PDA

View Full Version : How can I - unport - my ported barrel?

mcubed4130
April 9, 2007, 12:31 AM
Here's an interesting question. - ok, I think it's interesting anyway! ;)

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/mcubed4130/mcubed4130_mossberg_long_range.jpg

As noted above, the slug barrel I use is ported. Anyone have any nifty methods to get rid of this annoyance?

I'm tired of hitting my buddies on either side of me with spray (unless I remember to tell them to backup before I shoot).

Bolt on fake can or something? (mossberg 500 slug barrel - 12 gauge)

Thanks in advance.

-M3

quack fiend
April 9, 2007, 01:44 AM
have it cut off, or buy another barrel

Maser
April 9, 2007, 02:00 AM
Maybe spot weld pieces of sheet metal over the holes? I don't know. Interesting problem.

kozak6
April 9, 2007, 02:04 AM
have it cut off, or buy another barrel

Sounds about right. Just make sure your barrel is still at least 18" long if you chop it.

rog45us
April 9, 2007, 07:07 AM
Try moving your bipod up and cover the hole. Then you can a move it back when you want.

biglabsrule
April 9, 2007, 09:53 AM
well you could either tig/mig weld them closed but... you're going to have to file the inside of the barrel where the penetration occures, plus it will mess up the look totaly,

You could use a flap disk to take of the bead face but it'll never look quite right(factory new), even after rebluing it.

I'd say the only good fix is a new barrel, or hell buy a new gun ;p, can pick up a used wingmaster for 250 in great shape, can't go wrong there ..!!

ConcealCarryNY
April 9, 2007, 10:13 AM
Find a correct size piece of pipe cut in half weld some ears on then run some bolts to clamp it down over the holes. Maybe even blue it to make it look nice.

ebutler462
April 9, 2007, 10:25 AM
If it was mine I would soft solder the ports closed.

Redneckrepairs
April 9, 2007, 10:43 AM
I am not shure where the ports are on it , but most likely there is a threaded choke tube system out there that would extend back to cover them , just have it reamed and threaded for it and then with a cyllinder choke you have your slug gun , and with others more options open up .

Edited to add never mind lol or use a combo of cut down the tube and then choke it , Someday ill learn to let pics ect.. load before i shoot off my mouth lol .

ConcealCarryNY
April 9, 2007, 10:51 AM
Duct tape

Redneckrepairs
April 9, 2007, 10:58 AM
Duct tape

ROFLMAO

The thing is uppon thinking about this , it appears a couple of wraps of duct tape when you go to the range would actualy work and safely . I just cant get the image of a shotty all tricked out with " cowboy chrome " out of my head .. Now ill go see if i can mop the coffee out of the keyboard .

mcubed4130
April 9, 2007, 11:15 AM
[Eyeballing the duct tape on the table] - not sure if I could bring myself to do that... ;)

So.... Options I think are:

1. Buy a new 24" fully rifled barrel w/cantilever scope mount - but no porting - for a Mossberg 500 12g, from ?!?!?! Personally I've never seen anyone offering this setup, but if exists, I'd certainly consider it. Anyone got a URL?

2. The pipe, or threaded choke tube idea, I would think has some merit, I see a company called "Spikes Tactical" who makes fake cans for AR style rifles... that screw on and cover up the barrel, or extend... obviously in my case covering up the barrel would work well... I think. Anyone seen anything like this for sale for a 12g barrel anywhere?

Since the barrel is for slugs (fully rifled) - I don't want to chop it. I have on occasion moved the bipod barrel rail mount forward, and that does work fine, so I guess I could continue to do that... was just looking for a more finished solution to the problem.

-M3

ebutler462
April 9, 2007, 12:06 PM
I repeat that the neatest job can be done with either soft or silver solder. I would use regular soft solder instead of silver as it takes a lot of heat to melt silver solder. Much easier to work with.

mcubed4130
April 9, 2007, 12:18 PM
I would use regular soft solder instead of silver as it takes a lot of heat to melt silver solder. Much easier to work with.

Can you toss me a brand of solder you like, and perhaps a URL on how to use it? Or would I be better off just showing up at my local gunsmith, and having them do it? (knowing in advance that soft solder is a good method of dealing with this issue).

