PDA

View Full Version : teach me how to choke !

Abishai
August 14, 2007, 02:56 PM
hello everyone - i have an Rem. 870 express mag. (pump) probably the best shot gun ive ever owned. it came w/ two tubes and i bought another.

mod. cyl.
imp. cyl.
super full - hevi shot - steel or lead shot by Rem. (this one i purchesed)

I would like to be able to shoot 00buck through this gun.
Q. if so what choke should i use?
Q.2 ive heard some people say its not wise to shoot steel shot through some guns? i may shoot 2-3 boxes (not cases) a year. whats the scoop on that?
thanks all for all !!:confused:
Q.3 oh what about slugs? thanks again!

Full-choke
August 14, 2007, 03:40 PM
If you are doing deer, I'm more partial to slugs the 00 or 000 shot. The slug will go out of an Imporved Cylinder just fine, and a smooth-bore 870 barrel won't be affected at all by it. As for the buckshot question...I don't use so I wouldn't know what to tell you to get the best results. I learned on slugs and that is what I'll prolly always use.

F-C

Birdville2011
August 14, 2007, 04:48 PM
i just bought an 870 express and i was looking at remington's faq and they said that buckshot is best with mod.

Abishai
August 14, 2007, 07:38 PM
full-choke & birdvill2011, sure appreciate the advice. thanks for helping me!

Full-choke
August 14, 2007, 07:39 PM
Anytime man, that's what these forums are for

kozak6
August 14, 2007, 08:51 PM
As for your question about steel shot...

One interesting thing about shotguns is that really, they haven't changed that much in the last 100 years, and if they are well maintained, many of them can last that long. Hell, the first semiautomatic shotgun was invented in 1898.

So, there are a lot of old and perfectly serviceable shotguns out there.

Steel shot, on the other hand, is quite a bit newer. It's much harder than lead shot, and shotguns developed before the advent of steel shot simply weren't designed to handle it.

Shotguns made before the advent of steel shot had softer barrels since all they were intended to shoot was lead.

When steel shot is fired through such barrels, if the wad design allows the steel shot to contact the barrel, it can cause damage and undue wear. This isn't as much of a problem as it once was since modern plastic wads tend to encase the shot rather nicely.

And, if the choke is tight, since steel shot doesn't compress as gently as lead shot does, it can cause bulging and other similar problems.

However, with a modern shotgun, you shouldn't have any problem firing steel shot, especially with a choke tube specifically labeled for such.

Abishai
August 14, 2007, 10:46 PM
thanks for the history lesson & great info. I was a little concerned. I really do appreciate everyones help!!!! Thanks:)

waterhouse
August 16, 2007, 01:28 PM
If you get a chance, take your gun to the range and see how it patterns. Some guns will pattern some loads better with mod., some better with IC.

It is usually pretty quick and easy to pattern buckshot too.

Fat White Boy
August 18, 2007, 09:30 PM
I have a 12 gauge Remington 1100- I have never used anything but the improved cylinder choke. I take dove, quail, chukar(Out to 60+yds), pheasant, ducks & geese with this setup.

Abishai
August 18, 2007, 10:10 PM
Hey, thanks for the choking tip ! Sounds like your smoke pipe really does well with the set-up you've got ! Whats the difference between an 1100 and a 870 ? What part of the country are you from? Thanks again

"Fire in the hole"