PDA

View Full Version : OMG, 10 ga Hurt.

ARmasterzach
August 20, 2007, 09:35 PM
I always wanted a 10 guage, just for kicks. but they are kinda hard to find unless you order one. I was at the gun show last weekend in mesquite,TX, and I was looking through a rack of guns and I saw a brand new New England with camo stocks on the back with an outrageously thick barrell. I got it and found a table with some old boxes of shells and got some and went home to shoot it. I live out in the country so I can go outside and shoot without bothering anyone. So I stuck a shell in and threw a coke can out about ten yards and pulled the trigger. The recoil was so bad I cut my trigger finger open on the trigger guard and the sling stud on the forestock slammed into my other index finger and it felt like someone hit me in the arm with baseball bat. but it was awesome. I dont know what happened to the can and the next 9 shells werent as bad cause I knew what to expect. I bet it will make a great HD or squirrell gun.

Rimrod
August 21, 2007, 11:19 AM
It will make a good HD gun if you add a tactical rail with a flashlight and laser attached, a side saddle ammo carrier, a vertical grip on the fore end and a matching, folding butt stock and ghost ring sights with tritium inserts.

And it will make a good squirrel gun if you don't like the taste of squirrel.

WSM MAGNUM
August 21, 2007, 11:31 AM
It will make a good Trap and Skeet gun too! :eek:

cloudcroft
August 21, 2007, 11:39 AM
This would, too, if the clay birds were all in one place that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIQy7zFZq-Q

-- John D.

Manedwolf
August 21, 2007, 12:05 PM
Widespread opinion I've read is that 10-gauge became redundant and outdated the moment they released the 12-gauge 3-1/2" Super Magnum shell.

AFAIK, there's absolutely nothing a 10-gauge can give you that a Super Mag 12 can't, (except more felt recoil) and the Super Mag can also fire the shorter shells, giving it multiple uses.

SAAMI limits:

10 gauge: 11,000psi
12 gauge Super Mag: 11,500psi

FirstFreedom
August 21, 2007, 01:56 PM
I always wanted a 10 guage, just for kicks.

Sounds like you got exactly what you wanted. :) I've seen those crazy-thick barreled NEFs - they look cool. Maybe if they make a slug gun, it would be super accurate; dunno.

tube_ee
August 26, 2007, 01:00 AM
OUCH!!!

That's gonna hurt. Lightweight, fixed-breech single shot. 10ga. No thanks.

As to the supposed superiority of the 3 1/2" 12ga... nope. Assuming similar loads, the bigger bore is likely to pattern better. The 3" 20 is probably the classic example of this... If you want to shoot 1 oz of shot, use a 16 or a 12. Likewise, if 1 1/2 oz and up are needed, the 10 is a better choice than a long-shelled 12.

A one-gun hunter is probably best served with a 3" 12, as the 3 1/2" shells have such brutal recoil that most won't shoot them well. Even a 3" 12 is pretty stiff.

Taller shot columns tend to yield more deformed pellets and a less-even pattern. Match the bore to the payload, and you'll get the best patterns.

Of course, there's some overlap, but the old rules still work:

7/8 oz: 20

1 oz: 16 (my favorite upland gauge)

1 1/8 - 1 1/4: 12 (the gun to have, if you can have only one)

1 1/2 and up: 10

Granted, the 3 1/2" 12 rules the roost for versatility and load availability, given that the long chamber doesn't seem to affect patterns with the 2 3/4" shells that they most often shoot, but if you really need the extra shot capacity of the 3 1/2", you're probably better off with a 10.

But not in a NEF single. Orthopedic surgery isn't my idea of a good time.

--Shannon

Bilbo56
August 26, 2007, 02:05 AM
You ought to take it to South Dakota pheasant hunting. You would probably limit out on one shot. hee hee How much does the gung weight? If you need to lug it through the corn fields all day it might be a real drag.

Bill DeShivs
August 26, 2007, 02:22 AM
I always wanted one with an 18" barrel, short stock and recoil pad.