-M3

ebutler462
April 9, 2007, 12:27 PM
This type repair is best done by a gunsmith so that the proper flux is used. He might want to use silver solder. Most gun repairs, including installing polychokes is done with soft solder. Double barreled guns are held together with soft solder. Good stuff. He will not overheat your barrel enough that it loses its strength. Having a gunsmith do it will make for pretty work.

Bill DeShivs
April 9, 2007, 12:57 PM
Soft solder certainly will not cure your problem. It would be blown out on the first shot, as would duct tape.
Properly shortening your barrel will have no effect on shooting slugs. This is your best bet.
Welding the holes closed is not a viable option, either.
Bill

publius
April 10, 2007, 03:59 PM
nothing you do is going to look good except for a new barrel. If you just want to lessen the sound at the range duct tape will work. Friend of mine bought a mossy 835 when they first came out and brought it into my duck blind. Damn thing killed us with the noise. Told him he couldn't bring it back unless he found a way to cover the ports. The duct tape worked.

liliysdad
April 10, 2007, 06:47 PM
If you cut and crown the barrel, it may actually shoot better than it does now. The shorter barrel will be stiffer, and thus, theoretically, more prone to accuracy. I would also move the bipod to the mag tube if it were mine.

Another good trick to improve slug accuracy is to drill and tap for a 8-40 screw in the front of the receiver, through the barrel, thus improving the lockup. I have seen this mod decrease groups by 40% by itself.

Fat White Boy
April 10, 2007, 08:38 PM
You can buy a new barrel for under $200...

ebutler462
April 10, 2007, 10:31 PM
Or you can get a gunsmith to silver solder it for much less. It seems that some post belittle soft solder so try silver solder. I used regular solder to close the ports in my Condor Supreme. Still shooting it. This gun may have different ports than mine so only a gunsmith can really tell. Don't take my word. Get a professional opinion. I don't want to be responsible for it.

Rangefinder
April 10, 2007, 11:13 PM
Solder is NOT an option. Soldering is an adhesive bond--in other words, "metal glue", and a shotgun barrel is way too thin to provide any amount of surface for the solder to get a solid grip on. Once the adhesion gives out, the pressure will blow the solder plugs to who-knows-where at dangerous velocities. Don't even think about it.

mcubed4130
April 11, 2007, 12:51 AM
I have noted many people mentioned just buying a new barrel.

Does anyone have a weblink to someone who makes a fully rifled slug barrel w/cantilever scope mount - for the Mossberg 500?

-M3

Hkmp5sd
April 11, 2007, 01:32 AM
Put a hose clamp over it. :)

http://www.breezeclamps.com/images/tbolt.gif

Or buy a new barrel, as previously suggested.

Bill DeShivs
April 11, 2007, 01:53 AM
Unless shortening the barrel will take the length below 18", this is the only sensible route. You gain nothing by keeping the length, and shortening is inexpensive.
Bill

BillCA
April 11, 2007, 02:20 AM
Does anyone have a weblink to someone who makes a fully rifled slug barrel w/cantilever scope mount - for the Mossberg 500?

You just aren't looking hard enough... :D

Checkout Midway USA (http://www.midwayusa.com)

Mossberg 500 Barrel 12 Gauge 3" 24" Rifled with Integral Scope Base Ported Blue (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=356256)
Product #: 356256
Manufacturer #: 92056
Our Price: $147.99

They also have a parkerized Mossberg 500 Barrel 12 Gauge 3" 24" Rifled with Integral Scope Base Ported Parkerized (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=732068)

RsqVet
April 11, 2007, 06:39 AM
Come on folks the obvious solution is JB Weld... great stuff, I even used it once to install a spark plug when we stripped the hole.. good thing it was a platinum plug that was 40,000 miles ago...

I am NOT serious, please do not try that, while tig welding / re-maching of the barrel could remove the ports it would be many times the cost of a new barrel.

mcubed4130
April 11, 2007, 10:38 AM
You just aren't looking hard enough...

Checkout Midway USA

Mossberg 500 Barrel 12 Gauge 3" 24" Rifled with Integral Scope Base Ported Blue
Product #: 356256
Manufacturer #: 92056
Our Price: $147.99

Heya BillCa, long time - haven't seen ya at our local gun guy's place in a while! Hope all is well.

In the meantime... I like your recommendation... So once I buy another PORTED barrel, to fix my current problem with my PORTED barrel, I'll be fine?? :D

I think one of us needs more coffee! :) btw, this barrel at Midway - IS the barrel I have.

