PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Vets - Taking Hunting

FirstFreedom
April 25, 2007, 09:14 AM
Wondering if anyone can give me a little guidance. Saw on the outdoor channel that certain people make it their hobby to take disabled folks hunting, particularly veterans, who otherwise wouldn't be able to go hunting. This really appeals to me, as I have access to a little land, and want to help out, particularly since there are *lots* of our veterans coming back from the current conflicts maimed & such.

So, my questions would be centered on how to go about getting started on this. What to say when approaching some group such as the DAV. What's a good approach? What other groups besides DAV should I contact? Etc. Anyone participated in this before?

Art Eatman
April 25, 2007, 09:46 AM
The folks at any American Legion or Veterans of Foreign Wars hall are probably in the position of knowing somebody who knows somebody. A flyer at such a place might bring a response. Same thing for gunshops: Flyers.

Art

fisherman66
April 25, 2007, 09:48 AM
That's a kind and wonderful idea. Is the land you are thinking about accessible to wheelchairs? or would it dictate full use of legs (not that there's a problem, but it should be determined now)? Your state's wildlife dept might be able to help too (and could use the good PR).

I recall reading an article about that not too long ago. I might be tempted to contact the author for information on how to identify an individual. I'm sorry, I don't remember where I read about it.

Smokey Joe
April 25, 2007, 10:28 AM
First Freedom--Good on you, wanting to help disabled hunters! As to advice on how to proceed, you might want to contact the United Foundation For Disabled Archers, aka UFFDA, which conducts archery hunts for the disabled in MN and WI.

Contact them and explain your intent; I expect you will be given good advice.

AZTOY
May 15, 2007, 07:46 PM
FirstFreedom

Thank You for wanting to help!!

http://www.pva.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sports_outdoor

FirstFreedom
May 16, 2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys - I want to get this going before this fall hopefully.... 'preciate the links/info.

ConcealCarryNY
May 16, 2007, 06:25 PM
This is an awesome idea.