PDA

View Full Version : Ruger MkIII feeding problems

jjohnstn
June 12, 2007, 09:04 PM
I've got a Ruger MkIII (.22LR) and it has been having some feeding problems. When shooting Remington .22LR hollow-points (also CCI Blazers) the round appears to be hitting the feed ramp hard enough to cut a notch into the tip of the cartridge. It looks like the angle of the cartridge as it enters the chamber is too low, not allowing it to ride the feed ramp but instead hitting the edge.

I've checked the magazines and there is some "play" in the top cartridge; if I carefully lift the tip end up and then insert the magazine, it will feed correctly. But then the next one likely wont.

Is this a known issue or something I should send it back to Ruger for?

ZeSpectre
June 12, 2007, 09:13 PM
had the same issue
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=233187

Mine just won't reliably feed hollowpoint rounds.

Bullseye57
June 12, 2007, 09:16 PM
This will happen with the first round out of a full magazine. Just orient the top round like in the picture and the next ones will feed properly.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/images/magfeeding.jpg

The rims of the cases and the magazine spring together lead to this situation.

R,
Bullseye

http://guntalk-online.com/images/guntalk_logo_sm.jpg (http://guntalk-online.com/forum/index.php)

jjohnstn
June 12, 2007, 11:54 PM
I've tried the finger alignment and sometimes it works, sometimes the next round will "spike". The photo above is exactly as it happens.

I may stop using hollowpoints and see how that goes.

Pistol has 500+ rounds already through it, so doubt it's a break-in issue.

Thank for the link to other post and pic

howard bleach
June 13, 2007, 01:50 AM
ZeSpectre, your posts on The High Road were excellent. Very helpful.

It seems that a lot of folks are having this same problem. One thing I didn't even consider - and pretty foolish of me not to have considered it - was to just change the magazine. Will try this next time and report back. Any of the other fixes seems out of my realm of non-handiness. :o

JWT
June 13, 2007, 09:21 AM
I've had the same problem a couple times, with Remington hollow points. It's only happened when chambering the first round, never on subsequent rounds.

Will mark my magazines and see if it's 'specific' to one magazine. I'll also change from hollow points and see if the problem continues.

ZeSpectre
June 13, 2007, 09:41 AM
Glad I could help.
I've considered using some JB Weld and "building out" the feed ramp a couple of millimeters longer but the bolt would hit it. <sigh>.

jakeswensonmt
June 13, 2007, 10:10 AM
JB Weld

JB Weld is so awesome....
Sorry, just had to throw that out.

DBski
June 13, 2007, 08:04 PM
I got the MK111 hunter and have shot every type of 22 ammo I find and have never had a problem. For just plinking I try to find the cheapest ammo availiable and with the price of ammo going up my Ruger get it done.

john45colt
June 13, 2007, 09:52 PM
corrected below

john45colt
June 13, 2007, 09:57 PM
Has anyone taken a real close look at the picture provided? The one that feeds has a larger gap on the feed lips of the mag that covers less of the brass than the non-feed mag. It appears to me that the non-feed mag has been dropped and feed lips have been forced closer together which is holding the rounds in the wrong angle to feed properly. A small adjustment there could solve the problem. IMO, John

chris in va
June 14, 2007, 01:05 AM
I bought one of the first MkIII 22/45's when they came out. It did the same thing, shaving off a half-moon piece of lead from the bullet and jamming. Only Thunderbolts would feed decently with their LRN profile.

I contacted Ruger, they sent me a new bolt for some reason...which of course didn't fix the glitch. I sold it a week later.

It's as if the feed ramp is too short on the III's. The MkII I had was flawless.

Bullseye57
June 14, 2007, 04:50 AM
Has anyone taken a real close look at the picture provided? The one that feeds has a larger gap on the feed lips of the mag that covers less of the brass than the non-feed mag. It appears to me that the non-feed mag has been dropped and feed lips have been forced closer together which is holding the rounds in the wrong angle to feed properly. A small adjustment there could solve the problem. IMO, John

No, that's just an optical illusion caused by shadowing on the magazine with the lower case. The feedlips of both magazines were the same widths apart.

R,
Bullseye

http://guntalk-online.com/images/guntalk_logo_sm.jpg (http://guntalk-online.com/forum/index.php)

blume357
June 14, 2007, 07:07 AM
My Mark III I've taken apart twice and gone through the hell of re-assembly. So, I decided to wait until it was so dirty it wouldn't work before trying for the third time, which I've been told on this list is the charm. So, about 3 months ago I took the Mark III out to shoot and it jammed about once on each mag I shot... 8 total. (different ammo) I figured that was a message and time to do the deed and take her apart and clean her up and try to learn how to line all that crap up to get it back together. Well, one of the things I'm very good at is procrastination and I didn't get around to it.

This week I had a good bit of time headed to the range... so I threw the Mark III in the bag with some bulk federal ammo. Before shooting the pistol I put two drops of gun oil in the chamber just because it's dirty as all get out in there... black as pitch. Well, 80 rounds later and not one fail to feed, eject or fire. Go figure, some times I think it's just which way the wind is blowing or how you hold your mouth....

ZeSpectre
June 14, 2007, 08:50 AM
Blume,
I've discovered that the most critical lubrication points on a MK III seem to be the recoil spring assembly (Part #22) especially the center rod itself, and the top of the chamber where the front part of the recoil spring assembly scrapes along (where the little half moon shaped front spring retainer drags along the top inside of the chamber). Even a fairly crudded up MK III will go back into action if you flush that "top line" out with breakfree or brake cleaner or WD-40 and re-lube.

bluebelton
June 14, 2007, 01:12 PM
The federal bulk (525) pack is a great round to use in these rugers because of the shape of the bullet. Mine would do the same thing with certain ammo but not with the federal bulk. Could shoot that all day long without hitting this issue.

JWT
June 14, 2007, 07:06 PM
Had one feeding problem today with over 250 rounds through my new Mark III Target Model. As soon as I removed the round and had only 9 in the clip it fed fine. I've been shooting the bulk pack Remington hollow points and don't intend to buy them again as I think that might be part of the 'problem'. Still, I had three feeding problems with about the same number of rounds the previous time I shot the gun.

On a more positive note, I was able to strip the gun in about 2 minutes and 'only' took about 7 or 8 minutes to get it reassembled after cleaning. (I spent about 15 minutes+ putting it back together the first time.)

blume357
June 15, 2007, 05:45 AM
in my opinion one hell of a run of luck... in any 22. Even the best most expensive ammo is basically cheap and will have a hickup every hundred or so.

A friend of mine gave me an old case of Remington 22lr last year and I just figured it was cheap stuff.... started shooting it a few weeks ago and damn if the stuff is not close to 100%.

allenomics
June 15, 2007, 04:38 PM
Check your mag springs? It's probably the ammo. With the cheap Federal 550, I might has one misfeed in a box. At less than $10, I'm not complaining.

FS2K
June 16, 2007, 05:57 AM
The reason I ask is because my MKII 22/45 USED to jam like that allot when it was new. I switched to regular lead bullets (Winchester "Wildcat's") since my 10/22 didn't like them, and after the gun broke in a little better I could shoot copper washed rounds out of it fine. If your gun is new, hang in there and put several hundred more rounds through it. I don't know exactly why my 22/45 had an easier time with the lead rounds, but it did when it was breaking in. Now it'll shoot just about anything I load it with.