PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun for LE use

adams528
May 18, 2007, 12:30 PM
I know the Rem 870 is very popular. I am takiing the NRA law enforcement Handgun/Shotgun instructor course soon, need to purchase a shotgun for the course. It will then be used for work and carried in the car. Any suggestions? What about the 870 with the Knoxx Spec Ops stock?

VUPDblue
May 18, 2007, 12:35 PM
I always liked the Mossberg 590 with ghostring sights.

omegapd
May 18, 2007, 12:59 PM
Mossberg and Remington have just about cornered the market. Try each out for fit and see what works best. Personally, for a duty shotgun, I chose the Mossberg 500 because the pump release button is in a more natural place for me to use it. I have a Rem 870 for bird hunting. Both work just fine.

ebutler462
May 18, 2007, 01:12 PM
Either will do fine. You will only use the cruiser shotgun for qualification. I retired after 30+ years in law enforcement and never had to fire the shotgun in the line of duty. You will however find that a Mini-14 or AR-15 will be a very handy weapon. Shotguns just might come in handy on a one or two man take down but much too dangerous in most situations as the load scatters endangering everyone around. A slug will completely penetrate a human body and endanger people and property behind the perp. Whereas a 223 will in almost every instance, expend all of its energy in the perp without complete penetration.

Ask a number of cops that have a few years under their belt. Most will tell you that a shotgun gives them a lot of confidence but it is really never fired in anger. I have more confidence in a 223. If you miss your perp, the projectile disentegrates on the first thing it hits. It is a safety factor for the public. You can aim with a rifle and send that one bullet to it's target. Whereas with a shotgun, you are filling the air with uncontrollable multiple shots or a slug that is like the Eveready battery, it just keeps on going.

If it were not a requirement, I wouldn't have carried a shotgun in my patrol car. With the 223, you have complete control out to 200 yards. Not so with a shotgun. It will do the job, however, at close range. Again, it is a safety factor, not to the perp, but to everything around the guy when worst comes to worst. Think about it. The lightweight rifle bullet will do the job so much better without endangering the background safety.

That is why most SWAT teams are issued rifles and use them almost exclusively.

Dave McC
May 18, 2007, 08:18 PM
Get an 870 and learn to shoot it. As for the Knoxx, IMO, you'd be better off with a wood stock that fits, a good pad, and proper form.

Slopemeno
May 18, 2007, 09:30 PM
Well said. A Decellerator pad thats fitted to you will make all the difference.

'75Scout
May 19, 2007, 12:16 AM
I have an older 870 that wears a knoxx compstock. There is a noticable decrease in felt recoil. The knoxx products would probably be the best mod to any LE or HD shotgun.

WeedWacker
May 19, 2007, 03:57 AM
870 is good but a SPAS 12 is good too (if you can find and afford one) Heck just go for the USAS 12 or a Pancor Jackhammer :rolleyes: :p :D I know I want one.

Rimrod
May 19, 2007, 07:00 PM
Get the 870. It is the easiest of all to clear a jam.

WeedWacker
May 19, 2007, 07:21 PM
I iwll say that between my mossberg 500 and my 870, only the 870 has not fired once while I was rolling around in the snow during a late winter pheasant hunt. Really dissapointing cause it was an easy shot. I think ice or snow was jamming the firing pin cause it shot fine after it thawed out. Haven't had the mossberg out in similar conditions. It's why I use a break o/u instead of pump when I go bird hunting now.

CWO4USCGRET
May 22, 2007, 12:45 AM
Hmmm, the venerable 870; I have two - both 12s; one is a Marine Magnum; I really like that one a lot; great shooter it fits me like a custom.

If you can afford it though I would recommend a Benelli M Series. The Marine Corps is going to the M4; I have an M3 Super 90 which is like the Spas12 both semi-auto and pump. Mine has the optional stock with pistol grip. I would love to retrofit the M4 collapsible stock though:

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/benelli_m4_1.jpg
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/benelli_m4.jpg

Of course if nostalgia interests you, try my pair o' shotties: both are High Standard Flite Kings; one is the standard model and the other, with rifle sights is the deluxe version. The deluxe was originally from the Chesterfield Township (MI) Police Department.

http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/military_guns/highstand_twins.jpg

http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/military_guns/highstandard_model_number.jpg

I got both of these for $300!

mcubed4130
May 29, 2007, 05:19 PM
Shotgun for LE use
I know the Rem 870 is very popular. I am takiing the NRA law enforcement Handgun/Shotgun instructor course soon, need to purchase a shotgun for the course. It will then be used for work and carried in the car. Any suggestions? What about the 870 with the Knoxx Spec Ops stock?

Generally speaking, LE (non-military) - have standardized on Remington 870, so if you are going into LE... get the Remington as it's most likely what you will use in the line of duty as well.

Now, if you are going into military service - they have standardized on the Mossberg 500.

This is also why you will tend to note that LE trained people around here like Remmy's and Military trained people like Mossy's...

Also, use the "search" button - if you want more info on the - subtle - yet very relevant differences... but at the end of the day, they are both top-notch guns.

As for the Knoxx SpecOps... you can do some searching on my name, to find how much I love this item, and would never consider a Shotgun that wasn't able to put this - and also a Limbsaver pad on... course in my case, I have both on my Mossy.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/mcubed4130/mossberg_short_range.jpg

Also of note, I took a tactical defensive shotgun class (home invasion type scenario) taught by local LE in my area... many had shotguns w/Ghost Rings, and when we did the "swap out your gun for your neighbors gun" type drills... I can say that it was easier to acquire a target with Ghost Rings - than bead sights... and I am now in the process of adding them to my Mossy.

-M3

Keith Eckensviller
May 30, 2007, 01:36 AM
I like the Mossberg. I have a 500 that holds 6 shots (that's with one up the pipe). The 870 is a nice gun but it can be pricey. Remeber all Mosberg makes is shotguns. The 590 can be bought with MilSpec everything. With the ghost rings I think it the best way to go.

Desert01
May 30, 2007, 04:46 AM
CWO4USCGRET,

The Marine's went to the M-1014 in the late 90's. They never retired the Mossberg and are trending back towards it for the same reasone the Army didn't adopt the Benelli. It will not cycle the full spectrum of ammunition that a pump action shotgun will. Unless of course you manualy cycle the action. That is a lot slower then running a pump though.

Avenger29
June 4, 2007, 12:28 AM
Remeber all Mosberg makes is shotguns

No, they also make rifles. The Mossberg 200 ATR and 4x4 rifles their line of rifles (and a far better value than the Remington 710). They also make .22 rifles.

Limeyfellow
June 26, 2007, 10:43 PM
For pump action I used both the Remington 870 and Mossberg 590, but find the Mossberg fits my shoulder better. Its a little cheaper too, but if you are thinking of joining Law Enforcement go with the 870.