PDA

View Full Version : Sling?

roy reali
September 6, 2007, 06:16 PM
Does anyone here have a sling on their shotgun? Not a slug or deer type shotgun, I am talking about bonafide bird guns. I am thinking of having a sling put on my field shotgun. I realize that with most bird hunting the firearm needs to be at the ready for quick action. But sometimes there is a considerable hike to the hunting area. Having the shotgun carried on the shoulder would be easier.

If your bird shotgun is slinged, are you happy with it? Does the sling seem to have any negative effect on your shooting?

Thanks in advance!

GATMOG
September 7, 2007, 12:41 AM
I have one on my HD gun--I know theres a potential to get it caught on things, but I can never do w/o a sling on long guns.. Say you need to climb a ridge during a hunt, w/o a sling life would get very difficult quickly..:D

Rembrandt
September 7, 2007, 11:00 AM
All my upland bird shotguns sport slings....wouldn't go to the field without one. Even use them on over/unders, the type that requires no swivels. Sometimes I'll remove it and put it in a pocket till needed....crossing a stream or needing both hands free.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/22/30/24/i223024vr03.jpg

ActivShootr
September 7, 2007, 12:00 PM
I have one on my waterfolwing piece. Very handy when you have a bag of decoys, bag full of gear, and a 85 lb Lab on the end of a leash.

roy reali
September 7, 2007, 04:25 PM
I did put a sling on one of my field shotguns. I actually used it today. You guys are right, it is very useful. It even helps when nature calls.:D

PJack
September 8, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'm hunted with a Winchester Model 12, 16 gauge since I was about 14 years old. I put a sling on it by attaching the swivel to the stock and I used a piece of rawhide and tied the sling to the front of the forearm. I think I've replaced the rawhide tie twice in the past 40 years. It's always worked great for me!