PDA

View Full Version : Question about an 870 jam

Servo77
September 3, 2007, 02:36 PM
OK< I was shooting so9me Federal "top gun" target loads out of an 870 wingmaster this afternoon and the second to last round that I fired jammed in the gun after it was shot. I had to actually remove the barrel to clear it (probably could've "shucked" it harder, but I thought I better not force it). Anyway, the case looked a little bulged around the bottom....was it just a bad load or is there something else I should check. THe barrel is brand new (wingmaster slug barrel with remchoke) and I have never had a jam before.

What say you?

nutty ned
September 3, 2007, 04:45 PM
It happens go shoot it again

2FNSLO
September 3, 2007, 06:23 PM
I had these problems when mine was new... several hundred rounds later... doesn't happen any more. Just keep shooting it.

Dfariswheel
September 3, 2007, 07:07 PM
Use a chamber brush to scrub the chamber.

There's been a lot of cases lately of new 870's and new barrels failing to extract.
The usual cause is, the owner failed to clean the factory lube from the chamber.
This lube mixed with fouling turns into a sticky substance that can cause the cases to stick.

The second major cause is cheap ammo. Try better ammo.

dakotashooter2
September 6, 2007, 10:44 AM
Use a chamber brush to scrub the chamber.

There's been a lot of cases lately of new 870's and new barrels failing to extract.
The usual cause is, the owner failed to clean the factory lube from the chamber.
This lube mixed with fouling turns into a sticky substance that can cause the cases to stick.

The second major cause is cheap ammo. Try better ammo.

I'm not so sure. I have a 80's model wingmaster and Federal shells hang up something terrible. No problems with anything else.