PDA

View Full Version : What to Buy First Duck/ Goose Gun

superfast61821
September 8, 2007, 09:56 AM
I am trying to decide between three different shotguns to use for duck and geese this year. Here are what i'm looking at and why i can't decide please help.

Stoeger 2000-- Pros Inertia-driven nice lines like benelli and purty.
cons only available in 2 3/4 & 3"

Mossberg 935 Magnum Turkey waterfowl combo.-
Pros: Brand I am familiar with great Customer Service and it shoots 3 1/2" shells
Cons: I have never owned a mossberg semi auto and haven't seen any reviews on it yet.

Remington 11-87 super Magnum.- Pros 3 1/2" That's about all i can think off never owned or shot any remmys.
Cons: A bit more epensive.

Please let me know your experiences and reccomendations. Is it going to be neccesary to go with the magnums for Illinois duck and goose? Thanks.

Full-choke
September 8, 2007, 10:08 AM
Okay, so I'm not a seasoned waterfowler, but these are my thoughts. I too am starting out, I purchased a Franchi I-12 from my local dealer. Very, very, very nice shotgun...I've been super impressed with it. It is Inertia driven, rather then the gas operated 11-87. That provides a huge improvment for inclement weather where the gas system could get gummy on you. The Stoeger 2000 is a nice gun, but I was told to save the money and get a Franchi if I wanted to get a semi-auto made by the Benelli. I'm super glad that I did. I don't know much about the Mossberg, but I don't think you could go wrong with it. They are nice shotguns and like you said, they have excellent customer service.

Full-choke

lockedcj7
September 8, 2007, 08:02 PM
I've been hunting ducks and geese so long, I remember using lead if that tells you anything. 3" is all you ever need. Even the guys I know who have 3.5" capability in SBEs and 835s don't use them. They all use 3" like me. That said, I have an 11-87 SPS that's my meat-gun so I would whole-heartedly recommend it.

Diesel1
September 8, 2007, 08:18 PM
A friend of mine asked me a similar question several years back, he wanted a new semi auto shotgun. His friends all carried semi auto shotguns so he wanted one and bought a new Mossberg. It was about -5 degrees below zero when the first duck flew over, he pulled the trigger and nothing happened, his action froze. Although this isn't an indication of all semi auto's, or Mossbergs even, I thought it was pretty funny and razzed him about it for a few years. Meanwhile my Remington 870 took down several that frigid morning. I have never used 3 1/2 inch shells, I really don't think you need to go bigger than 3 inch magnums; but then again I'm not shooting at 60 yard geese either.

superfast61821
September 9, 2007, 07:27 PM
I put 100 rounds through it and 25 3" magnums I really liked alot of things about it and only a few things i didn't like.
The recoil felt in the butt is okay but that which is transfered into my check is another story.
Proposed solution is a padded check rest.
I guess it's as accurate as a scattergun can be as I broke several clays.
but one thing that confused me was the chokes none are marked specifically for steel. But then again none state specifically lead either so i don't no. One of the tubes feels really tight like it's a FULL but whats strange about it is that it extends past the muzzle and is thick as can be.

Another weird thing was when i removed th IC choke that i was shooting the steel through the outside of the tube had metal chips on it that resembled what comes off when a blacksmith strikes hot metal.

I guess my bigges complaints are...
Recoil to the cheek
and getting my finger nail or thumb nail pinched while inserting rounds into the magazine.

intruder
September 9, 2007, 07:37 PM
Find yourself a used ithcha or later remmigton 10 gauge auto

Scoupe
September 10, 2007, 12:05 PM
Thick choke = Full. Thicker walls for more constriction. Extended a touch for that extra bit of choke? Improperly threaded? Wrong tube included in package? IS it visibly longer than the others? When installed does the barrel end seat fully? If it seats, don't sweat it.

"Chips" Unburnt powder possibly. I'm not a blacksmith and haven't seen what you're describing.

Cheek slap. You're lifting your head and those are stout loads. OR, the stock doesn't fit you well. Raising the comb with a stick on pad could help either issue.

I probably wouldn't put steel through the chokes not marked for it, but you can put lead down anything.

Hope you bring down lots of ducks with that new gun.

Jack_Bauer24
September 10, 2007, 12:35 PM
If your going duck or goose hunting why mess around by a Benelli. I have a Browning A5, Benelli Super Black Eagle II and have had a Remington 870 and the Benelli will smoke anything out there. You can't mess with perfection.

Smitty in CT
September 10, 2007, 01:21 PM
Of your choices, the Mossberg 935 is the only one that you list as a "combo", meaning it comes with TWO barrels, a shorter one for Turkey and a longer one for waterfowling...

I have the 930, basically a 3" version of the 935, I have had no problems whatsoever. You can buy a "more expensive" gun, but I doubt you will find one that has more value!! (quality, reliability, etc.)

Brad Clodfelter
September 10, 2007, 07:55 PM
I would bet money that the Mossberg 935 will shoot the larger size steel shot with denser patterns. I'm guessing the 935 to have the same exact .775 backbore barrel as the their 835 barrel. That's what I would buy. I like Remington 1100 and 11-87 shotguns, but I can tell you that when shooting size #4 shot or larger in lead loads, the Mossberg 835 will smoke the Remingtons. That's shooting and testing at 25, 30, 40, and 50yds with these guns to see the difference for myself in making that statement.

Brad