PDA

View Full Version : Remington "Spartan" double barrel

BoltWorks
August 27, 2007, 05:39 PM
Hey all, as I understand, these are made by Baikal. Does anyone have input on these guns?

thanks

RevolverLover
August 27, 2007, 06:10 PM
Yes, they are made by Baikal. It's Russian, so they are known for being durable but not as finely finished as some other doubles.

BigJimP
August 27, 2007, 06:48 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree that a Baikal is reliable or durable - based on what I've seen they're quality is very highly suspect. I would not personally represent a Bakail or anything they make.

I would recommend you save your money up, shop the used market, and buy a higher quality double or buy a different style of gun if this is your price range. I doubt you'll be happy with it long term.

Mad Martigan
August 27, 2007, 08:36 PM
I thought they looked okay, but I refused to buy one I couldn't load 3 in shells in.

jeo556
August 27, 2007, 09:07 PM
My buddy has one and we've put about 1K rounds throught her this summer. No failures whatsoever. Other than that the fit and finish is a bit rough, but she has been lossening up a bit. It shoots where you aim it.....we were smoking clays this past Sunday. That being said, he just had a conversation with some guys from work that have used them and they had nothing good to say about them at all. It's one of those things that's hit or miss I guess; but If you got one like my buddy's, and were only expecting entry level quality, you'd be pleased. I know that my post did anything but help your decision, I'm sorry...... Try and see what happens. You can always sell her later If you're not pleased. GOOD LUCK!

plom
August 28, 2007, 04:05 AM
well, here in europe Baikal is commonly used and have a strong reputation of very durable shotguns. I've one my self, my brother have one and use it for Cowboy Action Shooting all the year, never had a problem with them...
I know several gunsmiths using baikal to make customs coach guns for CAS because they're build like tanks.
Plus, if remington ask Baikal to make their shotguns I trust Remington enough to know they will not ask Baikal if their products was some low quality shotguns.

quack fiend
August 28, 2007, 05:04 AM
In the case of the baikal autoloader marketed by remington, it's a better 3.5" mag. gun than anything they offer, function-wise.

DPris
August 30, 2007, 05:00 PM
I have a pre-Remington Baikal coachgun & a Remington Baikal coachgun. I bought the second after using the first.
Good rep for non-fancy workhorses.
Denis