PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably Priced Replacement Barrels

dgludwig
May 17, 2007, 03:00 PM
Anybody know of a source for replacement barrels for shotguns that cost less than a new Mossberg 500? I'm looking for a turkey barrel for a Browning BPS with a 3 1/2" chamber and the prices I've seen so far makes me wonder if it wouldn't make more sense just to go ahead and get a new or used inexpensive shotgun already set up with a shorter barrel for about the same price as a new barrel. Any thoughts, opinions or advice?

omegapd
May 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
Have you checked Ebay? Occasionally, barrels show up for less than a hundred bucks. I recently shopped around for a unrifled slug barrel w/ sights for my 870 and Midway USA was the cheapest place I found for a new one.

Glk17
May 20, 2007, 11:37 AM
You could try here.

http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/index.html

dgludwig
May 24, 2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the advice. I went to the Corsons Barrels site but still thought they wanted a lot of money for a barrel ($250.00). Maybe I'm out of touch with reality in terms of what barrels are bringing now but I return to my initial point: you can buy a new Mossberg, replete with barrel, for about the same money or less (Gander Mountain is selling them for $199.00).

BigJimP
May 24, 2007, 06:14 PM
You're right, but no new Mossberg is the equivalent of a used Browning BPS with or without a new barrel, in my opinion. But if you like the Mossberg - that's the way you should go.

Personally, I'd put a new Browning barrel on the BPS ..... if you really need a 3 1/2" chambered barrel - but there are lots of ammo options for a barrel chambered in 3" as well - presuming that's what you have on the BPS now.

But far be it from me to discourage a man from buying another shotgun .... anything under a dozen or so, is just under-gunned ...... but that's just me.

dgludwig
May 25, 2007, 01:57 AM
My point is, I guess, that Browning ought to be able to make and sell a barrel for less than the price of a new Mossberg (that comes with a barrel!). We're talking about shotgun barrels here guys, nothing especially complicated. Again, maybe I'm missing something here but I don't know what.

BigJimP
May 25, 2007, 02:53 PM
supply and demand - and perceived quality my friend. Browning wants more money for their barrels just like they want more money for their guns than Mossberg does. It doesn't mean Browning or Mossberg are doing anything wrong - they are building and designing their guns for different markets.

But in my experience, a Browning BPS like the Remington Wingmaster are more of a " premium " gun demanding a premium price - and providing a much more durable product long term, over thousands of rounds thru their guns with better internal components, better barrels, etc. and significantly better than any pump Mossberg or the low end guns have put on the market. I don't think Browning is too worried about pricing their barrels higher than a Mossberg pump - and personally it doesn't surprise me.

There is room for a lot of manufacturers in the pump gun market - Mossberg, Remington, Browning, Benelli, etc ........ We should all choose the gun that fits us the best, fits our needs and fits our budgets.

dgludwig
June 5, 2007, 12:06 PM
I like my BPS and if Browning can sell replacement barrels for more than the price of a new Mossberg, more power to 'em, I suppose. But let's not kid ourselves here: "Premium" guns does not translate into pricing a blued shotgun barrel as though it is gold-plated. Mossberg makes a quality shotgun (the military sure seems to like them and not just because they are cheap in price) and there's nothing I know of (empirically) that makes a Browning BPS barrel superior in any way to a Mossberg barrel. If somebody has documented evidence that Browning barrels last longer or pattern better, I'd love to see it.

In the meanwhile, I'm still looking for a source that peddles BPS barrels at a cheaper price. I'm beginning to realize that, instead of getting a "turkey" barrel for my BPS, buying a Mossberg 500,a Remington 870 Express, a Winchester 1300 or a Benelli Nova turkey [I]gun[I] for less money makes more sense. So see, in my case, the laws of "supply and demand" costs Browning any profit of selling me a barrel. Because this consumer understands that a "perceived quality" difference doesn't always mean a real quality difference and paying extra for a distorted perception just doesn't make any sense.