PDA

View Full Version : H&R Pardner for HD?

Full-choke
August 22, 2007, 10:38 AM
So I got an idea the other day when I was in the gun shop. Would it be feasable to take a nice cheap used Pardner and turn it into a pistol grip, short barrel HD gun?

I think it would make a handy one myself, aside from the fact that it is one shot. But, I don't plan on having to use more then one round to do the job anyways.

What are your guys' thoughts on this one?

F-C

oletymer
August 22, 2007, 01:36 PM
Pistol grip shotguns with hammers could bite the hand if it slips much in your grip.

Slopemeno
August 22, 2007, 02:24 PM
Leave the stock alone, but otherwise yes. There was a special on HBO about 20 years ago where they covered a few armed-citizen shootings, and one of them was a guy with a single shot shotgun in the closet. He confronted an intruder who tried to close the distance with him, and the homeowner fired, killing the intruder.

The three points of contact (shoulder, right hand, left hand) is what gives you better hit probability with a long gun. Leave the stock alone and keep that advantage. Feel free to have the barrel shortened to 20" or so.

Rimrod
August 22, 2007, 02:29 PM
It's possible to miss, even with a shotgun. But if you feel O.K. with it, go for it. If you plan on doing the alterations yourself make sure you know the NFA laws on over all length of a shotgun. If you want an 18" barrel you will need a little more than a pistol grip stock to make it legal due to their short receivers.

Full-choke
August 22, 2007, 02:35 PM
Okay, so taking this one step further, let's look at the Tamer 20? It has a 20" barrel, so I really wouldn't need to shorten it. It also has a built in carrier for pick-up shells. I know the one shot thing slows way down compared to a pump or semi-auto, but I think it could still be a viable HD gun...

F-C

Slopemeno
August 22, 2007, 05:10 PM
I think I'd scout around for a clean 870. I've picked up 870's and Ithaca 37's for *cheap*, you just have to keep your eyes open.

If you want to see some fast single-shot technique, go on YouTube and look up the CAS shooters with Model 97's. The can be incredibly quick.

Dave McC
August 22, 2007, 08:43 PM
A single shot with 28" barrel and normal stock is shorter than a 20" barreled 870.

Plus side, they're reliable as a crowbar. Simple MOA.

These singles kick like heck. As with all defensive tools, much practice is needed.

Rimrod
August 22, 2007, 09:25 PM
What you use is secondary to how you use it. If you choose a single shot learn how to reload it while on the move or have some kind of barrier that you can shoot from behind.

kozak6
August 23, 2007, 01:48 AM
You should check your local gun shops and pawn shops and see if you can find something that will hold a couple more shells.

A Mossberg Maverick 88 from Walmart is going to be damn inexpensive too, and would be a much better choice.

Bill DeShivs
August 23, 2007, 02:03 AM
The H&R/NEF singles have automatic ejectors, so reloading is not too slow.
I would not cut the stock to pistol grip configuration, but cutting it down quite a bit shorter will enhance handling. It's much easier to shoot a gun with a short stock than one that's too long.

Full-choke
August 23, 2007, 06:50 AM
I think I'm going to look for a Tamer model possibly, then I have shells with me for sure. Plus, it is already a short gun, so I think it would be pretty good.

I think with a little practice on moving targets I could learn to use it pretty dern well.

rugerfreak
August 23, 2007, 07:07 AM
Look into a Remington 870 Express Youth---that way you already have a short barrel.

Thinkin a single shot would be bad for HD---as said before you could miss----or there may be more than one invaders-----you might get one while the other(s) shoots you dead while trying to reload-----spend the extra $100 bucks and get a repeater.

rodney1968
August 23, 2007, 08:07 AM
I just purchased a nef 20g. to leave in the closet,it came with a 22 inch barrel I think it is a youth model shoulders very quick light and easy to handle I have one in the pipe and 5 on the butt stock but I also have my
.357 sp101 to back it up. my purpose in getting this shotgun was it was cheap $104 at wal mart if it gets stolen while at work I am out little over 100
dollars

Full-choke
August 23, 2007, 08:48 AM
Those were my thoughts exactly!!! I'm living in an apartment for one, so shot is a lot less likely to go tearing into the next apartment and kill someone I don't want to. On the other hand security can be a factor, so if someone busts in, I'm not out a $400-500 handgun. Once I move into a place of my own, I'm certain to get a HD handgun of some kind, but I'm thinking this would be a good choice right now.