PDA

View Full Version : Hmm... a Q or two.

sectshun8
August 11, 2007, 07:37 PM
I have shot a friends' .410, 12 and 20 gauge shotguns. However, really don't have much clue when it comes to the damned things.

I want to pick up a used 12g Maverick at my local shop soon. It will not be used for anything than throwing a couple rounds down range here and there, and for home defense. What type of rounds should I look at scooping up for it? And the 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" 12g rounds pertains to the length of the round correct? All can be shot from the same 12g gun?

skeeter1
August 11, 2007, 08:19 PM
And the 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" 12g rounds pertains to the length of the round correct? All can be shot from the same 12g gun?

You can fire the shorter cartridges in the longer chambers, but not the other way around.

sectshun8
August 11, 2007, 08:22 PM
Gotcha.. makes sense. If it's chambered for a 2 3/4" I would be NOT able to shoot the 3 and 3 1/2". Thanks!

What about as far as shot? I have n oclue about this double 00, or really any differences in the shot or their intended uses.

ebutler462
August 11, 2007, 09:24 PM
For throwing a few rounds downrange, buy a box or two of #7 1/2 shot, 1 oz loads and have at it. I use the same loads in my home defense gun. Some people like to load 00 buck for HD. Either will work just fine.

The best all around shot size for practicing or hunting is #7 1/2, IMO. It will suffice for 90% of your shooting. Shot sizes range from very small shot. #9 up to 000 buckshot. #9 is worthless for anything except clays or snakes,etc. For dove shooting, I only use #7 1/2 in 1 oz loads. For squirrels, #6 shot, which is a little larger than #7 1/2. For turkeys, #4 shot. Ducks, geese, maybe #2. The smaller the number, the larger the shot. Some shooters may not use what I use, but we are in the same ballpark.

Your Maverick is chambered for 3" loads. I never use 3" loads as they are usually unnecessary for anything except waterfowl. Plus, they kick like the devil.

A good shot can get by with 12 gauge 1 oz loads for the vast majority of their shooting needs. I buy #7 1/2 shot for beating around and banging away at pine cones and small game. It is my main shooting load. I have some buckshot but have never used it on anything except deer while dog hunting.

You have a good economical gun that will outlast you if you clean it and maintain it.

sectshun8
August 12, 2007, 03:23 PM
Cool. I went and checked it out again today at the shop. $139 for the Maverick Model 88. The barrel says its chambered for 2 3/4" AND 3" shells. I got ahead of myself and went and picked up 100 rds of 12g 1 1/8oz #7 1/2 shot at Wally World. They had a great deal, 100rds of Federal for $16! Hopefully this time next weekend I'll be pluggin' some targets!

ebutler462
August 12, 2007, 07:35 PM
You will be a happy person next time you post. Have fun!

skeeter1
August 12, 2007, 08:15 PM
The best all around shot size for practicing or hunting is #7 1/2, IMO.

That's sound advice, and one that I'll second. Although there are better choices depending on the target, #7-1/2 is a great place to start. Don't worry about #00-buck for quite a while. The only thing it's any good for is as a defensive load, and even then you'll get opinions from people (like me) that #4-buck is better. To each his own, but buckshot isn't very useful for learning or a whole lot else. After a while, you'll have the right load for the right target. At the moment, I think I've got #000-buck, #4-buck, #2, #4, #5, #6, #7-1/2, and #8 in the ammo locker for whichever target I choose.