PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with buying a new Shotgun Scope!!!!

FailureByDesign
September 4, 2007, 09:42 PM
I just bought a brand new Remington 870 Express with a cantilever barrel!!! yes!!!, i need a new scope under 200 bucks, looking for possible luminated reticles or red dot,,,, please give me some advice asap thanx!

king.460
September 9, 2007, 09:59 AM
I will be purchasing a slug gun for my daughter in several weeks and look forward to the responses you get from this thread. Right now I'm leaning toward an Aimpoint scope (red dot) because it's what I have on my handguns and does a great job except for low-light situations. Recoil and durability is no problem for an Aimpoint. Also, I see no need for a variable power scope for a shotgun as your shot will likely be within125 yds.

Give me a hot dot!...

intruder
September 9, 2007, 07:40 PM
Simmons has a nice affordable line of shotgun scopes. I have a 4 power with a diammond reticle for turkey hunting. It's pretty clear and takes the recoil of a 31/2 inch round.

FirstFreedom
September 9, 2007, 09:08 PM
Here's the scope that is on my Rem 1187 slug gun with a cantilevered mount:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3638-89-leupold-1-4x20-vx-i-shotgun-muzzleloader-scope.aspx

It's great, with the heavy duplex and long eye relief - just the thing for close-in hunting.

What are you hunting though? For flying birds, an ESD like an Eotech or Bushnell Holosight would work well, I think.

arcticap
September 9, 2007, 10:12 PM
I have a Simmons 4X32 shotgun scope with a Truplex reticle and 5 inches of eye relief. It's a short, light scope that I liked well enough to buy a second one to mount on an H&R slug gun too. IIRC it cost about $60 or so and they work just fine.

FailureByDesign
September 12, 2007, 01:26 PM
FF, i plan on hunting sctrictly deer,,,,, i'll take a look at the leupold

boltgun71
September 12, 2007, 03:28 PM
I use a Leupold VX-I 2-7X33mm scope on my 870 for hunting deer and love it. Its a great scope and the zero hasnt changed on it in 3 years. I've used it out to 150yds both hunting and target practicing with great results. You cant beat the Leupold warranty either. Its also in your budget. Here's the link to the one I use...
http://www.swfa.com/pc-3442-89-leupold-2-7x33-vx-i-riflescope.aspx

bobby1028
September 12, 2007, 08:27 PM
I have the Simmons 4x32 also on my 870 and have no complaints, especially sinced I picked it up new for 39 bucks!
My favorite shotgun scope is on my 11-87, an old Nikon 1.5x4.5x20...the optics are superb, never lost its zero, and the magnification range is perfect IMO for a slug gun

FailureByDesign
September 13, 2007, 01:42 PM
I think i'm might go with the Leupold 2-7x33 VX-I,,, can someone direct me what kind of scope rings and mount? for my cantilever barrel, thanx

boltgun71
September 13, 2007, 03:31 PM
"I just bought a brand new Remington 870 Express with a cantilever barrel!!! yes!!!"
Sounds like you already have the mount, you just need the rings. On my 870 with cantilever mount and Leupold VX-I 2-7X33mm scope I'm using regular Weaver medium height rings. Hope this helps.

crowbeaner
September 13, 2007, 09:44 PM
I have a Burris 1.5x5 for my gun, but I haven't mounted it yet because my kid is breaking my rocks over getting old and NEEDING the scope! I had an old Redfield on my Ithaca, and it worked great as long as I kept my head back and didn't get scope bite. Make sure you get the eye relief right or you too will have the crescent reminder to look at when you shave. My$0.02. CB.