PDA

View Full Version : Barney Fife...The Man and His Gun

Abndoc
April 26, 2007, 07:35 AM
I know this is silly, but as many times as I've watched those old Andy Griffith
reruns, and as many times as Barney has pulled his pistol and waved it in the air, I never noticed what he was carrying.

Does anybody know what pistol Deputy Fife carried?

And for all of you carrying uber mega round magazines, remember, Barney got the job done with just one bullet! So, I'm thinking it must have been a good one. :)

Castaway
April 26, 2007, 07:43 AM
My guess is it's a S&W M&P.

News Shooter
April 26, 2007, 07:46 AM
and apparently they used whatever was in the box that day. I don't think there was just one.

bdcbbq
April 26, 2007, 08:03 AM
And for all of you carrying uber mega round magazines, remember, Barney got the job done with just one bullet! So, I'm thinking it must have been a good one.

Don't forget that bullet was in his shirt pocket too.

Johnc
April 26, 2007, 08:14 AM
I just saw an episode on TV Land the other night. I always remembered him with a cartridge in his pocket. On this episode he was waiving his revolver around and had a ND into the floor. :eek: Even TV icons have ND's I guess.

BTW, what happened to clean shows like that? Man I must be getting old!

MDS
April 26, 2007, 08:33 AM
Model 10, Perhaps.

News Shooter
April 26, 2007, 08:37 AM
But I always belived Don Knotts was the most talented comedian ever in TV.
I know he won several Emmies but I was really disappointed when he died there wasn't a bigger outpouring and tribute in the media, flags at half-staff, etc.

He meant a lot to a lot of people:)

wolverine350
April 26, 2007, 09:20 AM
looked like the old taper barrel model 10

.45 Vet
April 26, 2007, 11:00 AM
Not a very good view of the gun, but a great shot of a fine gentleman.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/2Late45/Keepers047.jpg

Mike Irwin
April 26, 2007, 11:02 AM
Yep, it was whatever the prop department gave him.

Some days it was a Smith & Wesson, some days it was a Colt.

pesta2
April 26, 2007, 11:03 AM
I work in Morgantown, WV. His home city, we have the main street into the city named after him.

Doug.38PR
April 26, 2007, 11:15 AM
Usually I see a Colt Official Police .38 Special (Post-War).
Occasionally I have seen a S&W M-10 4 inch.

http://members.cox.net/donknotts/knotts-crawling.jpg

Can't tell what it is in this picture

On this episode he was waiving his revolver around and had a ND into the floor. Even TV icons have ND's I guess.

In his case, every other episode. With Andy then extending the palm of his hand for barney to hand it to him and keep it until Barney learned to keep it unloaded

AngusPodgorney
April 26, 2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah, it seems to me Andy was anti-gun!

Majic
April 26, 2007, 12:01 PM
Sometimes it was a M&P, but most of the time it was a Colt OP.

brj
April 26, 2007, 12:06 PM
How many times did Barney accidentally fire his gun?
Number of times Barney accidentally fired his pistol: 11

3 into courthouse floor: epilogue of "The Big House" after Gomer breaks glass in bookcase; at the end of his speech to the three deputies in "Guest of Honor;" and beginning of "Andy and the Gentleman Crook."

1 into courthouse ceiling: beginning of "A Medal for Opie"

2 into the air: before actual start of race in "A Medal for Opie" -- don't remember a second time

1 into Andy's front porch: while demonstrating gun safety to Tray Bowden in "Andy and Opie's Pal"

1 into a rear tire of squad car: epilogue of "Lawman Barney"

1 into the side of Andy's desk in "The Inspector"

1 into the ground in epilogue of "The Perfect Female"

1 through the seat of his pants in "If I Had a Quarter-Million" (in Barney's bedroom, if I recall)

Daayum Barney !!

Archie
April 26, 2007, 03:24 PM
Don Knotts was an excellent commedian. I still remember him from the old Steve Allen "Tonight" show, doing "Man on the Street" interviews. He was a pretty tough human being, too. He fought macular degeneration in later life and keep on doing what he did.

Barney was a pretty good cop. He had compassion and really cared about things. Even if he wasn't always as humble as he ought to be and even if he wasn't the world's best gun handler. (Bang! Darn!)

As mentioned, Barney's gun was a prop room special. Always a revolver, I once spotted a six-inch Colt Official Police, and at least once a four-inch S&W Military and Police - or model 10 in later form.

And one round of 158 grain, round nosed lead 'halt or I'll dent your paint' ammo in the breast pocket of his uniform.

Johnc
April 26, 2007, 05:16 PM
I bet Abndoc didn't think this thread would get this much mileage, or head in this direction. We must all be old!!

Any you thought it was a silly question!

Taxidermist
April 26, 2007, 07:33 PM
Thank God for reruns so we can still see Barney. I'm buying the series on dvd.
Let's not forget his movies.

The ghost and Mr. Chicken

The shakiest gun in the west

The reluctant astronaught

I know there are more but in these you can really see alot of ole Barney in the character.

John

badbob
April 26, 2007, 07:48 PM
Thank God for reruns so we can still see Barney. I'm buying the series on dvd.
Let's not forget his movies.

