PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a bow maker....

FirstFreedom
May 6, 2007, 11:34 PM
A couple years back I found a website of a certain bow manufacturer which I cannot remember the name of, and which I cannot seem to locate anywhere by keywords and searching forums & such. Maybe they went out of business, but maybe not.

Anyway, it was a really unique design of a bow - far far shorter axle to axle than most bows, but with a much longer draw length than would look like it would be capable of. It basically looked like a tiny small child's bow, but which pulled back to full adult draw length, and otherwise works like any other bow. At full draw, it looks like a diamond stretched left to right - the riser was short, IIRC, and the limbs angled sharply back at 45 degrees or more before the draw even.

Anyone know which bow I'm talking about? Thanks for your help.

FirstFreedom
May 6, 2007, 11:39 PM
Nevermind; Found it; Liberty Archery:

http://www.libertyarchery.com/

FirstFreedom
May 7, 2007, 05:26 PM
Sorry to keep replying to myself, but is anyone else besides me intrigued with this bow? Read the pages there on Specifications, Design History, and the Testimonials (some of which are actual photocopies of customer's comments on the warranty registration cards), and tell me what you think.

Aside from the obvious huge advantage of size & weight savings (easier to shoot in a blind, easier to shoot sitting down, easier to shoot in and among tree branches, much lighter & easier to tote around long distances, etc.), they are purported to be extremely accurate, as well as quiet, smooth, improved letoff % (85%), and "recoil-less". Drawback is that very few standard accessories fit it without modification - you need sights made for it, a peep made just for it, etc. OK, you can use standard arrows though, thankfully.

SavageSniper
May 7, 2007, 07:13 PM
Wow, its a bullpup bow. Looks very interesting. Have you ever seen or shot one before?

FirstFreedom
May 8, 2007, 10:32 AM
bullpup bow

hee, hee....didn't think of that. Nope, never shot one or even seen in person, but I have a phone message in to one of the few stocking retailers - one of whom happens to leave here in my state. Want to go handle them.

FirstFreedom
May 8, 2007, 11:50 PM
Hey I talked to the guy today and I may go down Friday to handle them - the dealer is in a town that is only an hour and 15 minute drive from me. He says he's sold a lot of them, and that they shoot great. He says they're becoming more popular and made the statement that "on the West coast, these outsell Matthews by four to one, and on the East coast, they outsell Matthews two to one." That's the allegation, anyhow...

Playboypenguin
May 8, 2007, 11:54 PM
Just do like I do and swallow about 800mg of ibuprofen before going to the range.

FirstFreedom
May 9, 2007, 07:55 AM
Did you reply to the wrong thread, PP? Cuz I don't get it.

Playboypenguin
May 9, 2007, 11:27 AM
Did you reply to the wrong thread, PP? Cuz I don't get it.
I did...that was supposed to go in the "tennis elbow from shooting" thread.
Still, it is good advice for bow hunting too. :D

samoand
May 10, 2007, 08:45 PM
Interesting. Angle of the fully drawn string seems so sharp that I wonder if you can use it without release. Can you check that if you do go? Just curious.

zeisloft
May 10, 2007, 09:27 PM
Yea, looks like you could only use a string loop. let us know what you think. I'm not in the market...yet. I have been shooting a MQ1 since 98 and it has not made me sad once. But I'm always curious about the better mouse trap.
~z

samoand
May 15, 2007, 01:52 PM
So... did you go? What do you think?

FirstFreedom
May 15, 2007, 05:46 PM
Hey guys...no, not yet...my assistant scheduled an appt for me Fri morning so couldn't go - I'm trying to get down there this Thurs instead - we'll see. I'll let you know. I'm leaning toward actually getting one if I try it out and it shoots nicely for me. I'm pumped - it's gonna be super cool if it performs as advertised. The main thing is bulk & weight savings - shooting around limbs from a tree, shooting while seated, inside a blind, etc.

