PDA

View Full Version : Coach gun for HD?

V4Vendetta
May 16, 2007, 02:55 PM
I realize that most folk would pick the pump action shotgun for HD but wouldn't a decent coach gun like the Stoeger model work as well? I mean 2 shots from a 12 gauge should stop anything. Right?

Your thoughts.

News Shooter
May 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
Behind my bedside table. Obviously, I trust it. I may be whistling in the dark, but I trust it. If I can't neutralize a threat with two shots from that I'm in serious trouble

PTR 91
May 16, 2007, 03:09 PM
Well it will stop pretty much anything you shoot, but don't expect to have any hearing after you blast it off in your house.

sm
May 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
Coach gun for HD?

Yep.

-Proven history of being reliable.
-I know of one known defensive shotgun trainer actually uses one in travel.
-I know of quite a few traveling sales reps that have used these forever
-Go watch a Cowboy Action or the Shotgunner, at a 3 Gun run the stages with one

b.thomas
May 17, 2007, 08:31 AM
Yup, why not!
Nice thing about a double over a pump if ya have a mis-fire just pull the second trigger rather then going to all the trouble of racking another round.:cool:

kinda like havin' two guns instead of just one?:D

dwpate
May 17, 2007, 11:19 AM
And with exposed hammers, you can leave it loaded forever and not ruin it.

buzz_knox
May 17, 2007, 12:08 PM
I know of one known defensive shotgun trainer actually uses one in travel.

Would that be the one who's lips don't move when he speaks?

'75Scout
May 17, 2007, 03:45 PM
Not to mention it would look better to a jury than any higher capacity gun. That being said I have Rem 870 with an extended mag.

BillCA
May 17, 2007, 04:05 PM
+1 on using a coach gun.

Lots of folks comment about the sound of racking a 12-ga pump shotgun scaring off predators. There is nothing so intimidating as looking at those side-by-side train tunnels pointed at your head!

About '79, a friend's wife was home alone when some guy started to break in through a bathroom window. She confronted him with a Stoeger 20-gauge coach gun as he was halfway through the window. It was evident he recognized the threat once the cops arrived and discovered he'd wet himself thoroughly. :D

ebutler462
May 17, 2007, 05:12 PM
I invite you to read the post "Have you ever..." on this forum. Excellent ideas to think on while making a decision.

tulsamal
May 17, 2007, 11:02 PM
I lived in Norman, OK from about 1988 to 1993. There was a gun store up on the north end that had a lot of nice stuff. Several guys worked there and they each carried a handgun on their belts. After several trips there, I noticed a Stoeger side by side with hammers leaning in a corner and asked about it. I thought maybe somebody brought it in to sell it or to have it repaired. The guy pulled it up and showed it to me. 12 gauge and loaded. Hammers down, safety on. I guess I kind of looked confused at that point since I was standing in a high speed gun store with dozens of much more "up to date" guns to chose from.

The guy explained to me that they didn't want to have a pump or semi leaning in a corner with a loaded chamber and safety on. Springs would be compressed in both the tube and the hammer. And it just felt a little more "ready to go" than he felt comfortable with in his store. But it seemed like a possible problem to have one with loaded mag and empty chamber as well. You still have the compressed mag spring and you have to cycle the action when somebody might be shooting at you.

But the coach gun could be loaded and then left hammers down. No mag springs. Hammer springs relaxed. Safety on just because it might slow or confuse a bad guy who grabbed it. The owner felt like that gun could lean in the corner for 20 years but when he picked it up, cocked the hammers, snapped off the safety, and pulled a trigger.... the darn thing was going to fire. For sure.

I thought about it and decided he was right and that his reasoning was just as good for home defense. But I could never find one of those Brazilian Stoegers for a good price. Either they would be really high or not 12 gauges. And then they just basically disappeared from the market. (Guess the cowboy shooters got them all.) Finally a Russian gun came along that I liked. EAA Baikal "Bounty Hunter II." Could do without the name on the receiver but otherwise it is actually a nice gun. Darn decent wood. Short little thing. I keep it loaded but on top of a china cabinet in a cover where a bad guy would probably never even see it. Feel good knowing it is there as a last ditch ace in the hole.

Now I don't think it is the "ultimate combat shotgun." That would be my FN SLP I just got this month!

Gregg

bilyspit
May 21, 2007, 03:44 PM
Anyone ever heard of training classes in the use of coach guns for HD?

I remember reading an article by Jeff Cooper a couple of years ago in which he suggested the use of coach guns for HD. If I remember correctly, his argument was, short and quick handling, exposed hammers (exposed safetys), two quick shots with no action to cycle between those shots, and lastly, easy to use. If training was offered, I would consider it.

I currently keep the "cheap" 870 express 18.5 inch, dead stock, loaded with 00. But, I haven't trained with it yet. I plan on training this summer with one of the local outfits.

seeker_two
May 21, 2007, 04:20 PM
Easy to use/learn....short enough to maneuver indoors....can't "short-shuck"...no feeding/ejection problems....easy to pack in a duffle bag w/ a bandolier for trips....can use one-handed (if brave enough)....

