PDA

View Full Version : Marine Magnum or 870P

Glk17
September 7, 2007, 10:00 PM
I have both, a Remington Marine Magnum and a Remington Police Magnum 870P. Both are new but one is going to go. I really like the finish on the Marine Magnum but I know the 870P is a better quality shotgun. What should I do? Which one would you keep and why?

spoolup
September 7, 2007, 10:20 PM
Which one suits you better? When making a choice for you, make it. However for general input. Are both stock? Have both been broken in fired enough to know that it does not have a issue? If yes on both, I say the police should stay. The marine is a like the lancer, where as the police is the evolution (yes I like Mitsubishi's), Nothing wrong with either, but one is built ona more stringent assy line by only choosen employees, with no corners (well fewer I guess) cut.

But it really should be your choice, nothing is going to suck more than being 10 years down the line and saying, dam I should have kept this one instead.

SCREAMIII2006
September 8, 2007, 01:09 AM
Sell both and get a Mossberg:D

Glk17
September 9, 2007, 11:37 AM
Mossberg:eek:.....out of the question. Why settle for second best?.... when I can have a Remington.:cool:

Both the MM and the 870P are stock. My primary use is for HD and I have shot both equally. I haven't found any real differences in performance for either model when shooting at short distances. The 870P has a 20" barrel and rifle sights and the MM has the 18" barrel and a bead. I do like the 18" barrel on the MM better because it is easier to move with in the house.

Unregistered
September 9, 2007, 12:53 PM
No way would I consider a Mossberg over a Remington. The Remingtons are slicker, have the safety in the right place, and assemble a little easier.

random_alias
September 9, 2007, 01:10 PM
Although I don't have a Police I do have a MM. The MM is as good a shotgun inside and out as I would want. The Police may be made even better. I know they have a reputation for being.

Is the heavier barrel and spring on the Police really an improvement over the MM for what you are using the gun for? That's a question only you can answer.

Which gun is better outfitted for HD use in your opinion? If that's your intended use then that should probably be your most important question.

My point is, either gun is going to be good enough to last your family for generations. It isn't like the MM is crap and the Police is "build right". If you like the finish on the MM better, keep the MM. They are both very solidly built pump actions and if you've run enough shells through them to check reliability then you can't go wrong, no matter which one you choose to keep.

Creature
September 9, 2007, 01:24 PM
I will take the 9-shot 590A1 over an 870 anyday.

Desert01
September 10, 2007, 08:17 AM
No way would I consider a Mossberg over a Remington. The Remingtons are slicker, have the safety in the right place, and assemble a little easier.

Unless of course you are a lefty and then you have to send your Rem off to the custom shop to "fix" the safety:(

Creature
September 10, 2007, 01:59 PM

Unless of course you are a lefty and then you have to send your Rem off to the custom shop to "fix" the safety

Yup! ;)

RsqVet
September 10, 2007, 07:22 PM
870P +/- a trip to Hans Vang for his barrel work, +/- a coating of your choice over top the parkerizing if you are really worried about rust...

SCREAMIII2006
September 13, 2007, 05:34 PM
Mossberg 590 in marinecote and no trip anywhere for barrels = more money for ammo!

Uh,safty in the right place? Well if you have only shot rems then I guess that would be your opinion.
I own and shoot both.
Safty is right where it belongs,the pump release is easier to reach, and holds more ammo.

SpectreBlofeld
September 13, 2007, 06:37 PM
Only tangentially related to the thread, but I just LOVE the idea of Mossberg's Just In Case series from a marketing standpoint:

http://spectreblofeld.googlepages.com/52340.jpg
the Mariner...

How cool is that? Perfect for stowing on a boat! And it comes with a knife and multitool! Just toss some bags of shells in there...

Their JIC Cruiser comes with a survival kit.

Magnum.35744
September 13, 2007, 07:38 PM
Very neat! Got a link I could find more information on it? Thanks.
-Tre

RevolverLover
September 13, 2007, 08:47 PM
Got a link I could find more information on it? Thanks.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28&section=products

Glk17
September 16, 2007, 09:09 PM
Is the heavier barrel and spring on the Police really an improvement over the MM for what you are using the gun for? That's a question only you can answer. Which gun is better outfitted for HD use in your opinion?
The heavier barrel and springs on the 870P are not an concern for me. I will be using this shotgun for HD and a little fun shooting at the range. I have decided to keep the MM. I really like the low maintenance finish on the MM and the 18" barrel provides easier manoeuvrability in the house. Thanks for the help........I had no problem selling the 870P.:)

pazzo
September 19, 2007, 09:12 PM
w/out a doubt, you should stick w/ the Police. you might not regret it now if you choose the MM, but you will later. especially if it's the nickel plated model...;)