ARmasterzach
August 26, 2007, 12:50 PM
I actually wound up getting a shorter barreled one yesterday and I sold the long camo one to a friend. The new one came with a brochure announcing that u can buy different barrels and u can and Im going to get a slug barrel for 50 bucks.

quack fiend
August 26, 2007, 08:30 PM
Speaking of 10's, i got an ithaca mag-10 auto (for goose hunting) the other day for $300, 32" vr full barrel, and it's recoil is less than any of my 12 ga. 3.5" guns, it's actually a real pleasure to shoot. The gun weighs 11.5 lbs. though, maybe that has something to do with it. :D

ARmasterzach
August 26, 2007, 09:16 PM
just got back from shoosting and I hit a 2 foot piece of railroad tie at 200 yds with my 10 with a 3 1/2 slug

ocharry
August 27, 2007, 06:38 PM
i would not trade my 10ga. double for any three 3 1/2" chambered 12 ga. out there,, the old girls is the killingest shot gun i have ever seen..it will do 90+% patterns (30" circle)at 60yrds. all day long with federal buffered copper plated 6's and 4's,,,, turkey killing machine my .02 YMMV

ocharry

Mad Martigan
August 27, 2007, 08:34 PM
It will make a good HD gun if you add a tactical rail with a flashlight and laser attached, a side saddle ammo carrier, a vertical grip on the fore end and a matching, folding butt stock and ghost ring sights with tritium inserts.

What the hell are you going to do with a folding buttstock on a 10 gauge shotgun? If you shoot it with a foregrip and a folded butt, you're going to punch yourself right in the stomach/face. :p

Rimrod
August 27, 2007, 08:57 PM
Your absolutely right Mad Martigan, I forgot to mention the reduced power self defense ammo.;)

And if you load your own ammo and want some less lethal rounds you can always shoot kittens or little fuzzy bunnies out of it.

Mad Martigan
September 3, 2007, 10:31 PM
I just happened to watch Legends of the Fall today. I'm pretty sure Hopkins let loose with a 10 gauge in the last shootout. Nice control for a geezer who had already had a stroke. :cool:

Limeyfellow
September 4, 2007, 01:17 PM
I fired a 10 gauge side by side a few times. That was enough for me. Luckly the shotgun weighed about 15-20ibs.

Fat White Boy
September 8, 2007, 11:31 PM
I used to hunt geese with a friend who used a 10ga SXS. He reloaded what he called his "Zambo" loads. It sounded like a four deuce mortar going off...

Hallucinator
September 9, 2007, 05:00 AM
Believe it or not, there was once an 8 gauge. Can you imagine?

roy reali
September 13, 2007, 11:53 PM
Several years ago I purchased one of those New England 12 gauge slug guns. You forget how much a shotgun can kick until you fire this thing.

pax
September 14, 2007, 12:04 AM
I always wanted a 10 guage, just for kicks.

Hahhhh! That has got to be the most unintentionally funny sentence I've read in a week or more.

pax

sholling
September 14, 2007, 12:52 AM
Back in the 80s they used to produce a 10ga semiautomatic for LEOs. If memory serves they called it the Roadblocker. It was intended for disassembling BGs and radiators belonging to BGs trying to run roadblocks.

https://www.thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-143277.html
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=13847

sholling
September 14, 2007, 01:04 AM
Duplicate post.

ActivShootr
September 14, 2007, 03:24 AM
I held a remmington sp-10 the other day. The thing weighs as much as 2 or 3 11-87's. It might make a good waterfowling piece or maybe a turkey gun but I wouldn't want to carry it around all day.

Vachss
September 15, 2007, 01:07 AM
I am the proud owner of a Harrington & Richardson 10 Gauge single shot shotgun.

I shoot .00 buck and slug through it and I have had no ill effects from the recoil.

It is a handful, but proper stance and forward lean are key to reducing the recoil of this fine large caliber weapon.

Did I mention the pillows?

3 weelin geezer
September 21, 2007, 10:36 AM
tube_ee

OUCH!!!

That's gonna hurt. Lightweight, fixed-breech single shot. 10ga. No thanks.

I'll take one. Actually, I ended up selling a .40 firestar to get one as I had forgotten my wallet at home 2 hrs away and it was closing time. Never got the chance to shoot that .40 but it was a good deal even with a $50 loss on it. Its a Spanish double that seemed to be stuck to the rack somehow when I tried to pick it up. Tried again after being able to pick up a 12 ga right next to it. Dang! is it heavy. One time my finger slipped off the front trigger and let off the back one. I thought it had blown up then I realized both bbls had been fired. Too bad I can't find any ammo for it locally. :mad:

3 weelin geezer
September 21, 2007, 10:40 AM
Hallucinator

Believe it or not, there was once an 8 gauge. Can you imagine?

I think they still make those for use in punching out slag out of furnaces though they don't advertise in shotgun news though.