of results would this produce pattern wise if fired at your normal doves or someone breaking into the house being 10-15feet away??

Bill DeShivs
September 16, 2007, 01:06 AM
I cut one off to 18" once. An ATF agent came in my shop and picked up the remaining barrel with a very inquisitive look. I Said, "It's from a Marlin goose gun!" He laid it down, and said, "Right answer."

Hardtarget
September 17, 2007, 11:01 PM
Mine is not 36" but same type of gun. You need to pattern the gun to see how it shoots different loads. Mine is full choke like most others I've seen. Its a good serviceable gun, good for squirril...a little tight for rabbit. Think of it as a single shot and "shoot like you mean it".Those were my Grandfathers words. Don't waste ammo, kill on the first shot. My friend hunted everything with his but he had a poly choke mounted and could set it to suit the need.

I think I've been rambling...sorry.

Mark.

longboard
September 18, 2007, 08:26 AM
A friend of mine had one in high school and we made fun of it, Idiots:rolleyes: I wish I had one like it now.
I think a bolt action shotgun has a cool factor all it's own.:cool:
It had a polly choke too.
Longboard

Mr.XD9mm
September 20, 2007, 09:09 PM
Realized that my eyes must be getting older and actually this shotgun is a Marlin 55G, chambered in 12gauge when I looked closed while cleaning it.
I haven't shot it yet and I am unsure the chamber of shells however I believe it is 2 3/4" because they fit perfectly in the box magazine. However no where on the barrel is it stamped like all other shotguns.

What are your views on this type of shotgun mine is unchanged from the day that it was born. Hardly ever shot and still has the original plastic butt. No recoil pad ever installed just a thin layer of plastic and then wood!

westerly
September 23, 2007, 12:41 AM
He He

Just got one from my mother-in-law.. Was my wifes late fathers. It is a model 55, perfect condition. Bolt action with a 2 or 3 shot clip, which is broken. Which reminds me if anyone knows where to get one let me know. Does specify 3 inch chamber. 36' barrel. I think it is full choke, which I may need to do something with, because I have to use steel shot in my state for ducks and geese, and steel shot does not work well with full choke from what I hear. I will take it out and try it sometime, although I have a feeling it is gonna be cumbersome compared to my trusty 870. Who knows though. It might become my favorite gun. :) Any response on the steel shot thing? Is this a myth or fact. I have never tryed anything but mod choke since the steel shot law started way back when.
Thanks!

M14fan
September 23, 2007, 12:44 AM
Does yours have the Polychoke?
My dad had one when I was a kid. It was so long I thought it needed wheels. Shot great though.

roy reali
September 23, 2007, 01:01 AM
Too bad they don't make goose guns with 45 inch barrels. Then you could get those pesky geese at one hundred yards.

Crow61
September 30, 2007, 05:41 PM
They also had a 10 guage version called the Super Goose 10 or something like that. I used to look through the catalogs and long for one. By the way, for you younger guys, a catalog was an old timey thing that was printed on paper and came in the mail. This was long before the internet:D!