I will check on shooting fingers - I doubt that that would work very well. I'd imagine you could shoot either with OR without loop though, with a release. I use a release unless I'm shooting a long bow or recurve. I put in for 4 traditional-bow-only controlled hunts for this fall here at the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (AAP). If I get drawn for any of them, I will be practicing a lot with my long bow between now and then. But that's another subject as the Liberty is a compound, and those aren't allowed on the AAP hunts:

http://www.mcaapcontrolledhunts.com/

ZeroJunk
May 15, 2007, 06:04 PM
It will be good to get a perspective from somebody known to not have any vested interest.Shorter bows are obviously easier to deal with,especially on horseback.I hated getting on a horse in the dark with a bow strapped across your back.You turn it straight to keep it from hitting limbs and stuff on the sides and then it starts goosing the horse in the rump, which he will eventually remind you that he doesn't like. The complaint has always been that they are less forgiving and limit your choice of release.Look forward to your review.

samoand
May 15, 2007, 08:40 PM
:d

bcarver
May 21, 2007, 03:39 AM
I was aiso intrigued.
Some one asked about finger shooting.
Owner suggest only loop with release.
Finger shooting voids warrenty.

Three thing I look for in a bow. 1.Weight,2. Length.3. Let-off
Liberty wins #1 hands down
#2 hands down
#3 5 percent ahead of most competition.
The only other points are noise and speed. Speed being the least important.
If it is a quiet as they say it is I will be in the market.

FirstFreedom
May 21, 2007, 09:36 PM
Three thing I look for in a bow. 1.Weight,2. Length.3. Let-off
Liberty wins #1 hands down
#2 hands down
#3 5 percent ahead of most competition.
The only other points are noise and speed. Speed being the least important.
If it is a quiet as they say it is I will be in the market.

ThisiswhatI'msayin.......

The history blurb there says that the early models were loud, but now they're quiet with a few engineering changes - I don't think they claim to be quieter than other bows; but just the same as other good bows on noise.

http://www.libertyarchery.com/specifications.html

http://www.libertyarchery.com/DesignHistory.html

http://www.libertyarchery.com/Accessories.html

http://www.libertyarchery.com/UserComments.html

SavageSniper
May 22, 2007, 05:49 PM
I read somewhere about a quiver for this bow. IMO, that would take away from the small package that appeals to me with this bow.

FirstFreedom
July 27, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, and besides, you only need one arrow 98% of the time, if you need any, that is.

I bumped this just to let y'all know (some have expressed interest) that this bow is the VERY next thing on my "to-buy" list, after getting my Sig GSR out of "hock" (layaway). I keep a running priority list on the puter of both things I want and necessity unusual expenses like car & home repairs, and this thing finally trickled its way to the top. So likely by the end of August, or mid-September at the latest I should have gotten one, tested it, and reported back here - just a heads up. I can't seem to get this bow out of my head, though (and thus off my list). :)

But PS, no, I still haven't even run down and handled one in person yet - have had a lot of turmoil in my life last 2 months.....

FirstFreedom
August 25, 2007, 06:31 PM
Finally got down today to the little town of Carnegie, Oklahoma, where Chuck at "Bubba's Sporting Goods" (really) showed me the bow - he had 4 in stock. I was very impressed - it was all I thought it would be. You wouldn't believe how tiny this bow is. I put one on layaway - a 29.3" draw, 60-70 lb one, which has been decked out with sights, quiver mount, peep sight, string silencers, and whisker biscuit. His liability insurance company made him shut down his indoor range, so I couldn't shoot it, but I did draw it 5 or 6 times. The 85% letoff is incredible - letting it up is a trick - walking a tightrope between letting up enough to let it release, without slingshotting your arm forward. I hope to get it home in a week or so, and practice enough with it to use by this fall.

Question: What type of fletching holds up best to the whisker biscuit - blazer vanes or what? What about goose feather arrows - will the biscuit shred them or not? Thanks.

