PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger 2000-Why I changed my mind!!

ebutler462
August 30, 2007, 11:06 AM
Several years ago I bought a Stoeger 2000. I did not keep it due to the severe recoil and the sorry fit. It would feed anything I throwed at it. The small bead front sight was almost impossible to see and the comb was too high. In other words it was brutal. I traded it for a more manageable gun. Since then I have had nothing good to say about the 2000.

WELL, last week I went into my dealers showroom and he showed me the new edition of the 2000. The new higher rib and the high viz front sight appealed to me enough for me to part with a couple of beaters that had been closet queens for years.

Yep, I brought it home with me after the dealer stuck on a Limbsaver #10008. Perfect fit.

I took it out to the farm and fired off some 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads through it. What a difference that higher rib and high viz sight made. It was very manageable. I wasted quite a few loads in it, including a couple or three of magnums. Not a whimper and it cycled everything I threw at it.

After firing it several times for function tests, I took it home, field stripped it, and cleaned out the cosmoline. Strips down completely in a couple of minutes. Five minutes from start to finish. Then took it back to the farm and blasted away some more.

I owe the members of SGW this explanation since I have stated many times that I didn't care for the 2000. I must say that the redesign made a world of difference in the 2000. The higher rib and the Limbsaver makes this a much more desireable gun.

I have compared it with the action of the Franchi I-12 and for the life of me can't tell the difference. Of course the I-12 has adjustment shims and a higher price tag.

I have posted several times that this gun as it was originally designed was not a fun gun. I am very pleased with the Stoeger 2000 as it is now designed. The machine work is so much better than what was in my original 2000.

I plan to use this gun heavily this year and will keep you posted on it.

Yep, I changed my mind. I am satisfied with it now. I am looking forward to many years of shooting with it. But, I won't retire my Franchi 48. It will be my back-up gun.

jeo556
September 3, 2007, 09:43 AM
I have been on the fence for a while about the Stoeger 2000 but your post put me over. I went out and purchased one on Saturday, actually my fiance bought it fir me for an engagement gift. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet but the action is really smooth and the gun point really well for me. I'll also post range reports when I get a chance. Thanks for pushing me over the fence..

Jeo556

wolverine350
September 3, 2007, 08:41 PM
they are making some really nice pieces now

ebutler462
September 3, 2007, 09:54 PM
Jeo, a good recoil pad like the Limbsaver is worth the extra $25.00.

I am sure that the 2000 will give you good service. I shot a case or two of loads through mine dove hunting (who keeps count dove hunting?) without a problem.

DWARREN123
September 4, 2007, 12:30 AM
Just shows how much difference a good fit matters.

AFman
September 23, 2007, 08:55 PM
Bought a Stoeger 2000 yesterday after much research via the internet. There appeard to be a lot of pros and cons on the earlier M2000, but mostly positive comments and reviews on the newer 2000 model.

I disassembled the shotgun and cleaned the excess oil off the parts. I was surprised to see how good the fit and finish is on this shotgun--no tool marks, no burrs or any signs of poor workmanship. I shot 2 rounds of skeet today with basic target loads (1oz of 9 shot) with no malfunctions or failures to feed. When I got home, I disassembled it again to look for any unusaul wear as well as shell shavings. I saw no signs of either. Overall I'm impressed. I think this shotgun is well worth the $420 retail.

ebutler462
September 24, 2007, 10:12 AM
I agree that the new model has the old model beat by a long shot. The quality and design makes a lot of difference. Stoeger and Vursan has finally got their act together.

I wouldn't have one of the older models. I did have one for a only short while. I only wish they would come out with a 20 gauge now.

jeo556
September 24, 2007, 03:05 PM
I finally got to take my M-2000 12 gauge out Saturday morning. My buddy and I shot 6 rounds of trap and she's yet to have a hiccup. I shot some of the Estate Super Competition rounds as well as some Winchester X. The estate were 1 1/8 oz., 8 shot, 3 dram equivilent while the Winchester were 1 oz., 3.5 dram. The estate shot pretty dirty but she didn't seem to mind. Thats the beauty of the enertia system I guess....Shoots where I aim her and the recoil wasn't as bad as some said it would be. I was a little sore after 150rounds but I think thats to be expected. If she keeps shooting this good I'll be getting myself another for the bedroom/HD purposes. If anyone has any expierence with the fully rifled barrels I'd love to hear about it, as well as the recoil. Thanks

Jeo556

ebutler462
September 25, 2007, 09:18 AM
Put a Limbsaver on it and you will thank me. (#10008) It really makes the 2000 a fun gun.

ebutler462
September 26, 2007, 08:41 PM
According to Gun Tests Magazine, the Stoeger 2000 is the better choice when compared to the Franchi I-12, due to reliability and quality issue. The comparison test costs $10.00 but I bought it anyway. It may be copyrighted, so I can't share the testing data. Suffice it to say that the Stoeger got the higher rating.

AFman
September 27, 2007, 07:20 AM
ebutler--just put quotes around what you want to use. The only way you get in trouble with written works is when you claim someone elses writing as your own or reproduce the work in whole without the publishers approval. If you're just using a paragraph, just cite it and you're okay. My 2 cents.:)

ebutler462
September 27, 2007, 11:10 AM
Short synopsis: They had problems with the Franchi I-12 jamming and the bolt handle flying out frequently. The Stoeger 2000, basically the same action, had none of these problems.

The Stoeger was rated as "Buy It". The Franchi was rated as "Don't Buy" due to problems with the gun.

john1911
September 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for these reports. I'm looking for a new semi-auto shotgun and the 2000 may be just what I need.

ebutler462
September 27, 2007, 05:08 PM
John, be sure that you get the new model with the high viz front sight. You don't want one of the old models. The old models function great but there is a world of difference in the fit and handling of them. Well worth the money. Less than $500.00 with a Limbsaver #10008.

Those inertia actions have more felt than gas guns. They tame quite well with a good recoil pad.

john1911
September 27, 2007, 08:43 PM
high viz front sight

Is that a name brand or just the red front bead?

The one I looked at had a red bead. Didn't look at it that close.

Thanks for the help.

ebutler462
September 27, 2007, 09:29 PM
It is the red bead. It and the higher rib distinguish between the old models and the improved models. If it has the red sight, you have the right model.

john1911
September 28, 2007, 03:09 PM
Another question:

I was at GM today looking at some shotguns. The bolt didn't lock back on the M2000. Shouldn't it lock back on a empty chamber?

ebutler462
September 28, 2007, 09:59 PM
Only when it has fired the last round. The little switch beside the trigger guard is the lock to hold the bolt back when not actually firing the gun. This indicator lets you know when the gun is cocked. It also locks the bolt back by pushing it up while hand cycling the bolt.

Neanderthal
October 21, 2007, 04:30 AM
I love that bolt holdback-shell release button. It lets you do whatever you want whenever you want. It took me a little while to figure it out, even reading the manual, but my 2000 is a keeper!

ron sr
October 21, 2007, 06:05 AM
i finally got my shotgun out this saturday for the first time. i must say i thought it was perfect with no problems thanks to everybody here that helped me match the limbsaver to fit this gun. thanks everyone

ron sr
October 21, 2007, 06:07 AM
:i finally got my shotgun out this saturday for the first time. i must say i thought it was perfect with no problems thanks to everybody here that helped me match the limbsaver to fit this gun. thanks everyone