The ghost and Mr. Chicken

The shakiest gun in the west

The reluctant astronaught

I know there are more but in these you can really see alot of ole Barney in the character.

Let's not forget "The Apple Dumpling Gang".

badbob

Slopemeno
April 26, 2007, 08:52 PM
God, the Reluctant Astronaut is hilarious..

"You, uh, dont want your blood boilin' when your doin' space stuff"

Comedian Tom Poston tells a story of one time on, I believe, the Steve Allen Show, the cast got Don a stripper for his birthday. The stripper went into his dressing room a few minutes before he went on stage. Done rushed out to do his bits, and then hurried back to his dressing room.

Where are you headed in such a rush?" he was asked

"I'm headed back to my dressing room"

The group laughed and said, "Don, she left an hour ago"

"I'm headin back there anyways..."

BerettaBuckeye
April 27, 2007, 06:18 AM
The Incredible Mr. Limpet:D

ferretray
April 27, 2007, 04:20 PM
For some reason I seem to remember Barney naming his revolver Betty.
I truly admired Don Knotts. I wish I could of met the man. Is it true he was a former Marine?
If he could'nt make you laugh there is no hope for ya'.

rcupka
April 27, 2007, 04:33 PM
I don't think Andy was anti-gun. In one episode Andy, Barney and two womon were having a shooting contest with long guns and Andy was well practiced. I always figured him as someone who returned from WWII or Korea that had seen enough action and knew how to use a firearm when he had to, but tried other means first.

Pilot
April 27, 2007, 06:36 PM
Don Knotts was a class act and a damn fine comedic actor. The only 60's TV star to have more ND's the Barney was Tim Conway as Ensign Parker on McHales Navy. Always shooting that .45.

kametc
April 27, 2007, 07:04 PM
Don't forget Don Knotts the heavily decorated WWII Veteran, Pacific Campaign. 4 years I believe. Makes his character even better does'nt it?

Abndoc
April 27, 2007, 07:18 PM
And quite the ladies man too. I guess some books can't be judged by their cover.

Sgt127
April 27, 2007, 10:25 PM
Sorry to burst anyones bubble, but, Don Knotts was indeed in the military, but served as an entertainer for the troops. Not to tak anything away from him. He had a skill and used it well, bolstering the troops morale in wartime is important, as is cooking and keeping the engines running on the transport trucks. Check Snopes if you want other illusions crushed:)

As an aside, I check some Cop boards regularly, Don Knotts received almost as much praise as Officers when he passed away. He left a legacy, what more can you ask?

Mike Irwin
April 28, 2007, 03:52 PM
Yep, Knotts was assigned to the Special Service Branch.

The connections he made in the SSB helped him break into show business after he graduated from college after the war.

According to IMDB, these are his WW II decorations:

"Veteran of the Second World War who was awarded the World War II Victory Medal, Philippine Liberation Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (with 4 bronze service stars), Army Good Conduct Medal, Marksman Badge (with Carbine Bar) and Honorable Service Lapel Pin."

Let it Bleed
April 28, 2007, 05:18 PM
"Nip it in the bud!" "Nip it! Nip it! Nip it!"

"There once was a deputy called Fife,
Who carried a gun and a knife.
The gun was all dusty,
And his knife was all rusty,
Because he never caught a crook in his life."

:)

K.J.
April 28, 2007, 05:31 PM
I loved the character of Barney Fife. :)

Actually - just play along mentally a moment for fun - if their environment had been real then Andy and Barney were really good cops in that environment.

They kept the peace; they kept Otis from dying from exposure; and they managed to sweep up an occasional felon passing through. Andy's calmness perfectly balanced Barney's over-enthusiasm. Most important, they knew their territory and their people. There's a lesson in that if nothing else.

I never get tired of that show. :)

Number 6
April 28, 2007, 08:06 PM
As USPSA shooters know, while you may be limited to 10 rounds in your mag in certain divisions, a competitor is allowed to load a round into the chamber as well. Many will carry a mag with just one cartridge in it for that express purpose.

That cartridge is called the "Barney Bullet" in honor of Deputy Fife. :cool:

Bg357
April 29, 2007, 03:50 AM
Is it true he was a former Marine?

I've read that he served in the Army as part of a traveling GI variety show.

I've also read that he was awarded the World War II Victory Medal, Philippine Liberation Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (with 4 bronze service stars), Army Good Conduct Medal, Marksman Badge (with Carbine Bar) and Honorable Service Lapel Pin.

Not sure if both of these could be true, regardless, he was discharged with the rank of Technician Grade 5

FM12
May 1, 2007, 07:01 AM
Andy didnt carry a gun, according to an interview, simply because he didnt want the weight of the gun on his hip all the time. If you're lookin g for funny, watch Don and Tim Conway in "The Private Eyes". One of them invents a "time gun" that goes off at the top of the hour if you dont set the safety. Hilarious stuff. Filmed on lacation at the Vanderbilt Home in N.C.

tipoc
May 4, 2007, 06:51 PM
Based on my observations over the years I'd also say that Deputy Fife had a profound effect on gun handling and training for many law enforement agencies across the U.S.

tipoc