Chuck has a picture on his "trophy board" of a friend of his that got two does in about 5 minutes with a liberty bow. He's a real good ol boy - call him if you have any questions about these bows - he's pretty knowledgeable, and has been in the sporting goods business a long time, and is an avid bowhunter himself. His contact info is on the Liberty website under Dealer Locator.

FirstFreedom
August 27, 2007, 12:34 PM
Oops, decided the 29.3" was too long; having them order a 28.0" Chuck says these things are going nuts, with calls from all over coming in.....

Savage, I agree - I won't be putting a quiver on mine. I'll just take my one arrow I'm hunting with, and throw one other spare arrow into some sort of quiver and put it in the backpack.

onlybrowning
August 28, 2007, 12:57 PM
Use a decent brand fletch (duravane, Blazer, etc) with the new Biscuit and don't worry. I have never had a vane be adversely affected by the new biscuit design. They are a great hunting rest. I wonder how the stability of the bow is in hand while shooting. Referring to the tiny axle to axle length.

FirstFreedom
August 28, 2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks, onlybrowning, that helps. But what exactly do you mean by "stability" in that context? Whether the bow jiggles/moves during the release? Would you be concerned about left-right, up-down, forward canting, yawing, or spinning movement, or all of the above? Why do you ask that?

Chuck says he sold 3 of the 4 Liberties he had in stock on Sunday.

I ordered the 65-75 #, 28.0" draw length. They have a 60-70 and a 65-75 both (and other weights as well), so went with the slightly higher in this range, since I keep my 60-70 Hoyt on at least 65 all the time now, and it's comfortable for me to shoot easily.

Bow Report

By Bill Krenz

Liberty I

Bowhunters have long been fascinated by short, light hunting bows.

Forty years ago, recurve hunting bows as short as fifty-two inches sold very well, and others that were even shorter were offered.
Short compounds have also long held appeal. There is no disputing the fact that for at least the past thirty years, popular compound
bows have been getting shorter. In 1985, the axle-to-axle length of the average compound bow was somewhere in the neighborhood
of forty-five inches. By 1995, the average compound length had shrunk to less than forty inches. Today, it seems to be hovering
between thirty-three and thirty-six inches. The three-decade progression to shorter and shorter compound bows is well established.

What is also well known is the history of indignation and alarm that has sounded as compounds bows have shrunk. Old-liners,
clinging to convention, have routinely condemned every shortening step along the way. I remember when compound lengths first
dipped into the low-forties. That seems long ago now, but back then detractors roared that such “short” compounds could never be
shot accurately. Bowhunters bought those bows and loved them anyway.

The exact same thing happened when compounds plunged with abandon below the forty-inch mark and then the thirty-five inch mark.
The howls of protest and righteous anger sounded loud and clear. “Those bows can’t be accurate.”

Yet the march continued and bows did go shorter. And deer, bears, elk and more all continued to fall.

I recently tested a radical new compound hunting bow called the Liberty I. Remarkably, the Liberty I measures just over twenty inches
axle to axle. Yes, you read that right––twenty inches! It also weighs a scant 2.3 pounds, making it the shortest, lightest adult
compound bow available at this time. In fact, it’s over a foot shorter and nearly two pounds lighter than most of today’s compound
hunting bows.

Initial reactions to the Liberty I are boringly predictable. I’ve shown my Liberty I sample to a variety of bowhunters. The first reaction is
typically one of disbelief. “Is this for real?” The second reaction is one of unbridled fascination. It’s hard to get the Liberty I out of their
hands. Sometime after that, the old biases pop predictably up. “It can’t shoot all that well. It’s definitely cool, but isn’t it too short?”

The Liberty I is an amazing bow. It’s space-age, high-tech and unquestionably far out. Its axle-to-axle length is a good eight inches
shorter than the length of my normal hunting arrows. Yet, surprisingly, the Liberty I shoots amazingly well. I must admit that I was
surprised at just how fast and accurate the Liberty I performs. But on top of all that, the Liberty I is just plain cool.

One friend called it the coolest bow he’d ever shot. That sums up the Liberty I better than more words ever could.