That's why I have one as my main SG... :cool:

ace1001
July 17, 2007, 02:46 PM
Go outside, point in a safe direction and tap those hammers with a stick. BANG! When I was a child there were many old men missing fingers where they tried to catch a falling double. I want the tube empty and the mag full. If my mag spring gets weak, I'll buy another spring. Hasn't been a problem yet. Ace

Slopemeno
July 17, 2007, 07:49 PM
FWIW, I left a Mossberg 500 8-shot loaded for about 18 years. No problems to speak of, other than a slightly tired magazine spring.

b00
July 17, 2007, 08:15 PM
The myth of springs going dead need to come to an end. It was a problem with poorly made flat springs. Decent flat springs or coil spring will not go flat if they are not over compressed which any properly designed arm should not have them in over compression when cocked. Almost any non hammer firearm is stored cocked if you do not snap them off, so if this was a problem all of these guns would be junk. The truth is it is not a problem.

greyeyezz
July 17, 2007, 09:01 PM
My Stevens 311A 16ga loaded with #1 buck is my bedside companion. With a maglite mounted underneath and five more rounds on the stock i feel safe. It patterns very well at 15 yrds too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/greyeyezz/311.jpg

Deaf Smith
July 17, 2007, 09:33 PM
My dream house scatter gun is like this:

18 inch double barrel shotgun with ejectors (NOT EXTRACTORS), stainless, polymer stock, REGULATED BARRELS, tang safety, forend with embedded Surefire or Streamlight (like they have on the 870 Wilson custom shotguns), and a 4 round side saddle on the off side (reversiable for left handed users.)

Backed by your favorite hogleg. When there is a bump in the night you have an awsome investigative tool to check things out with.

pjn003
July 17, 2007, 11:55 PM
Maybe i am missing the point, but wouldnt you rather have an over/under for hd? I mean, there is only one trigger and you could probably get those shots off faster. Or atleast, it would be the same, right?

Dave Markowitz
July 18, 2007, 08:42 AM
Maybe i am missing the point, but wouldnt you rather have an over/under for hd? I mean, there is only one trigger and you could probably get those shots off faster. Or atleast, it would be the same, right?

Everything else being equal, a double with two triggers will be more reliable. No worries about the trigger failing to reset for the second shot.

Ocraknife
July 18, 2007, 09:55 AM
Everything else being equal, a double with two triggers will be more reliable. No worries about the trigger failing to reset for the second shot.

Plus, if you have to faceoff aganist sasquatch you can fire both barrels at the same time.:D

greyeyezz
July 18, 2007, 05:28 PM
;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/greyeyezz/311a.jpg

seeker_two
July 18, 2007, 06:42 PM
greyeyezz: Just how did you get your hands on MY scattergun???? :p

Except for the light, mine is set up the same way. How did you attach the light? :cool:

45Marlin carbine
July 18, 2007, 07:52 PM
I thought you had slipped into my house whilst I was out, but my SXS is still there leaned in the corner by my bed along with the Makarov under my pillows.

RevolverLover
July 18, 2007, 09:14 PM
Except for the light, mine is set up the same way. How did you attach the light?

Looks like black zip-ties. ;)

Deaf Smith
July 18, 2007, 10:39 PM
Greyeye's shotgun looks good. But how about getting a AR-15 rail and attaching it under the stock to hold a surefire light (like the ones that go on Glocks.) That way you can get a powerful light under those barrels. Even add a pressuer switch.

greyeyezz
July 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
Zip ties pulled tight. A Streamlight TL-2 is going on next.

Deaf Smith
July 19, 2007, 08:17 PM
Oh, but a LTR-2.. with laser, would be so much cooler. And sight that laser to hit dead into the middle of the blast at 10 yards. Ouch!

akr
July 20, 2007, 07:41 AM
Those shotguns are fine, but my preference is the reliable pump. Remember, an intruder is likely to have a shotgun himself. :)

BobAsh
July 20, 2007, 08:13 AM
My preference is a Saiga-12 SBS...take your pick!
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x8/BobAsh_album/8inchSaiga12.jpg

akr
July 20, 2007, 08:17 AM
That'll work, too. :)

akr
July 20, 2007, 09:20 AM
delete

greyeyezz
July 20, 2007, 03:02 PM
But all those Saiga' s put together don't have the character of 'Stevie'.:p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/greyeyezz/P1010219.jpg

akr
July 20, 2007, 04:32 PM
That's right!! I like Stevie. I wish he was mine. ;)

greyeyezz
July 20, 2007, 04:38 PM
That would be a 'she'.:cool:

akr
July 20, 2007, 05:04 PM
Whups!! Sorry!! I wish SHE were mine. :o

V4Vendetta
July 20, 2007, 07:44 PM
I went ahead & got a 870 just so you folks know.:o

FS2K
July 20, 2007, 10:05 PM
In fact I am still toying with the idea of getting a Stoger coach gun for my shop.

akr
July 20, 2007, 10:36 PM
You made the best choice, Vendetta, in my opinion.

Deaf Smith
July 20, 2007, 10:47 PM
Good choice V4Vendetta.

Mine is a Marine Magnum. 4 shot tac-star side saddle and Vang speed safety. Didn't change anything else (but I do hanker for the 618FGA Surefire forend light!)

V4Vendetta
July 20, 2007, 10:50 PM
Mine is the Express Magnum version with magazine extention. I have 6 in tube plus 1 in chamber with 18" barrell.