PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to shoot a shotgun with the choke tube out.

drewmohl
September 6, 2007, 11:34 PM
I have a remington 870 with a .:MOD:. choke in it.....is it ok to take it out and and fire the gun with out a choke in it.

TexIndian
September 6, 2007, 11:48 PM
Basically, no. That will damage your threads and you'll be in for a repair job if you ever want to use chokes again. That should be covered in bold type in your owner's manual.

b.thomas
September 7, 2007, 04:24 AM
A couple of times?..............probably not but allot then yes.
Remington factory chokes are only about $15-20 bucks a shot so why take a chance of screwing up your barrel threads?:eek:

wolverine350
September 7, 2007, 11:22 AM
Don't do it :eek:

JWT
September 7, 2007, 12:10 PM
Only if you want to buy a new barrel or continue to shoot it without choke tubes. You'll ruin the threads if you shoot without a tube. I won't even run a rod through my guns without a tube in them. If I soak the tube to get the burned wadding off I'll put it back in the gun before cleaning the barrell. Barrels are expensive, tubes aren't (except for the high end Brileys etc.)

banditt007
September 7, 2007, 07:42 PM
in an emergency sure you can shoot it like that. but although i dont think its dangerous, it will munch on the threads for the choke and ruin them.

Scoupe
September 8, 2007, 10:48 PM
Lead down the pipe without tubes isn't going to destroy the threads immediately, if ever. Takes about one shot of steel or bismuth though.