KEY SELLING POINTS

Astonishingly Short
At just 20.5 inches axle-to-axle, the Liberty I is a compound bow venturing off into uncharted but exciting territory. Think about just
how short that is. It’s the length of three dollar bills and two quarters laid end to end. It’s five four-inch vanes. It’s just a bit taller than a
LaCrosse rubber boot. It’s compact with a capital “C.” It’s bold to the point of being almost electrifying. Hang one up in any archery
shop in the country and I guarantee it will be the topic of conversation.

“My intent was to create a very small, lightweight hunting package,” says Howard Winther, the bow’s designer and manufacturer. “I
wanted a bow that I could hook onto my backpack and not even feel it as I hiked along. I was looking for a bow that would fit into the
corner of my car truck and carry anywhere.”

The heart of the Liberty I design is its phantom shoot-through riser. The riser and limb pockets combined only measure a bit over four
inches in height. From profile, it’s almost as if a riser doesn’t exist. When you get behind the bow to shoot it, however, the true nature
of the Liberty I’s riser emerges and a generous 2.5-inch wide shoot-through gap becomes evident. That gap is artfully curved and
ruggedly designed.

Amazingly Light
By almost totally eliminating the length and mass of a conventional compound bow riser, the Liberty I is rendered astonishingly short
and amazingly light in weight. On my scale, the Liberty I weighed just 2.3 pounds. Blend 20.5 inches in length with 2.3 pounds and
you have a compound bow that carries like no full-power compound bow you have ever picked up. Strap it onto your daypack (or
maybe even put it inside a bigger pack), hook it to your belt or just carry it in your hand. The Liberty I rides like it’s not there.

Balanced Split-Cam Design
Perfectly complementing the bow’s shoot-through riser design is its split cam design. In effect, each skeletonized cam is over an inch
wide. That extra width creates a balanced spread between the bow’s two sets of cables that is over 1.5 inches wide at the bow’s
center. An arrow is nocked and shot between those sets of metal cable, as well as between the bow’s limbs and through the bow’s
riser. It’s a riser-limb-eccentric system with excellent balance.

Erogometric Angled Cushion Grip
To keep the inside cable set from hitting your bow arm, The Liberty I features a well-shaped grip that’s angled at a pleasing twenty-
nine degrees. That angle moves your bow arm out, as well as comfortably positioning your bow hand. I shot the Liberty I without an
armguard and never experienced a problem.

Surprising Performance
The Liberty I sports an aggressive eccentric system that delivers surprising arrow speed. See the Real Performance chart. Because
of its ultra-short length, string angle at full draw is acute with the Liberty I. That means that a D-loop is a must and a special peep is
also needed. I used a camo cord D-Loop tied in place and an index-finger caliper release with excellent results. I also used a tethered
peep sight designed specifically for the Liberty I and available from Liberty Archery. That special peep sight is available in three hole-
sizes.

Because of the nature of the bow, Liberty Archery suggests that a total-containment arrow rest or a total-containment drop-away rest
be used with the Liberty I. I used a standard Whisker Biscuit arrow rest and it worked perfectly. Built into the front of my sample
Liberty I was a Vital Bow Gear three-pin fiber optic sight. It’s a light, tough sight that works like a charm with the Liberty I. A bowquiver-
mounting bracket is also cleverly integrated into the bow’s diminutive riser.

The acute full-draw string angle took a bit of getting used to as it related to my usual anchor point, but in short order I was drilling
softball-sized groups at 40 yards on a windy day. The Liberty I shoots.

CLOSING THE SALE

This ultra-short, ultra-light hunting bow really is cool, and I’d present it to customers just that way. The Liberty I measures an ultra-
short 20.5 inches axle to axle and weighs just a bit over two pounds. Hand it to most customers and they’ll immediately recognize the
handling and carrying benefits. It’s also a bow that shoots with surprising speed and accuracy.

The new Liberty I will likely be among the coolest new bows for 2005 that you or your customers will ever shoot. Circle #245.

