PDA

View Full Version : 1st slug gun--need help.

king.460
August 26, 2007, 06:25 PM
I am a handgunner/ bowhunter but have a 13 year old daughter who will be attempting her first whitetail harvest this year in Alabama. I also hunt in Illinois and would like a backup weapon for the gun season there. I think the best option is to purchase a 20 ga. slug gun which will provide minimal recoil for my daughter and enough firepower to crumple a 300 lb Illinois bruiser at 125 yards.
Any suggestions on the best gun to suit the above needs will be greatly appreciated!

rrp
August 26, 2007, 08:08 PM
It's pretty hard to beat the price and quality of the rem 870 express shot guns. I do believe they make a youth model in the express also.

Dave McC
August 26, 2007, 08:40 PM
The 20 gauge 870 YE I got for the kids LOVES Rottweil Brenekkes out of the IC choke slug barrel. These are as effective on deer as any 12 gauge slug.

The bad news is it kicks HARD. Nosebleed, purple bruise hard.

With Remington Sluggers, it's not so bad.

hottbarrell
August 26, 2007, 10:04 PM
Get her a good recoil pad and stick with the rottweil/brenekke ammo,my nieces both love to shoot,my brother tells me they like the heavy stuff, there chipmunk 22's I got them a few years back are pretty worn,They are only 13 years old but they love dad's 308 fn/fal!!! Ive seen there groups,just awsome, now there into skeet,even the girls get the bug:)as 4 the gun whatever fits her and she's comfortable with.
P99er

MyXD40
August 26, 2007, 10:15 PM
I would have LOVED my dad if he bought me a AR-16 for hunting when I was just a young buck..:rolleyes: ahhh would have been GREAT times

That's very cool, I think, that you have a close relationship with your daughter..not many fathers do these days for some reason..

king.460
August 27, 2007, 04:09 AM
Has a detachable butt pad to reduce the length to a youth model. Good gun?

hottbarrell
August 28, 2007, 04:15 AM
You could probably saw the stock off and replace the but pad to fit,I think my uncle did this for my cousin he started shooting at 2-1/2 ,just kidding but he was very young and it helped him get his first deer I think it was a 410 single.

hottbarrell
August 28, 2007, 04:56 AM
Rossi makes a 22lr/20ga.interchangeable barrel combo youth model for 149.00 at olde english if your not set on a pump.