-M3

ceetee
April 11, 2007, 11:44 AM
Looks like the only thing you can do for a new barrel is to get a cylinder bored "security" model with just a plain bead.

Mossberg USA (http://www.mossberg.com/products/access.asp?type=barrels&section=access)

BillCA
April 12, 2007, 03:11 AM
:o Mcubed, my bad. I'll plead being bleary eyed that late at night. :cool:

Just checked the Mossberg website and it doesn't seem like they make an unported slug barrels. :confused: Try emailing Mossberg anyhow. They may have some unported barrels hanging around a warehouse they don't think they can sell.

I was over at Joe's two weeks ago and bought some Fiochhi .357. His ammo prices are always better than I can get elsewhere in town.

WeedWacker
April 12, 2007, 08:44 AM
Have you considered a regular slug barrel and getting taps for scope mounts if there aren't any already? or would that be too easy ;) (if not impossible) I have a mossy 500 slug gun that has been tapped for scope mounts and I have a Bushnell I think on it 3.5x-5x. Works wonderfully. Dead accurate (proved literally last hunt) with Winchester Supreme Platinum Tips.

mcubed4130
April 12, 2007, 05:22 PM
Have you considered a regular slug barrel and getting taps for scope mounts if there aren't any already? or would that be too easy (if not impossible) I have a mossy 500 slug gun that has been tapped for scope mounts...

What is a "regular slug barrel"? you mean just improved choke or cylinder bore?

Regardless. My Mossberg 500, runs 3 - different barrel configs.

18.5" cylinder (bead sight) - home defense (#00 buck + ok slug performance)
28" improved (bead sight) - hunting or clay pigeon, etc... (tend to run birdy #6)
24" fully rifled (scoped on barrel cantilever and ported) - target shooting (sabots or slugs)

So in my setup, I'm avoiding putting anything mounted on the receiver, that may interfere with swapping barrels on demand.

-M3

buck460XVR
April 12, 2007, 08:24 PM
I have an older rifled slug barrel with the cantilever mounts for my 500 and it's not ported.....funny they don't make it anymore. Did you know that Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88 barrels are interchangeable within gauge and capacity?

mcubed4130
April 27, 2007, 05:09 PM
Ok guys... I accomplished getting deported right here in America... and you thought it only happened in movies anymore... :D

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/mcubed4130/mcubed4130_mossberg_long_range_de-p.jpg

Big thanks to my local gunsmith! all though I know he'll NEVER say yes to such a low price ever again, as he had quite a time, getting this thing made. :)

-M3

williamd
April 27, 2007, 07:02 PM
:eek: Duct tape will cure most things! But, like solder (unless some great sliver solder I don't know about) it will not stand the heat. It will take welding and grinding/filing, I think. Touchy on a bll as thin as a shotgun .. but can be done. Rem 870 bbls can be had new for ~$200 so good advice from those who say 'buy'.

A shop in City of Industry 'de-ported' one for me and I had a bll that was 22" long left. Then, had them do TruChokes for me ..... only cost slightly more than a new gun! Great work though!:D

BUT, certainly no nicer than what you had done. Nice work. Ask him about an over/under?

WeedWacker
April 28, 2007, 02:08 AM
What is a "regular slug barrel"? you mean just improved choke or cylinder bore?

I am not sure ifyou and I are referring to the same thing. I have a dedicated rifled slug barrel for both my mossy 500 and 870 express. It is just a rifled barrel for a shotgun. No chokes. If any choke it would probably be improved or full.

HuntAndFish
April 29, 2007, 01:59 AM
Hey mcubed4130, that even looks good! Very..."tactical". ;)

mcubed4130
April 30, 2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks! I like the look alot also. Haven't gotten it down to the range yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

-M3

SteelyNirvana
May 5, 2007, 07:04 PM
Is it just me or is the ported barrel guns louder than the non-ported?. I shot an old 12ga that didn't have a ported barrel when I was 18,didn't make my ear ring and I ran thru about 50 rounds. Got a Mossy 500A 12ga last year when I was 24 and the first shot had my ear's ringing'. Why did Mossberg go with the ported barrels? Will a barrel of an older 500(Non-ported) fit on a newer gun?. I'm am guessing from the previous post that nobody has found a non-ported rifled slug barrel. Lastly, I'm guessing that accuracy will greatly suffer if you fire regular shot out of a rifled barrel,right?

Thanks,
Brian Craig