Liberty 1

Manufacturer Liberty Archery
Santa Clara, CA
(408) 988-1127
Circle #245

Model Liberty I
Axle-to-Axle Length 20.5 inches
Brace Height 7 inches
Mass Weight 2.3 pounds
Draw Weights 50#, 60#, 70#, 80#
Draw Lengths 26.35 to 32 inches
Eccentrics High-Speed, Split-Cable Cams
Letoff 85 percent
Grip Erogometric Angled Cushion Grip
Finish Realtree Hardwoods Green HD

FirstFreedom
August 28, 2007, 10:39 PM
http://www.libertyarchery.com/UserComments.html

http://www.libertyarchery.com/UserComments2.html

http://www.libertyarchery.com/UserComments3.html

http://www.libertyarchery.com/UserComments4.html

Samoand, look at what the website says about drawing with fingers:

STRING ANGLE WARNING
Friends will pick up your bow and try to draw it with there fingers. When they do this the string angle pinches their
fingers and causes extreme pain. Some in this situation just let go and dry fire the bow, others try to let the bow back
down and because of the pain twist the bow severely; consequently cutting the string or derailing the cables. It is very
sad to go on a hunt with your friends and you best buddy ruins your only bow. If your friends want to test the bow,
have them shoot it with a release. Prevent this situation by keeping the bow in the carry case.

PULLING THIS BOW WITH FINGERS VOIDS WARRANTY
This warning is on the invoice and the instruction sheet.

Yet, oddly enough, I pulled it back with fingers 5 or 6 times and didn't feel any pain. My fingers were a bit scrunched, so it would be hard to get a smooth release, so I'm going to use a mechanical release, not fingers, but finger shooting *could* be done in a pinch - get it, pinch?

FirstFreedom
September 5, 2007, 09:02 AM
Bow came to the dealer by brown truck of happiness today; Picking it up this Saturday. With any luck, I can post pics and possible report on Sat or Sun. :)

davlandrum
September 5, 2007, 12:02 PM
Interesting bow, just not for me. I shoot a release for some of the 1990's and went back to fingers. For me, mostly still-hunting, it is just a lot more practical.

My elk trip this year, I could have not carried any arrows and done just as well....

But I am curious when everyone talks about taking just one arrow, how are you carrying that one arrow and getting it into your stand?

The arrow shoots between the cables?? How quick do you think you could load an arrow in a pinch with the pressure on?

ZeroJunk
September 5, 2007, 12:56 PM
Reminds me of a hunt in Holly Shelter several years ago with a friend who was terrible with a bow.He shot his four arrows missing each time,climbed out of his stand retreived a couple and finally killed a little buck on his sixth shot.

davlandrum
September 5, 2007, 01:42 PM
ZJ - I used to (key words) hunt with a guy who practically bragged about running out of arrows on a Utah muley hunt, so always carried the biggest quiver he could find - like 12 arrows at a time.

FirstFreedom
September 5, 2007, 03:54 PM
If you need more than two, you're probably doing something wrong, and if you need more than three, you're definitely doing something wrong. IMO.

The one arrow I carry loaded into the bow on the way to the stand/hunt location, stalk hunting along the way. No real need for a quiver, but I admit I would like have at least a second arrow on me, in case I shoot at a turkey. Whether I hit it or not, I don't want to go down and retrieve the arrow/turkey during prime time, when a deer could come along.

As far as the quickness in loading up a second arrow, that is a good point davlandrum; it will be slow & cumbersome a bit with the Liberty - it's a tradeoff.

dav, let's hear the details of the elk hunt this year....

davlandrum
September 6, 2007, 12:56 PM
FF - as a bow hunting education instructor, I can't endorse walking with an arrow loaded. A broadhead has no safety. One slip can be fatal. At a minimum I would suggest a single holder that they make for traditional bows, but I think they are only designed for 2-blade broadheads.

