PDA

View Full Version : First trap shoot last night...

DBotkin
August 30, 2007, 06:31 PM
#2 Son (23) & I went out yesterday evening with our full-choke Remington 870s and shot two rounds of trap at a local public range. It was a nice time, better actually than I expected. it's a municipal facility in a public park (oddly enough); $5.50 per round. No jackasses around, staff was nice, other shooters were patient enough to show us the ropes and walk us through it. Busted 12 the first round & 13 the second, son did 14 & 11.

Now I can understand why guys go ape when shotshells go on sale at $3 a box. I'm glad we bought 2 cases, kind of wish we'd bought more. I didn't know it would be that much fun. :)

iracodypatterson
August 30, 2007, 06:59 PM
Welcome to the fun and exciting world of shotguns!

JWT
August 30, 2007, 06:59 PM
Great sport, glad you liked it. It gets to be contagious and you keep wanting to do more and more of it. Most trap shooters are quite happy to help you get comfortable with the proper way to shoot and will be glad to give you pointers if you want them.

Enjoy the sport and keep at it.

BigJimP
August 31, 2007, 02:44 PM
Good to hear you took the opportunity to get out and shoot some clays - welcome to a pastime that you can do for many years ...... Glad to hear the local range welcomed new shooters and helped you out.

williamd
August 31, 2007, 07:22 PM
Sounds like your experience was good ... and typical. I have encounterd very few jackasses on trap/skeet fields. And, those that get that way are most often called down by SPORTSMEN!

Yep, watch for those sales. Reloading is fun but you won't save a bundle.

Dave McC
August 31, 2007, 09:09 PM
I shot some clays today with two friends The younger is 73. Both probably outshot me, though we're not so crass as to actually keep score.

Busting clays is instant gratification. If we do everything right, we get our reward right now, a shattered target.

Destroying things loudly is great stress management...

Zombie Steve
September 3, 2007, 02:23 PM
Congrats! You broke more than I did my first time. You'll have a lot of fun.
If you're the kind of guy that takes tips - keep the wood on the wood (little joke - people tend to pull their head off the stock when aquiring a moving target) and always keep your front foot parallel with the house - the angles will affect you less. Helped me, anyway.
Happy and safe shooting to you and yours!

TexIndian
September 7, 2007, 12:24 AM
It is definitely addicting. I quit shooting competitively about 10 years ago, but I was saving 50% on shells back then by reloading. Granted, I bought my components in bulk at discount and not one box/bag at a time from the local retail store.

You may have already missed it this year, but at most state trap tournaments (usually around July) there are component dealers who bring a semi or two of supplies to sell. They're trying to unload their inventory before the winter lull sets in and the prices are the best you'll usually find. Local shooters can also point you toward the best deals on components. Look for 'Magnum' shot that has a higher antimony content. It's harder and deforms less when fired. It's shinier than the dull gray of pure lead. You can save 50% on wads by using something like Claybusters or Windjammers instead of Federal or AAs.

Just don't buy any of those 'Dove & Quail' specials that come out before dove season every years - like the Winchesters in the white boxes. Those are basically crap. The shot is soft and irregularly shaped. There is no shot cup, just a paper base and a piece of thin plastic wrapped around the shot (you'll see this plastic floating down to the ground when someone shoots them). The powder is cheap and dirty, and the shells are usually loaded up to 3 1/4 drams which just magnifies all the problems. What comes out the barrel is a bunch of flattened shot pellets that fly like so many frisbees. You'd have a hard time hitting a barn with that stuff - even if you were inside the barn.

DBotkin
September 7, 2007, 10:48 AM
What we've got for shells right now is a couple of cases of Remington field loads, 2-3/4" 7-1/2 shot. Picked them up on sale at bass Pro for something like $2.99 a box.

It looks to me like I'd have to reload a LOT of shotshells to make it pay off. From looking at component prices at Cabelas and a few other places, it looks like I'd spend far more than $.12 a pop reloading. Maybe the stuff can be had far cheaper, I don't know. At any rate, I'll keep buying cheap shells for now - trap is fun, but I don't see myself doing it enough to justify another reloading setup.

At least my shotgun cleaned up all right. I'm still getting red-brown patches out of my son's barrel. We bought both of the 870s used from a forum member here. It looked OK when it arrived (and still does), but must have been pretty badly neglected. I can scrub that SOB all day long with a bronze brush, patches and Hoppe's #9 and STILL pull rust out of the barrel. When I wipe down the outside of the barrel with CLP I get a brown rag too. The bluing looks good, but it's still shedding.

JWT
September 7, 2007, 10:55 AM
Estate Sport Competition Target Load in a 3 dram equiv., 1-1/8 #8 shot do very well for trap shooting. See lots of shooters using them at the local club. The prices run about $4 per box if you buy a flat with discount as some of the local stores.

perazzimx14
September 8, 2007, 06:06 PM
Cabelas, Gander Mt or big "chain stores" are not the place to price reloading components. Back when I was reloading I could buy lead for $10.50 - $12.50 per bag. The Gander Mountain across the street charged $25.00 per bag. Wads, primers and powder were also about 40% higher than I could buy components from suppliers.

Now that all reloading components prices have gone through the roof I buy factory new shells. I have used Federal Top Guns, Estates (manafactured by Federal), and Rio's. All have preformed very well and now cost less to buy new than to reload.

You should also look at joining a local sportmen's club that has a trap range. The target prices should be better than at a public range.

Wait unitl the "Trap Bug" really sets in.... I have 168 flats of shells reserved for me and the wife to shoot this year.

Gary L. Griffiths
September 15, 2007, 04:09 PM
When I was in college, the Univ of Iowa had a gun club near Tiffin, IA. I used to go out there pretty regularly. They had a MEC 650 progressive loader for member use, and I would often go out and load shells in the afternoon or early evening. It wasn't unusual for me to go through a case of shells on a weekend. :eek:

That's the one thing I miss most about my "full-time RV" life, now.