PDA

View Full Version : Browning o/u Citori? want one have questions

big_dekalb
September 8, 2007, 07:25 PM
Hello

I have wanted a Browning o/u for as long as I can remember. I have looked at Citori, Lightning, Cynergy etc.

I mostly shoot skeets and about 1 or 2 times per year I will go on a big bird hunt trip, quail, pheasant

what type of gun do I need, this is not going to be a gun that will sit in the gun case I want a very nice FIELD gun, I need to know barrell length? right now I use a Remington 1100 and I have 2 barrells a 30" and a short one dont know the length but it is good for quail.

I am more concerned that I buy the right gun than a certain budget in mind but I really dont think I should spend more than about 1000-1200 for this gun.

Can anybody give me a hand that know about these guns I do not know anything about them, except they are beautiful and they feel nice in my hands

Kyle

LHB1
September 8, 2007, 08:13 PM
Kyle,
I have owned and used Citori O/U shotguns for many years (~30?). Uses include skeet and upland bird hunting (quail & doves). My current pair include a Grade VI Lightning 20 ga w/26" barrels and a Grade III Lightning 12 ga w/28" barrels. Both came with Invector choke tubes. I now use Briley choke tubes in the 20 for greater variety of chokes. The 26" barrels swing quicker while the 28" barrels swing a little smoother due to slightly more length and weight out front. Have never had a problem with any of my Citori O/U's. Most people seem to prefer 12 ga but the smaller 20 ga with 1oz shot loads is by far my favorite. Good luck with your choice.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

big_dekalb
September 8, 2007, 08:43 PM
Thank you for your reply

any good ideas of places to find a good used one, as far as an online purchase, or could you give me an idea of what you are talking about when you say a grade III of a VI? and also about the price points in the used market

Kyle

LHB1
September 8, 2007, 10:37 PM
Kyle,
I bought all of my guns (except Wilson 1911's) at local gunshops. Search with Yahoo or Google on the internet for Browning Citori and you probably will find a number of places that sell them. Or perhaps other posters can refer you to some good dealers. Grade I is standard field/hunting grade. Grade III has better wood, silver or blue finish, and more engraving on the receiver. Grade VI has superb wood, silver finish, lots of engraving, and even gold inlays (which I could do without if given a choice). Internal features/parts of all three grades are the same. Differences are cosmetic. Look at the Browning website for more info and pics of the various Citori models:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=008B&cat_id=013&type_id=129

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=008B&cat_id=013&type_id=229

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=008B&cat_id=013&type_id=308

I see they have renamed the Grades III and VI to Grades IV and VII respectively.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

BigV
September 9, 2007, 07:38 AM
Hello

I have wanted a Browning o/u for as long as I can remember. I have looked at Citori, Lightning, Cynergy etc.

I mostly shoot skeets and about 1 or 2 times per year I will go on a big bird hunt trip, quail, pheasant

what type of gun do I need, this is not going to be a gun that will sit in the gun case I want a very nice FIELD gun, I need to know barrell length? right now I use a Remington 1100 and I have 2 barrells a 30" and a short one dont know the length but it is good for quail.

I am more concerned that I buy the right gun than a certain budget in mind but I really dont think I should spend more than about 1000-1200 for this gun.

Can anybody give me a hand that know about these guns I do not know anything about them, except they are beautiful and they feel nice in my hands

Kyle

Kyle,
You can’t co wrong with a Browning O/U. I have had a Citori for over 25 years and it shoots better every time I take it out. It is an excellent skeet, trap or sporting clays gun and as far as a bird gun, it would be hard to beat. My Browning has a 28” barrel, but some folks like the feel and swing of a 26”. It’s all in what you like. Go for the Browning, It will last a lifetime!!

auto45
September 9, 2007, 07:53 AM

I'd look for a used sporting 325/425 in 28" or 30" barrels.
Even older models like the GTI would be good.

jaymce
September 9, 2007, 04:49 PM
Try CDNN they had some Citori shotguns in there last catalogue. Better yet give them a call and ask as they do not advertise all the guns they have.

ScottFrench
September 15, 2007, 10:08 PM
www.sportingarms.com
www.budsgunshop.com
www.gunbroker.com