FirstFreedom
September 7, 2007, 08:44 AM
Hmm, then how do you stalk-hunt? And the broadhead is pointed away from you, not at you. If you're using a whisker biscuit, that arrow would be *awfully* hard-pressed to go 180 degrees and stick you through the middle, regardless of how awkwardly you fell. I guess it *could* be potentially dangerous, though...

Anyhoo, this time tomorrow morning I'll be driving down to pick it up - I haven't been this pumped about an acquisition in a few years. :p

davlandrum
September 7, 2007, 10:47 AM
FF - I stalk hunt with all arrows in a quiver on my bow. Arrow comes out of the quiver when I am ready to shoot.

Sorry, but the 180 degrees and whisker biskit logic doesn't work. If you trip hard enough to drop your bow, the arrow does not have to come out of the biskit to be deadly. Also, is the blade really 180 degrees from you? I know walking in the woods, I move my bow around a lot to manuever. Remember, broadheads kill by cutting cleanly and making you bleed. Bump that broadhead anywhere on your body and things can get real serious real fast.

Think of it in terms of a rifle. The muzzle is pointed 180 degrees from you and something would have to pull the trigger, but you still keep the safety on until you are ready to shoot, right?

Accidents, by their nature, are rare. Do we really need to put on seat belts when driving, since we don't get in accidents everyday (at least I hope not?)? Do we really need to get our bow or gun or bow up and down from a tree stand with a rope, since we won't drop it everytime?

I served with a guy in Louisianna that got lazy and carried his shotgun (with slugs) down out of his stand instead of lowering it. Cost him his leg.

Obviously, as a licensed hunter and an adult, you can make your own choice. It is just totally against any hunter safety logic I have ever heard or taught.

Have fun with the new bow and give us a report when you can!

FirstFreedom
September 8, 2007, 07:20 PM
dav, I see what you're saying, but it seems just as likely that you would slip and fall off a cliff in steep terrain as to have an arrow turn on you and slice you up seriously or fatally, assuming you exercise reasonable care. I don't know how one could pull an arrow from a quiver without being seen or heard by the game. I have stalk hunted with a bow many times (never successfully), and it would be a sheer miracle to get within bow range without being seen or heard, and that's walking and a draw only - I cannot imagine how you could get an arrow from a quiver, with all the movement that that entails, in addition to walking/drawing. But then again, I'm essentially a novice hunter in the grand scheme, so I dunno. In any event, stalk hunting would be more safe with this bow than with others, since the arrow is *between* the limbs, as well as in the whisker biscuit.

Back to the subject at hand, got the bow right here by me - brought it home today! :D In two words, this bow is *JACKED. UP*! In a very cool way. :) Came with peep sight, tube for straightening the peep, 2 other peep sight sizes (so you have small, medium, and large peeps), whisker biscuit, 3-pin FO sight (pretty basic/crappy sight though), a quiver mount, cable silencers, and string silencers. Plus it has a 5-year warranty, good documentation, and a pretty nice soft-sided custom case (foam-lined). When carrying the case with the bow in it, I swear it feels like the case is empty. As I say, got the 28.0" draw length (actually, it says 27.95"), and a 65-75 lb draw weight. Haven't shot it yet, but I will definitely post pics of it and groups at a later date. I drew it back another 4 or 5 times in the store to check the sight alignment etc. before paying it off.

P.S. My Sooners kicked some Hurricane rear today. :)

P.P.S. Since I have an important traditional-only controlled hunt on Nov. 2 which is very hard to get drawn for, and since my skill is still poor with the recurve with no sights, I'm going to hunt with and practice with my recurve only between now and then (for the most part), so I doubt I'll have a *thorough* review until mid to late November. But at a minimum, I will post pics of the bow itself.

Trapp
September 8, 2007, 07:28 PM
you need to hurry up already!! I've been watching this thread forever.....

FirstFreedom
September 9, 2007, 10:26 AM
Patience, my friend. We're getting there - making progress. Least I have the bow now! :p :)

P.S. Yesterday after drawing the new bow a few times and then shooting several dozen shots from my recurve I was getting sharp pains in my shoulder later in the evening - looks like my previous shoulder dislocation from hockey is not fully healed - dunno what the deal is - I sure hope this doesn't persist or I will have wasted my money on this thing, if I have to get a doc's clearance and go to x-bows. Bah....

FirstFreedom
September 11, 2007, 11:03 AM
Here ya go...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26763&d=1189526627

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26764&d=1189526627

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26765&d=1189526627

Trapp
September 11, 2007, 01:38 PM
Do you have any comparison pics? It would be nice to see how it compares to a regular bow or other things.

ZeroJunk
September 11, 2007, 02:46 PM
Wow.A slingshot on steroids.

I'm just messin with ya.Bet it will be a joy to carry compared to a traditional bow.

Check out those hip quivers if you want to carry extra arrows.

FirstFreedom
September 12, 2007, 10:35 AM
Size comparison pic:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26788&stc=1&d=1189611224

In addition to the Liberty, in the pic, there is a 60" PSE recurve and a 41.5" axle-to-axle Hoyt Compound.

ZJ, yes, I want to get one of the belt quivers; that'd be perfect. Slingshot on steroid, hee hee.

davlandrum
September 12, 2007, 11:26 AM
FF -Which Hoyt is that? I am possibly considering a new bow (don't tell my wife, please!!!!)

FirstFreedom
September 12, 2007, 12:33 PM
Dave, that is a 99 Hoyt Aspen with Carbonite limbs. It's rather compact. It has a 60-70 lb draw, with an adjustable draw length from 26" to 30", and it is currently set at 27" (IINM; may be set at 28"). It has BRAND NEW string & cables & string silencers, which I just spent about $100 on IIRC - hasn't even been shot yet with the new string. I killed a deer last year with it - the one and only deer I've ever shot with a bow.

The reason I mention all this is because I *may* be willing to part with it cheap after I test the new Liberty and make sure it works well for me. The Hoyt bow has a quiver mount & quick release quiver, an adjustable spring-loaded arrow rest, a very nice Copper John Dead nuts sight (with 3 or 5 extra pins to go with it), limb dampeners, etc. The only thing "wrong" with the bow is that there is some rust on the screws that hold the rubber grip onto the riser, and elsewhere in a few places on some allen screws. You may want to put new clean screws in some places.

The bow shoots very well for me. I even have some arrows that shoot well with it, if you are interested in arrows - they are Easton 10.0 gpi, 29" 340 flex carbon shafts with inserts, nocks, and 4" QuickSpin vanes. I recently cranked the draw weight on the bow up to its max (70 lbs).

If I told your wife anything, it'd just be about how much you were able to save the marital household by the great deal you got. :)

davlandrum
September 12, 2007, 01:14 PM
FF - Keep me in mind. I am also looking at buying another recurve to start back down that path...

As hard as it is to explain having many rifles to the wife, explaining many bows is even harder...but luckily I have developed a pretty good line of BS that works - or at least she is nice enough to pretend it works.

FirstFreedom
September 12, 2007, 03:29 PM
P.S. On that Hoyt model, they don't make it anymore - I think it was discontinued in '00 or 01, so you probably won't find too much about it. Good bow however. I bought that bow brand new in the summer of 2004 - yes, it had sat on the shelf in the sporting goods store for 5 years. :eek: The price with quiver and all was marked $700, then marked out with $350 beside it, then again marked out with $175 on it, so I snapped it up. I hunted with it for 3 years, and then as I say, have put a new string/cables on it in July or August 2007.

FirstFreedom
September 16, 2007, 09:45 PM
Shot the Liberty. Flies true like a dart, very fast. Quite pleased. Needs more testing though.

FirstFreedom
September 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
Ok, shot it for the 1st time today (well, I shot 2 shots only a couple weeks back, but today first real practice session).

Lemme tell you, this bow shoots like a house afire!

First off, in the 1st 10 minutes just warming up before I had a chance to move my sights, I got an inkling the bow was consistent when this happened at 15.5 yards:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27265&d=1191113057

2nd time this year I've doubled up. :mad: :p

So I quickly started shooting to different targets with each shot, and after about an hour of practice, I was doing this, again, at 15.5 yards:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27264&d=1191113057

Not incredible, but I'm pretty sure the misses are me, not the bow.

So I cannot tell you how pleased I am. This bow is incredibly light and small, and shoots like it going out of style. VERY fast too - I'm gonna have to chrono to find out for sure, but the arrows get to the target nearly instantly. And these are 10.0 gpi arrows - roughly 490 grains total weight. They are Easton carbons, roughly .303", with 4" Quik-Spin vanes and 100 gr field points.

On the Quik-Spins: Yes, the fletchings quickly "wrinkled up" from going through the biscuit, as you can see in the picuture there - BUT, wrinkled or not wrinkled, they shot very well. The arrows fly straight & true, like a dart. They thump hard, penetrating the will-stop target deeply. The bow seems relatively quiet and completely vibration-free. Not much more you can ask for in a bow.

I will say this one caveat about the Liberty: Due to the rubbery handle set back from the riser (which creates a levering effect to the riser), ANY twist to your grip that twists the bow left or right will affect your shot, and it's easy to do. But, OTOH, due to cables being on BOTH sides of the string, it's easy to visually see that you're doing this and re-align. You have to use a loose grip on the handle so as not to twist it, then it shoots fine - a tad more important on this issue than with other bows.

Highly recommended - so who else is gonna get a liberty? :D :p

FirstFreedom
September 30, 2007, 08:42 AM
Going to Bass Pro Shops in 1 hour to shoot/chrono this thing. :)

FirstFreedom
September 30, 2007, 06:15 PM
We hit a bump in the road - don't go run out and buy one just yet. Bit of a manufacturing flaw/defect discovered.

The top left limb is just a tad "lower" - bows out less than the top right. This causes the top cam to tilt left which is exacerbated with the draw. This offset cam in turn causes the cam stop/cable stop arms coming off the cam to "miss" the cables - it slips by allowing you to draw too far if you're not careful. It clicks when it does this as the arm slips by the cable. So bad limb situation by maybe 1/8". It's got a full lifetime warranty, so I'll be sending back under warranty service.

Probably want to wait & see whether they make this right before jumping in - though I'm sure they will (I hope so anyway).

FirstFreedom
September 30, 2007, 07:44 PM
Hmmkay, now (when I draw straight back), the cable stop is working well to line up and stop the cam - it's about 4/5ths lined up and 1/5th off, but that 4/5ths is enough to make it catch in the groove on the arm and sink in good and tight. The cam is tilted ever so slightly - barely enough to notice. I think I was drawing cock-eyed previously to make the problem worse. So I'll probably wait until after this hunting season to send it in for warranty work, so it will be awhile before I can report back on warranty service. But I *will* be able to report back on hunting success, or lack thereof sooner.

Oh, on the chronograph:

-My heavier arrows, Easton 340 flex, 10.0 gpi, which weigh 485 grains total, shot 251 fps.

-My lighter arrows, Easton Epic 400 flex, 8.7 gpi, which weight 403 grains total, shot right at 270 fps.

So not just superfast..... This is a 65-75 lb bow, and I've not adjusted it, and I honestly don't know what it's set on, but judging by how it feels to pull it compared to my other bow, I'd guess that right now it's set in the 65-68 lb range.

More on performance: With those heavier arrows with the quik spins, outstanding accuracy. But with those lighter arrows with Blazer vanes, for some reason I get inconsistent accuracy - I'm getting vertical stringing with those, over 10-12" - needless to stay, I'm going to stick with the 340s/quik-spins.

FirstFreedom
October 1, 2007, 10:39 PM
That is flippin sweet, dude. Nice bow! :p

Yithian
October 2, 2007, 08:56 PM
LOL

You sold me on it long ago.
I just don't post since I can't even think about affording one for a long time.